Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #121
Top Contributor

Do you have to pay for the return delivery ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Yes, he gives you options for the speed/cost. For mine from NY to CA was 3-days FedEx at $28.00 and I could have picked 4-5 days at $21.00.

I think those are good prices because they are also insured if lost.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull View Post
Anyone have any mileage numbers after the Ivan flash?
Dabull,
I have a route that I rode prior to the flash. Not extremely scientific (windage, traffic, etc) but I rode it again today-very similar conditions and trip data. I picked up about 1 MPG. Before the flash I got 45.9 indicated/41.5 actual. After flash, 44.1 indicated/42.4 actual. I've been averaging 39-43 calculated quite regularly, so not a huge jump for me. Still, the performance increase was well worth it.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #124
Advanced Member

I called the shop and you do not need the Cobra FP. I then asked if leaving it on would be merely redundant or would it actually be a bad idea? He said leaving it on wouldn't do anything bad but it is not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I would be interested as well except that I would have to remove the ecu and that would mean downtime and the fact that spring has sprung says not now. As far as the heat issue, most of the heat that you feel actually comes from the rear header pipe, I installed the KAMS in my 2010 and it made a world of difference, and coupled with the heat shields I have on the bike, I get no heat at all.

It is too bad that Ivan does not do a one for one swap, as then I would probably go for it, he send me a revised one and I send him my stock one, I have tri ovals, the Alley kat air cleaner and the Cobra AT, I am wondering though if the flash just complements the Auto tuner or I can get rid of it all together?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #125

Hey all, the jury is still out on the mileage on my bike. Haven't been on a long ride yet, just riding to work everyday, and I can say that probably any gain will be wiped out cause it runs so much better that I find myself running it a lot harder now. Cant believe how hard it pulls compared to stock. For me it was money well spent. One thing I do notice is the cold start is not as good as stock, it wont fire as quick as it used to. It always starts but just makes ya freak for a second,lol, if that makes any sense.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo279 View Post
Hey VE3

What method did you ship your ECU to Ivan? I am currently in Arizona where I have my 2011 Voyager which I rode all winter. I spend the summers in Calgary (home) and when I return there in a few weeks I have purchased a 2015 Voyager (new) from my dealer and I am seriously considering sending the ECU from the new bike to Ivan for a flash. I don't want that process to take any longer than needed but don't want to break the bank with shipping costs either. Any info is appreciated on the best way to ship the ECU. Thanks.
I just shipped mine from Ontario. Expresspost, 3 days, with $850 insurance was $49.95 . I really wanted to do the overnight shipping but it will only cover up to $100 insurance.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #127

ok so i have about 600 miles now on the Ivanated ECU. There is defiantly a slight improvement in fuel mileage. But no one is ever going to see it in fact i bet most will have worse mileage. The problem is going to be for everyone the right wrist, it is going to twist so much after the update that all MPG benefits will be negated by acceleration over and over again so you can feel that insane pull and that incredible exhaust tone. Even with 2 up riding up hill it still pulls like a Mack Truck!!! My wife was on the back yesterday for the first time this year, she said to me "what the hell did you do to your motor?? I am getting a sore neck from having to hold it up every time you take off!!" lol Ivanated is now wife approved. hahaha
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
For me to eastern Ontario it was $55 US Shipping. There Shipping is more expensive then ours.
VBA #02668
2014 Voyager ABS
Thunder Mfg Tear-drop breather
V&H Slip on's
Ivanated ECU
Air shocks with compressor and remote
Rear speaker kit
Clarion Amp
6.5" speaker adapters
Polk Audio 6.5" front speaker.
RACNRAY ISO grips with throttle mod.
Bushtek Turbo 2+ trailer
LED Headlight
LED Driving lights
Pulsating break light

Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #129

Kinda sucks that Kawasaki can't tune these engines properly at the factory......

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBear View Post
Kinda sucks that Kawasaki can't tune these engines properly at the factory......
You can thank the EPA for that

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBear View Post
I said this in another thread a while back. Our cars run fine with all the emission requirements in place. Why can't the bike manufacturers do the same?

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I said this in another thread a while back. Our cars run fine with all the emission requirements in place. Why can't the bike manufacturers do the same?
Hummm I don't quite agree with this. I have a Mazda CX7 all stock and a friend of mine have the same car with mods and ECU flashed. Two totally different cars. Car runs fine but it is definitely castrated to meet EPA regulations

Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1968 View Post
Hummm I don't quite agree with this. I have a Mazda CX7 all stock and a friend of mine have the same car with mods and ECU flashed. Two totally different cars. Car runs fine but it is definitely castrated to meet EPA regulations
Yes I understand that it is castrated but our cars run much soother at very low speed and don't run hot in stop and go traffic like the bikes do.

Back when the smog devices came out for the cars they ran horrible. After a while the auto industry was able to take care of those problems. They do have less HP but run very smoothly now.

I do believe that the motorcycle industry can take care of these issues but chose not to because we still buy the products and do that ourselves.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #134
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Yes I understand that it is castrated but our cars run much soother at very low speed and don't run hot in stop and go traffic like the bikes do.

Back when the smog devices came out for the cars they ran horrible. After a while the auto industry was able to take care of those problems. They do have less HP but run very smoothly now.

I do believe that the motorcycle industry can take care of these issues but chose not to because we still buy the products and do that ourselves.
My Dodge Charger ran OK when new, but when I bought the Predator Tuner and flashed the ECU, I really felt the HEMI unleashed. Same with these bikes.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #135

I don't really see Kawasaki giving a crap about the issue. In the past manufacturers would work with the aftermarket to get corrective tools in the hands of their customers. For example, why is a device to communicate with the ECU an expensive, propriatory device? The release of the firmware protocol and communication specs as well as hardware specs would result in a flood of programming maps to the aftermarket. As it is, you have one guy named Ivan who had to literally disassemble the firmware and spend hours and hours experimenting with different memory addresses and data to figure it all out. It shouldn't be this way.

If Kawasaki just wants to kick bikes out of the factory that meet specs and pass muster, that's fine and from a legal perspective I understand that. But if you're someone who wants to get the most out of your bike without selling your soul then perhaps a Harley or Victory is the better choice. Just sayin........