Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
I wear all the gear all the time, as Tim says, not because I'm scared, I'm prepared.
Love this saying - not scared, prepared.

I always learn the hard way, but I am an official "convert" to ATTGATT. I've done it all - shorty helmet, no helmet, gear, no gear, sandals, running shoes. Then a close call with a moose in northern Washington put me into a full face helmet a few years ago. That was step #1 of recovery for me. Step #2 (and the final step) was a self inflicted loss of control low side inducing wreck with my '09 Nomad (RIP) with 55000kms on the summer of 2012. Riding with 3 girlfriends down in northeast Oregon, I overrode a twisty and away went the back tire. The bike rocketed away from me and sprung back after hitting the guardrail on the other side of the 2 lane highway and put the gear shift lever smartly through my shin. 3rd degree road rash from the middle of my back to my right baby finger tip, and nothing but a cherry on my right knee, not a scratch on my right hip. Amazing, really. I likely wouldn't have had a scratch (other than on my helmet) had I been wearing ALL of my gear. 100* in the shade that day, I had left my chaps, jacket and gloves in the saddlebag that morning. Had on my riding boots and my FF helmet - the results are in the photos I have attached.

I don't judge anyone regarding their gear - each to their own. But, I learned that I personally don't like road rash and also that I'm damn lucky to be alive. It's not "IF", it's "WHEN" is what I figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm .jpg (34.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Helmet 3.jpg (26.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Puncture.jpg (14.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Road rash.jpg (22.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Shoulder.jpg (40.7 KB, 36 views)
VBA#02788

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself."

2011 Vaquero - Ebony (AKA:"Pedro")
2012 Concours - Candy Arabian Red - sold
2010 Concours - Candy Neptune Blue - sold
2009 Nomad - Metallic Diablo Black - written off :(
2002 Mean Streak - Pearl Mystic Black - sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Kawgurl; 06-20-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawgurl View Post
I always learn the hard way, but I am an official "convert" to ATTGATT.
The reminder I had tattooed on my arm about 6 months later....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tatt.jpg (55.6 KB, 40 views)
VBA#02788

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself."

Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #108
Mega-Contributor

Ugh, I had two arms that looked like that after I went down on my 2007 Nomad 3 years ago. I still don't wear a jacket unless it's cold.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #109
Top Contributor

So far this year, I've worn ATGATT. There were a couple days recently when it was in the 90s and VERY humid. I could have gone out without a helmet and jacket but I didn't feel comfortable so I didn't ride. I have a Tourmaster armored mesh jacket that's good through the 90s if the humidity's low and good into the mid 80s if the humidity is high. Always jeans (chaps below 60, just for the protection...too hot after that), almost always boots but tennis shoes if I'm just going down to the corner store. I got a new modular helmet that I wear 90% of the time. (The other 10%, I wear my "old" 3/4 lid.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-21-2014, 03:11 AM   #110

..Dang..Are you sure that wasnt an ambush...that hole in your shin looks pretty much like 54 cal Hawkin Mt Rifle slug went thru there !

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Silent Sam; 06-22-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Dang..Are you sure that wasnt an ambush...that hole in your shin looks pretty much like 54 cal Hawkin Mt Rifle slug went thru there !
HA, Sam - I'm pretty sure. But - it did take me a while to figure out what exactly caused it. It got me right above the boot line, through my jeans too. The gear shift lever peg on that bike was exactly the same size. Couldn't ever prove it, but I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. Missed breaking the bone by about a 1/2". Lucky. 3 stitches and away I went.
VBA#02788

Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #112

..I'm sure glad you are able to tell the story....take care...

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #113
Top Contributor

I think we all know that ATGATT is the safest way to go but most of us believe accidents happen to other people. I always wear a full face helmet and boots and gloves but I am guilty of occasionally riding without a jacket if it is extremely warm. Life is full of risks and we would never drive or get on a plane if we thought we would not make it to our destination.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #114

After Ted went down last week I have gone back to my 3/4 helmet. I am looking for a comfortable DOT half helmet but his crash was a wake up call. I dont wear all my gear especially on days like today when its 99* and nearly 80% humidity. I actually wore shoes today instead boots. The heat on the ride yesterday was brutal. I have been lucky enough to walk away from 3 bad crashes, all more than 20 years ago but I don't heal as quick or complete as I used to. Stay safe.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #115

My wreck in 2011 was my wake-up call.

I may not wear complete protection, as per professional riders, but I have since my wreck worn a helmet and gloves at all times. (Long pants, boots and such have always been part of my clothing -- even on the hottest of days).

The day of my wreck I did have a helmet, jacket, boots and etc... but not gloves.

My hand was the only major injury -- thus I am always wearing gloves from then on -- period. Never again am I going through a battle-axe nurse holding me down while digging gravel and sand out of a two-inch cut on my palm -- then having them put stitches in after. There are other parts I would let people kick before doing that again. Let's just say... it sucked.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #116

Greg, I woke up from a crash in 1993 in Virginia Beach VA. What woke me up was the sound of the gravel coming out of my arms and hitting the little metal pan. The nurse said it was as gentle as she could do it but I know she was ripping my flesh off with each wipe!!
That crash was my last to date thank goodness. I learned some valuable lessons after that one.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 07-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #117

Wow!!! These are some really horrible crash stories. Thanks for sharing, folks and the pictures really bring it home. I have always worn a FF helmet. These days I have a FF modular by Gmax. I like Shoei, but cannot afford them. I like the built in visor (shades) I also really like the red flashing light w/3 patterns on the back. I usually wear half gloves 'til the temp gets close to 50, then full gloves. I always wear jeans and boots. Right now I wear Milwaukee Harness boots with the full length zipper. I have chaps and a leather jacket/coat and wear them on rides when the temp is 50ish or lower. In cold weather as long as there is no ice I will ride and have polypropylene top and bottom for that. In cool or warm weather, I wear a long sleeve t-shirt and my vest on club rides with jeans 1/2 gloves and boots. In hot weather t-shirt, jeans and 1/2 gloves with my vest on club rides.
I never ride without a helmet, even to the store for milk, etc. With the time change when I ride to work I wear a reflective vest along with the flashing light on my helmet. No leather jacket or chaps as they will not fit over my duty belt. Again with cold weather I have a heavy thick denim jacket that I can/do wear over my uniform.

I have learned a few things from the posts here and may make a few wardrobe changes from here on out. Thanks for sharing and thanks for allowing me to "listen in".

Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #118

I wear a half helmet when I have to and no helmet when I can. I have had more severe injuries sitting at my kitchen table than I have had on any of my bike mishaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut.jpg (38.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cut 2.jpg (33.3 KB, 16 views)

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #119

DEEEE AM HwyRider !! you have to remember to unload your 1911 45 ...when your going to clean it !

What ever is the cause of your injury..I hope it's all better by now !

Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #120

I was trying to quit smoking. I was sitting at my kitchen table and choked on a peppermint losenger. I got up and hit the tile floor with my glasses on. The frame of the glasses pancaked through the forehead. Went to the er and waited 5 hours to get stiched up. I finally ended up walking out and butterfly stitching it myself.

The week before I had a dremel go through my hand with a carbide cutting bit. Went down to the bone. Cleaned it out with peroxide and super glued it shut.

I've had bumps, bruises, and scrapes over the years from bikes but nothing that would keep me off of one or change what gear I ride in. I've dumped bikes with no helmet on and with a helmet on.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium