Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #91
Sr. Contributor

TFI Settings for 1500/1600 Nomad

Well I can only base line off my 2 pingomatics.... The 01 was delicate 2 up with a trailer all stock, and the 06 was no better, while it has no hitch ...yet

I don't mind making an error on the side of caution,. The other error gets you a toasted set of exhaust valves.. and maybe even nice burned hole right thru the top of a piston.

Another point is when you can hear ping, ping has occured long before you know it did.

There is no ping sensors on Nomads like there is on a Volvo. The sensor there 'hears' the ping and adds fuel, or in another way changes and alters mix, and can even cause the engine to skip a beat, or beats if the ping gets that bad. And all before a human can tell.

In my book I just never want to hear ping ever.. It is hard on main bearing rod bearings, and the shaft. If it is bad enough it will stretch out a cam chain before it's time, trying to drive the crank backwards whether or not it does..

Ping ruins the smooth linear flow as BD would say in the crank rotation.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #92
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Having re-read the entire thread,... I'm back to report ...... The TFI is in place along with the duel Caddmann kit in place. Marbleized , debaffled,....the "full Monty". I have tried my best to tweak the tfi and think I might have it pretty close.
My settings are 3:00, 3:45... {maybe 4:00}, 1:00, and 9:00.
I may have missed it, but what is the purpose of the 4th pot again? Someone said they were running their 4th pot at 8:oo or 8ish. I called Dobeck because I wanted clarification on the settings. They don't specify the numbers for the Nomad. They didn't hesitate in telling me to just put the 4th at 9:00. Almost to the extent that they do with the #3 pot being off.
Because the bike has only been out on a 2 day permit, I don't have #'s for mileage. But the difference in "get up and go" seems to big.

My plan was to have the TFI tweaked by having the bike dyno'ed. But I got hold of someone who most people swear by and he said he usually only does Harley, but would make an exception because who my referrals were.
Anyway.... after telling him what I had done to the Nomad in the way of mods, and what I had in for a "controller" he pretty much said he'd do his best but that the Techlusion was pretty much "stone age" and he didn't like them and continued to tell me they were "crap". So I thanked him for his time, and that I had heard about all the insults I wanted to hear and would let him get back to trying to make the Harley's run better. And hung up. *&#@ ing self righteous harley people.
If there are any opinions on settings please let me know.
Thanks

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #93
Sr. Contributor

I stole this right off the Dobeck TFI site, and took out the parts about 4 banger and other engines. Only V Twin info is here.

UNDERSTANDING AND ADJUSTING THE POTS:

Green Fuel Pot aka Pot 1: (functions like a fuel mixture screw on a carburetor)
Adjusts for the motorcycle's fuel requirements during light load operation, from idle through legal highway cruising speeds and steady throttle, at or below the rpm set by your rpm set pot. We have found that manufacturers have generally leaned out the fuel mixtures for emissions to a specific rpm (see below). To set this pot, make sure the motorcycle is up to a full operating temperature, then while in neutral, pick a fast idle that is not easy to hold a steady rpm (V-twins 1800-2200 rpm and multiple cylinders 2500-3000 rpm), hold the throttle at that spot and then slowly and evenly turn the green pot clockwise from its minimum setting, while listening to the exhaust sound. You should hear the exhaust sound change form an irregular and uneven sound to an even and smooth one. You may also see an increase in rpm as you increase fuel, and if you continue to increase fuel past this point to where the revs start to fall back away, then you can stop and start returning the pot screw back to a point half way between where the exhaust note first smoothed out and the point where the highest rpm starts to fall away.

Yellow Fuel Pot aka Pot 2: (functions like an accelerator pump)
This fuel adjustment adds fuel into the fuel map whenever the throttle is opened rapidly. This pot needs to be adjusted from test riding, by performing brisk roll-ons in a specific gear, and by always starting at the exact same rpm. Try one clock position increases between roll-on tests until you can't feel any more improvement, and then go back to the last setting that improvement was noticed. Some models won't require as much fuel as others, so while increasing the yellow by one clock position increments if the motorcycle starts to decrease in throttle response, then turn the yellow back one and a half clock positions

Red Fuel Pot aka Pot 3: (functions like a main jet on a carburetor)
This fuel adjustment adds fuel under large load conditions and is generally required when either air intake or quality exhaust system changes occur. This addition happens automatically using our unique load sensing technology, and similar to the road test procedure listed above in yellow fuel, test riding while increasing red fuel will find an optimum setting.

RPM Switch Pot aka Pot 4:

Metric V-twins Sets the rpm that the green and yellow fuel turns off and the red (main jet) turns on. This adjustment is achieved by setting the pot to about 70% of redline (for example a Metric V-twins redline is 5800 rpm and 4000 is 70% of redline) which would be 4:00 o'clock. Verify this setting by revving the bike in neutral and watching for the green and yellow light to go out at the chosen rpm.
.................................................. ..................................................

I stole this from gadjet, which is his comments on pot 4

The 4th pot tells the unit when to segue from the 'idle/cruise' mode to the higher power (red) mode. Set this at 9:00 for the transfer to take place at 4000 rpm. Lower if you want it to transfer earlier than that. Keep in mind 4000 rpm is 48 mph in second gear, 64 mph in third gear, 79 in 4th and nearly 98 in 5th. Set the RPM pot lower than 9:00 and you could be enriching the mixture at normal cruising speeds and wondering where your fuel mileage went.
AND
Pot #4 determines at what rpm the 'main' pot comes on. The recommended setting (for a TFI) is 9:00 which is 4000 rpm. Setting the fourth pot to 9 keeps enrichment from the #1 pot coming on until that 4000 rpm threshold is reached. After that the stock ECU is providing plenty of fuel.
.................................................. ...................................

gadjets page
http://www.gadgetjq.com/tfi.htm

TFI Site with the above info
http://dobeckperformance.com/TFI/adjustTFI.asp

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #94

Wow!!! I just finished reading all "7" pages of this thread and all I can say is WOW!!! The people involved on this site are wonderful and are so "helping" to one another. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for putting their opinions and observations into this. In my opinion, anyone (including myself) will benefit greatly from this thread. Someday (hopefully soon) I will get to order my programmer and will have a much better understanding about what I am in for and how to set it right for me. Ride Safe and LONG LIVE KAWANOW!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnomad08
Wow!!! I just finished reading all "7" pages of this thread and all I can say is WOW!!! The people involved on this site are wonderful and are so "helping" to one another. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for putting their opinions and observations into this. In my opinion, anyone (including myself) will benefit greatly from this thread. Someday (hopefully soon) I will get to order my programmer and will have a much better understanding about what I am in for and how to set it right for me. Ride Safe and LONG LIVE KAWANOW!!!
Yeah, great thread. I also just realized that if you go to the last thread of the last page of a multipage thread and click the print option, you get a nice minimal printout of the entire thread without the pictures and sigs, etc. Keeps the printout pages to a minimum and great for saving in your bike file.....!

Pete

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #96

Caddman mod is half done....waiting for the sealant to dry on the left side before putting it back together. The right side is done. I also took the opportunity to find my injectors, and I should be able to reach them tilting the tank up, and propping with a wooden block. UPS says my TFI will be here tomorow, so I'll be hooking it up after work.......and see in person what you guys are all talking about.
Someone asked about my pipes....they're Cobra True Duals.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #97

ok, Caddman mod is complete, TFI installed. Fired her up and once she got warmed up, idled very smoothly. I set the first pot per the directions, and the others to the recommended settings. I can't take her out for a spin because it's raining very hard. Supposed to clear up tomorrow. I'll make other adjustments on the fly, but she sure sounds great revving her in the garage.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #98
Top Contributor

hard to believe when I started this thread it would have about 100 hits. I have mine set about where I will leave them I think. 2:30, 6:00, 1:00, 9:00. i have literally NO ping in any gear and throttle postion. No popping back through the throttle body(like I did when pot #2 was set at 3:00). i couldnt ask for a better TFI now. i dont think its stone age at all. it just aint harley,lol.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #99
Top Contributor

Hi Doc, I collated the TFI numbers from the guys who have posted. Your numbers are in the "zone". Seeing as basically only 2 pots are used the majority have numbers very similar to yours (and mine).

Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #100

Took the 'Nad for a spin today. The sound of air getting sucked into the right intake will take a little getting used to, but the increase in gitty-up makes up for it. She sounds down right mean now.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #101

My TFI will be delivered Thursday. I'm working nights. Hopefully I'll be able to get up early enough on Friday to install it and do a little tuning. I think I'll remove the tank or at least block up the back end on Thursday to give me a little head start for Friday.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #102

Finished the installation and beginning settings are 3, 3, 1, & 9. I tried to make it ping dumping the throttle at low end torque. No pinging apparent. Throttle response is much more aggressive and the engine runs significantly cooler. I am well satisfied with the product. I will try tweaking pot #2 up a little. Pot #1 seems OK where it is. I'll try to ride normally to check the fuel economy later. Thanks to all who offered the good advise. It sure helped.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Glenn, thats exactly how my bike ran. I had to drive my Nomad based on the pinging. What a drag!

I think the biggest mileage reduction some have experienced is because now that the pinging is gone and the Nomad runs so much cooler and better, some are goosing the throttle with a lot more vigor than they did before! I have no problem with that! Would you?!!

Trust me, with the pinging disappearing and the cool running motor you will be stoked!!
Thanks Blowndodge and thanks for your replies on the Delphi forum too. So.....even if I leave my intake and exhaust stock I can still expect improvement. Right??? I know you had mentioned mods were done to you Nomad. Did you try the TFI while your bike was stock or did you install it after the mods. The answer I'm hoping to receive back is from someone that installed the TFI while their Nomad was totally stock and hear what results were achieved. I do understand each bike will probably run it's best at different settings.
Thanks again!

Glenn
Glenn,
My 2007 is completely stock except for the de-baffle. I noticed a marked improvement in performance and no pinging. I haven't checked mpg yet but will this week. We are supposed to have beautiful weather and I'll be off until next Tuesday. Plenty of time to tinker and ride.

Mitch

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 04-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #104
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Hey Doc, or anyone else for that matter,.....I have my settings at 3, 3:45 - 4:00, 1, and 9. Doc you suggested bringing the #2 pot up to 6:ish. I haven't done that YET, but I was out with a friend with him behind and he said there was no black/gas showing, but he said he got a "wiff" of gas twice on deceleration. What adjustment would you say was to blame for that? Or possible cause for it. The bike performs great so I'm hoping any adj. won't interfere. What do you guys think?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #105

Ricky, Maybe pot #1 needs to be backed down just a little. Pull your plugs and if they are darker than tan you may be a little rich. If you have to back #1 down, I'd go 15 minutes at a time. If your plugs are tan or lighter, I'd leave the settings where they are. I'm by far not an expert with this as I just installed mine but I've done a lot of reading and I don't think #2 is the culprit if there is a problem being a little rich. It is only for heavy acceleration.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482