Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #91
Advanced Member

I have had my "Ivanized" ECU back in my bike now for about 11 days since I got it back with nasty cold snowy blowy days so far, and finally, this weekend, the weather is going to be just good enough to take it out for a good test run. This has been driving me insane the bike just sitting in the shop waiting to get out. Nice to see how well this has worked out for others up to this point. Looking forward to a run to over 100MPH+....this makes sleeping at night very difficult.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #92
Advanced Member

Was all set to get this done at the end of the month. Didn't latch the saddle bag this morning and didn't notice till I got to work. Traced my path back and found my back pack on the highway. What was left of it. And I found the case for my hearing aids, empty. Too dark and on a major highway between Dallas and Ft Worth, couldn't look around for them.

I could handle not hearing the wife, but those came in really handy at work.

Even with the warranty, I'll be paying for 2 ecu flashes now.

Guess now more than ever, I need to dig through all my parts and start putting them on craigslist.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #93
Advanced Member

Wow....sorry to hear that Scooter! Hope you can rectify it all and come out on top.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #94
Advanced Member

I'll find a way to get it done. Might not be a happy anniversary for some as it is me. ;)
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #95

SCOOTER .. THAT SUCKS ..THEM LITTLE EAR PILLS ARE EXPENSIVE .. HOW DID THE BAG COME OPEN I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THE SIDE OPENING BAGS HAVE TO BE LOCKED WITH THE KEY AND IF WERE NOT LOCKED YOU COULDNT GET THE KEY OUT..sorry had to post in all caps so scooter could hear what I was typing.... ������

MidIAVoyager
Randy V.
VBA Member #03330

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #96
Advanced Member

Right...if the bag door isn't secured into the latch the key will remain stuck in the hole and if you can turn it into the locking position with the bag door open and pull the key, the door falls down thus indicating it's open. Seems like a little mystery going on here.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1128 View Post
I can speak for a 2015 Vaquero and let me tell you. You will be very impressed with the new tuning. I got a chance to put 200 miles on mine this past weekend. Very responsive, NO decal pop at all, and more power. I really had a hard time staying out of it. Believe me, I put the throttle to it and also used engine braking at high rpm's and I had no issue whatsoever. I do have Cobra tri flo slip ons and man they sounded good. Best thing I have done to mine was Ivan's flash. I still cannot believe that my Vaquero can perform this good. More than satisfied.
Tim: was the 02 Sensor hard to disconnect? It goes to the ECU, right? So you had to disconnect at both ends and replace the bunge? Then you sent Ivan the ECU?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #98
Top Contributor

I lost an expensive pair of motorcycle gloves when the side opening bag opened on my 2005 Nomad. A guy in a truck on the highway alerted me to the fact I was riding along with the bag open. I thought it was locked when I left home.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #99
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_ipp View Post
Hi Guys,

Look what I have done for you guys.... more than a year has been invested in this project including the reverse engineering, software development, testing and tuning.

All the available info is on my site here:
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vn1700.htm

The 2015 & up models should be available by 3-1-2016

Specific tech questions need to be directed directly to me at my shop by phone or by PM.

Thanks very much,

Ivan
Can you change the rate of throttle opening, like a quick throttle? This should be possible as it has throttle by wire. Some bikes with throttle by wire have a dynamic mode that does this.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #100
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
The 02 gets turned off in the programming, and then unplugged ....it's the only way to have a stable fuel mixture.

Ivan
How is that? Without the Os sensor, what is the final arbiter of mixture? From what I have read about some bikes with O2 sensors is that it's not the sensor that is a problem, but narrow band versus wide band. On an engine that has adaptive electronics, like knock sensors and such, not sure I'd do this.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Tim: was the 02 Sensor hard to disconnect? It goes to the ECU, right? So you had to disconnect at both ends and replace the bunge? Then you sent Ivan the ECU?
The connector is behind the right side side cover... You can leave the sensor in the pipe or remove it the choice is yours.

It just needs to be unplugged from the harness.

Takes 30 secs.

Ivan

Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
How is that? Without the Os sensor, what is the final arbiter of mixture? From what I have read about some bikes with O2 sensors is that it's not the sensor that is a problem, but narrow band versus wide band. On an engine that has adaptive electronics, like knock sensors and such, not sure I'd do this.

This bike doesn't use this sensor at more than 40% throttle, and it's not adaptive for anything except elevation and temperature.

The previous model (11-14) has the sensor programming, but it's turned off inside.

You can believe what you want... But, O2 the sensor is nothing more than a nanny for the epa to keep the catalyst hot and make the bike run as lean as they want it to be for emissions.
(14.5-1 is lean... very lean....lean to the point of lightly surging and can easily be felt on the dyno and can be easily seen on the MAP sensor datalogs) I would never run any of my bikes at 14.5-1 anywhere except at throttle openings less than 3%.

If you want further discussion, please call on the phone during business hours.

There may be many people that have opinions about these things, but it all goes bye bye once you get inside, make the tests, and see how it actually works.

Ivan

Old 03-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #103

I talked to Ivan this morning. I will be sending my ecu out asap. While its gone I will be removing my PCV and auto tune system. Might go ahead and do my 6.5 speaker upgrade and amp upgrade while i'm at it.
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #104
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
This bike doesn't use this sensor at more than 40% throttle, and it's not adaptive for anything except elevation and temperature.

The previous model (11-14) has the sensor programming, but it's turned off inside.

You can believe what you want... But, O2 the sensor is nothing more than a nanny for the epa to keep the catalyst hot and make the bike run as lean as they want it to be for emissions.
(14.5-1 is lean... very lean....lean to the point of lightly surging and can easily be felt on the dyno and can be easily seen on the MAP sensor datalogs) I would never run any of my bikes at 14.5-1 anywhere except at throttle openings less than 3%.

If you want further discussion, please call on the phone during business hours.

There may be many people that have opinions about these things, but it all goes bye bye once you get inside, make the tests, and see how it actually works.

Ivan
My limited knowledge is from BMW bikes. The system is different and while they do run lean for the EPA, not much power can be made in the same way as here. Rideability, yes, like idle and transition from idle, etc, but there is a limitation with the stock narrow band O2 sensor too. I know of a couple people that have used the wide band sensor with programmable O2 sensor spoofer that have gotten good results. The roadblock with the O2 sensor with a good engine management system is that the system tends to make re-adjustments to the stock map and ratios if changes are made to other sensors. In other words spoofing the temp sensor only works when in open loop on cold start. Once the engine warms up, the computer adapts around it. As much as computers and sensors get a bad rap, they can enable engines with high compression to run on pump gas and in a pinch, something less than optimal. I have to wonder if the O2 sensor is taken out, how adaptable is the computer in terms of diverse riding conditions. I've ridden behind enough retuned bikes to know that a lot of them run way too rich and would have to wonder how that factors into reliability in the long run.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #105

As long as the temp and altitude corrections are correct, the system adapts perfectly.

Without the proper datalogging and other tuning software and equipment, it's very easy to get things too rich.... this happens quite often with current, common tuning equipment.

Once you have a stable tuning platform, and you adjust the correct parts of the system, the system holds it's tune perfectly without any tricks and in all riding conditions.
There is no way to properly tune a bike like this from outside the ECU.

It fuels by cylinder, and also by gear, and also how quickly you move the throttle.
It also has timing by gear and also by cylinder and in addition, it has some other ignition issues that are unique to this bike, that I won't get into.

With a system that is constantly changing it's fuel and ignition tune depending on what gear it's in, (or how quickly you move the throttle) it's blatantly obvious that it cannot be done properly with an external tuner or simple tricks.

So far, everyone is reporting better than stock mileage and cooler running temps.... Engine oil lasts longer as well as coolant, heat is wear on everything and is the worst enemy.

If I put my name on it, I'm 100% sure that it's right.

Ivan