Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Do you have the same opinion on loud pipes as Dan
my opinion falls in the middle somewhere.i like a motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle verses a hoover.some after market pipes are two loud for me so
I tend to lean towards the cobras complete with there baffles installed, when we
are talking about cruiser bikes,i think the vance and hines are to loud.when talking about sportier four cylinder bikes I think the v & h and yoshimura slip
ons sound good without being to loud.to me any pipe with out the baffles not only runs and sounds bad but is extremely annoying.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #77

Yeah, I could buy you that drink
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #78
Advanced Member

Sorry like the others about the tragedy of that pair on the Harley. I always feel we need to be heard on our scoots and here in Oregon we have pretty relaxed noise laws. I would in Edmonton (beautiful city) consider when you purchase your aftermarket pipes see if the "quiet" baffles are available for the pipe/s you choose. They will still sound great, a little muted to keep the heat off your hiney, etc. .. you get the point.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #79
Advanced Member

After attending the Kootenay rally I became convinced that I need to get an aftermarket exhaust, either V&Hs, which several attendees had or Cobras which are apparently a bit quieter. It is not for reasons of getting better sound but rather for performance (intake and controller included).

With that said, I didn't think the V&H were particularly loud and sounded pretty good. One of our members told us, as I recall the conversation, that he had quieted his V&Hs by removing the baffles, taking the stuffing out of them and then wrapping them with what I believe was exhaust wrap.

And yes that is very sad about your friends. An old Navy friend of mine now lies in a coma, with one leg removed above the knee and on kidney dialysis. He is a very experienced rider and a riding instructor. It is getting very dangerous out there. I had two near misses on my Kootenay ride, one on the way and one on the way home. In both cases idiots cut right in front of me.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #80

While I don't like the idea of a law that only applies to motorcycles, I don't think that 92 decibels at idle is too much to ask when a commercial truck (Peterbilt, Kenworth, International, ect) are limited to 80 dB in a drive by noise test. Admittedly, the trucks will only pass if the engine fan is off during the test. Keep in mind that 90 dB is twice as loud as 80 dB (97 dB is almost 4 times louder than 80 dB). Also, OSHA daily permissible noise level exposure is 6 hours at 92 dB and 3 hours at 97 dB.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeviam View Post
While I don't like the idea of a law that only applies to motorcycles, I don't think that 92 decibels at idle is too much to ask when a commercial truck (Peterbilt, Kenworth, International, ect) are limited to 80 dB in a drive by noise test. Admittedly, the trucks will only pass if the engine fan is off during the test. Keep in mind that 90 dB is twice as loud as 80 dB (97 dB is almost 4 times louder than 80 dB). Also, OSHA daily permissible noise level exposure is 6 hours at 92 dB and 3 hours at 97 dB.
...And I thought my math was bad! . And it is, especially with all those metric conversions . Cheers.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeviam View Post
While I don't like the idea of a law that only applies to motorcycles, I don't think that 92 decibels at idle is too much to ask when a commercial truck (Peterbilt, Kenworth, International, ect) are limited to 80 dB in a drive by noise test. .
And there is the issue, the police in their infinite wisdom often test at roadside, not on a drive by. Through experience of course the bike is going to be loud sitting there in neutral while you rev the engine. Do a drive by at the recommended rpm and speed and watch the db level go down.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220