Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I run 10% ethanol in every gas powered machine I own.
Car, truck, motorcycles, lawn mowers, weed eaters, DR trimmer, chain saw and snow blower.
I ran it for 88,000 miles on my 07 Nomad. I have run it for 3 years in my 01 carberated Drifter.
I store the summer machines in the winter and the winter machines in the summer.
I store each one with a full tank of gas and the proper amount of gasoline stabilizer.
My gas lines are not rotted and everything still runs the way it is supposed to.
Worry, worry, worry, I'm just sayin..............................

Damn, you're good.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Damn, you're good.
Thank You
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #78

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Car, truck, motorcycles, lawn mowers, weed eaters, DR trimmer, chain saw and snow blower.
I ran it for 88,000 miles on my 07 Nomad. I have run it for 3 years in my 01 carberated Drifter.
I store the summer machines in the winter and the winter machines in the summer.
I store each one with a full tank of gas and the proper amount of gasoline stabilizer.
My gas lines are not rotted and everything still runs the way it is supposed to.
Living life on the edge and pushing the envelope every day!

I got one better. I forget to do it some years and if I do remember to do it, I forgot I did it.

Do you also remove the tags from you chairs and mattresses and mail them to the IRS with your tax return and scream to the sky, "Ef YOU FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"?

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Damn, you're good.
More like a fly over glittering Los Vegas at night SENSATIONAL!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #80

..As for Ethanol in today's gasolines, I'v run it with no problems for all the years its been a common additive at the pump...(but I avoid it when possible)

Walked past my big yamaha, electric start, back-up generator..sitting in the back corner of my car-port, yesterday,...Saw the red light was on..on the Battery Tender JR, that I keep hooked to it...tho the desulfanator was still blinking as it should !
On a closer inspection I saw one terminal on the battery tender had sat so long it rotted off (it's been over a year since i checked it out)...Anyway i pulled the generator out on the drive and opened the fuel valve and hit the starter...it fired up like it had been running an hour befor...(the Battery was bought with the generator in 2003)...Point Being..The generator has sat for over a year with Calif 87 octane unleaded gas in the tank -But I added STA-BIL to the fuel when I filled it, that stuff works !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..As for Ethanol in today's gasolines, I'v run it with no problems for all the years its been a common additive at the pump...(but I avoid it when possible)

Walked past my big yamaha, electric start, back-up generator..sitting in the back corner of my car-port, yesterday,...Saw the red light was on..on the Battery Tender JR, that I keep hooked to it...tho the desulfanator was still blinking as it should !
On a closer inspection I saw one terminal on the battery tender had sat so long it rotted off (it's been over a year since i checked it out)...Anyway i pulled the generator out on the drive and opened the fuel valve and hit the starter...it fired up like it had been running an hour befor...(the Battery was bought with the generator in 2003)...Point Being..The generator has sat for over a year with Calif 87 octane unleaded gas in the tank -But I added STA-BIL to the fuel when I filled it, that stuff works !
Thank God, I thought your point was going to be that the ethanol in the gas rotted the terminal of the battery tender off
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #82
Top Contributor

Quote:
Amen TC. We very rarely find non-ethanol gas in these parts for years. I've never had a carb issue, hose issue or any fuel related issue because of ethanol.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #83

Neglect...and Demensia...thats what rot's away at thngs I should be concerend about ! (maybe the other way around ?)
But I supose it's from all that leaded paint on the window sil's I was knawing on, as a child...and the lead pipes in the houses I was living in....and the several serious encounters with Carbon Monoxide Poisioning I survived over the years..And the Aluminum Cook Ware I have eaten from...tho I cant remember why -that- is a factor ?..
...But it was all part of the great adventure's...that I continue to seek.

Oh Yea...I think I'll add some Sea Foam to the Generators fuel.

Last edited by Silent Sam; 05-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #84

I have rebuilt the carb on my buddy's Honda ATC four times now due to ethanol eating out the rubber seals in the carb. He is now trying to find a marina in his area where he can get good gas for his two machines. Seen first hand the damage it causes and yes I do remember leaded gas and the trouble we had when that started going away and all the marine engines that needed it. My 69 Plymouth ran better and I had less fuel system trouble when I could get leaded gas for it. Had to put fuel treatments in it after the lead went away. Our gas today is overpriced crap.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Neglect...and Demensia...thats what rot's away at thngs I should be concerend about ! (maybe the other way around ?)
But I supose it's from all that leaded paint on the window sil's I was knawing on, as a child...and the lead pipes in the houses I was living in....and the several serious encounters with Carbon Monoxide Poisioning I survived over the years..And the Aluminum Cook Ware I have eaten from...tho I cant remember why -that- is a factor ?..
...But it was all part of the great adventure's...that I continue to seek.

Oh Yea...I think I'll add some Sea Foam to the Generators fuel.
I reckon all that stuff makes all that model airplane glue not worth mentioning.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #86

I Do LOVE Building model's...can sit up all nite sometimes just..glueing..glueing..glueing

A Note of interest to the yonger generation that might want to build up a 'classic car"..or engine mfg befor 1978.

Unleaded gasoline requires "hardened valve seat's"...befor unleaded was in use the mfg'ers did not need to harden the seats (a process done thru electonic heating/hardening)..SO if you put big bucks into a classic engine.and then run unleaded gas..it will burn out the seats pretty soon...and reqiure expensive rebuilding

Classic valve seats can be "hardened" ..thru machining-in, a hardened seat..or hi tech "flame hardening"

really Really BIG Car Show here this week end...took these this evening.

Who is old enough to ID the Maroon car on the Right ? (Very Rare Model)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 05-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #87

Looks like a 54 Meteor. My Dad had one. They didn't use the meteor name in the US back then only Canada. I guess the equivalent down there was a base model merc or a bit dressed up ford.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #88

The Maroon Ford in the photo is a 1954 Ford "Business Coupe/Custom Coupe"
Very few were mfg'ed, and 54 was the last year for Ford's "Coupes"...
ID by the extra long trunk ..from the base of the rear window--> Back (due to a very small back seat -or no back seat at all !)
As I recall the Business Coupe came with no back seat, as that area was left open for the traveling salemans sample cases...The "Custom Coupe" had a very small back seat (for kids)
Additional ID can be made by referring to the rear side windows..they are "shorter" than the the standard Two Door Sedan's rear side windows..

Last edited by Silent Sam; 05-10-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #89

Thanks for sharing Sam. I need to get out to more car shows. Pics are nice but nothing beats the real thing.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #90

Quote:
Thank God, I thought your point was going to be that the ethanol in the gas rotted the terminal of the battery tender off
Sometimes when he post I think I can hear the ocean.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad