Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #76
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
BD what is the comp ratio on that engine? Comp Ratio is what sets which octane to run so long as the fuel mix is correct.

There is more bang for the buck in regular. The std rule is run the lowest octane that won't ping.

Because octane are for creation of a more regular burn and less detonation you loose power for it in a lower comp ratio engine and will tend to build more hard carbon in places that red hot carbon cut like a knife.

Nads have 9.5 : 1 comp and are only on hi test because the factory mix is too lean and there is not way to adjust the mix due to EPA regs...

Overly lean engine strain to just idle and create more dirt than a good mix in any engine will.
Bill it's 9.4:1. It runs fine on regular so that's what it gets. The book calls for premium. Bike doesn't have a knock sensor. Apparently the mixture isn't so lean as to be in the "death zone" like my Nomad was at only 9:1 CR.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #77
Sr. Contributor

BD you are in the 86 / 87 octane range with that comp, unless there is PING. I have no idea about that set up and if it has any way to adjust mix. The first engine i ever knew that didn't was these Nomads. That has to be a EPA BS. if you know and or if you find out i would like a little clue on what way the mix is adjusted of any.

Used to be in Saab Bwm, Porsche, Volvi etal there were either hard steel ball bearings driven in a 'landed well' which were pure evil to get out, or a plug which wasn't as bad to keep tinker's from playing games.

Then it went to electrical means via duty cycle gizzmos of a variety some like the yellow led light that counts code on the Nomad.

Different thing, but the best example of the basic idea.That yellow wire gets dead shorted to read the code, where on cars with Bosch systems on some models you could set mix thru the ecu and a meter.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Steve I know a lot of newbies really get pissed if their point of view is met with an skepticism. Our site is still much "softer" than the HD's and the Vic's site. I posted a question about quality of gas as I run regular in my Vic and it runs just fine and I got an avalance of "I can't believe you spend that kind of money and refuse to run premium!!!" Not a real "informative" response as later about a dozen members did come back with they run regular too. VBA has not got to that point........... yet.
Sounds to me Brad you need to show them your PC correct and always caring self side.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 06-03-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #79
Sr. Contributor

Norm I've only got so much love to go around buddy!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #80
Sr. Contributor

Bill, Victory loads 2 maps. One for startup to operating temperature and a 2nd map for EPA certification when top operating temps are reached. The 2nd map takes it's readings from the narrow band 02 sensors and leans it out on part throttle to 15.4 to 1. Unplugging the 02 sensors (doesn't throw a code unless you only unplug one) defaults to the first richer map that gets no leaner than 14.2 to 1. I did what every red-blooded EPA loving American would do and I unplugged both sensors! There was a somewhat noticable reduction in engine heat and while riding double last weekend in the hills and highway where I ride at an honest 75mph I got 44MPG's. Simple 1 minute fix. This makes it an open loop but it runs fantastic this way so it's staying unplugged.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #81
Top Contributor

Quote:
Bill, Victory loads 2 maps. One for startup to operating temperature and a 2nd map for EPA certification when top operating temps are reached. The 2nd map takes it's readings from the narrow band 02 sensors and leans it out on part throttle to 15.4 to 1. Unplugging the 02 sensors (doesn't throw a code unless you only unplug one) defaults to the first richer map that gets no leaner than 14.2 to 1. I did what every red-blooded EPA loving American would do and I unplugged both sensors! There was a somewhat noticable reduction in engine heat and while riding double last weekend in the hills and highway where I ride at an honest 75mph I got 44MPG's. Simple 1 minute fix. This makes it an open loop but it runs fantastic this way so it's staying unplugged.
Oh My Gosh! Brad, I can't believe you did this! Don't you know that is against the RULES?????? ... and ILLEGAL as well ?????

Keep your eyes open and watch over your shoulder as well...the EPA cops are going to be tracking you down and they will throw your derriere into JAIL...the mean ones with no irons!!!!!

I hope you have Trip's phone number so he can post bail for you!!!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #82
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I hope you have Trip's phone number so he can post bail for you!!!

His phone won't bluetooth from his Gold Wing to his helmet like mine does!

Member # 0005

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #83

Quote:
His phone won't bluetooth from his Gold Wing to his helmet like mine does!
Hmm, Gold Wing, Trip? This explains recent changes here.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #84

Quote:
You need to ask yourself if you really want to go there..........

Does your 'wide' know SHE is wide? Does she really?

You sure you wanna go there? I am NOT in a very good mood bro... Just say the word and you can go into pandora's box too!
Man, you are in bad mood. Hope everything is going well. I have not visited this forum much lately but you used to be fun to chat with.
I don't want to go anywhere. Just wanted to comment that I was the first bike owner. Take any way you want. I'm just having a friendly conversation.
And FYI - my "wide" is "narrow" at 120 LBS but let's not go there.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
Your "wide" is gonna be pissed when she sees what your pet name is for her.
Damn smartphone with it's stupid auto-correction feature.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #86
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Man, you are in bad mood. Hope everything is going well. I have not visited this forum much lately but you used to be fun to chat with.
I don't want to go anywhere. Just wanted to comment that I was the first bike owner. Take any way you want. I'm just having a friendly conversation.
And FYI - my "wide" is "narrow" at 120 LBS but let's not go there.
Well that got you out of the box, but i am still in a bad mood. The other 2 are still in the box and I have my doubts they will get out... Don't need the BS.

i don't recall you.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #87
Sr. Contributor

Mac whats the weather for bike week?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #88
Sr. Contributor

Chance of rain, partly cloudy, chance of rain partly cloudy....... etc usually it just rains, so this is better than normal......

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #89
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Chance of rain, partly cloudy, chance of rain partly cloudy....... etc usually it just rains, so this is better than normal......
The usual, wear the rainsuit, that way the rain and the spilled beer won't get me wet.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #90
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Damn smartphone with it's stupid auto-correction feature.

Those stupid "smartphones" get more people in trouble it seems....I refuse to get one of those things.

"wife" not "wide" I presume?

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009