Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #61
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Cadd, BD, reading pg 3 I think you both have a good argument, and I can see both sides....

A lean mix takes longer to get get buring because there isn't enough fuel and there is too much air.

Once you get that lean mix buring it explodes.

It has been a while since I used my Brit Std wrenches in snap on. In the day one trick to assist cooling problems when the rad was probabvlt older and partly clogged was to stuff the ring of a Tstat, gutted into place. Not no T stat, and not open..

No idea if that will help a Nomad. In S. Dakota at 108 that fan about fried my legs in traffic.
Now on to pg 4..
on edit.

I got an easy 2 feet of snow in the field, and I made snow dams in the road in to run off water. The road into here was fixed up a lot last year, and I'ld like it to stay that way. There is one deep wash out, but hey there is going to be wash outs.

I hope no one 'lost' comes in and wrecks my work to slow the water, if they do they get a choice to pay to fix it, fix it, or loose their hairs..

I still can't really drop the trailer door, to get the bike out, but if I wuz a city boy here in NH with a paved drive 30 feet long it could have been a riding day.

I haven't been out in a time and the last time i was there was chrystal white in the road called SALT. My bikes don't see any salt except in high places in late fall by accident.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Thoughts on pinging

92 today and your dealing with that?? UNBELIEVABLE!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #63
Top Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

where did you buy this non-toxic anti-freeze BD??

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #64
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Doc, I got it at WallyWorld too. white container, Prestone Low Tox Antifreeze. Got pictures of dogs and cats on the label. About 10 bucks not diluted. Didn't have to remove my tank either. I'm so lazy I find ways around work all the time! LOL

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #65
Top Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Kool, thx for the come back info, BD
BTW did you do a complete coolant system flush with vinegar?? or just drain and add new stuff??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #66
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Since it all came out real clean with no white residue I just poured a little water through to flush it when I was done and then buttoned it all back up and filled with the mixture.

Member # 0005

Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #67

Thoughts on pinging

That's not that orange crap, like Dexcool, is it? I don't like that Dexcool. I've been using Honda ProCool, which seems to work nice, but the first change I just used SuperTech from Walmart. I think it's just as good as what Kawasaki puts in there, but I like the ProCool better.

OTOH, it costs about 5 times as much.

More than cooling performance, I worry about that inner waterpump seal. Man loosing that one would really ruin my day.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #68
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

I used the prestone green 5 year/150K mile stuff on my 800. I will probably use the same on this bike when the time comes. My VW uses Pentosin, which is pink. It's lifetime antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
That's not that orange crap, like Dexcool, is it? I don't like that Dexcool. I've been using Honda ProCool, which seems to work nice, but the first change I just used SuperTech from Walmart. I think it's just as good as what Kawasaki puts in there, but I like the ProCool better.

OTOH, it costs about 5 times as much.

More than cooling performance, I worry about that inner waterpump seal. Man loosing that one would really ruin my day.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #69
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

It's green too and has the highest rating for wear protection required by all new vehicles.

Member # 0005

Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #70
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

These all no silica's? My 06 is due I bet.. I need -40 below 0 protection too!

The bike lives in an enclosed trailer here in NH, or might live in a barn... I bring in the vinals and the battery to charge..

Ins is a bad deal if there is gasoline in a house with a wood stove.. Don't ask me why...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #71

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
These all no silica's?
That's a good question. I couldn't find that mentioned on any of the "aluminum safe" antifreezes I looked at. Now the Honda ProCool is silicate free and says so.

I just looked at the bottle and it is actually called Pro Honda HP Coolant and is $5 a quart for 50/50 premix. Two quarts of that and a few ounces of distilled water is enough to do the Nomad 1500. I don't know what a 1600 holds.

One minor gripe: All Jap bikes specify the capacity in liters, but Honda coolant still comes in quarts. WTF is wrong with this picture?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #72
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

I bought the Honda brand, as it seemed my 06 needed a small top off once from the flow back tank. I had a loose rad hose ......naturally.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #73

Thoughts on pinging

Oh, yeah. since I didn't mention it, the silica evidently shows up in the form of the corrosion inhibitors in many antifreezes. It's not a matter of silica-types not cooling or being more corrosive, but of them wearing out the water pump seals. The non-silica types evidently wear them less.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #74
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Silica is the corrosion inhibitors? No wonder things with that stuff stay clean. And no wonder it eats rubber seals too! That would be like a water born abrasive! basicly water beading all the internals in a cooling system! OUCH!~

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #75

Thoughts on pinging

Remember that just about anything ground fine enough will act as a lubricant as the molecules roll. I don't know what form the silicates take in anti-freeze but it might be like sodium-silicate or aluminum-silicate. Some form of compound of silica with a soft metal. That'd be my guess.

I'll bet Data Dan would know.