Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #61

I don't think i ever saw if you posted what kind of mufflers those are. And if you wouldn't mind, a pic or quick description of how to make them fit? Also, a sound bite would be awesome...I'm in a serious exhaust quandary right now...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #62

Vaquero tail end mods

I have a video or two on YouTube, just search Yoshimura on a Vaquero, I'm sure that will turn it up, and as far as I know it's just me.

I had some flanges Waterjet-ed to mate to the mufflers, and a custom exhaust guy weld them to new and custom mid-pipes to mate to the existing headers.
Well placed angle iron riveted to the carbon for mounting, and a little tinkering with heat shields at home have it looking nice now too.

Yoshi mufflers for a Hyabusa
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 11-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #63

Turn Signals flasher

Can anyone tell me #1 Where is the turn signal flasher on the Vaquero? #2 Will a non load dependent flasher bought at an auto part store be a good alternative to the over priced load equalizers found online. Removing stock turn signals and replacing with LEDs

Thanks

Last edited by c3po; 11-06-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #64

Flasher

Well, I found the flasher. Just received a pair of Custom Dynamics Dual Color Plasma Rods (the 8" size), wired them in prior to permanent install on bike. Really like the way they look! Nice even glow on running, good brake additional light, as well as turn signals. Think I'll keep the stock signals on as well. I like the way they look and I figure its extra lighting on the tail end. More visibility is always a good thing! Will post pics when installed.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #65

Plasma Rods

Here is a pic of the Plasma Rods on my Vak. This is the only picture I thought was worth posting. The running lights mode. The brake light is obviously brighter. I could not get a decent enough picture of the turn signal mode. But they are absolutely bright and noticeable! Very pleased with the result thus far....btw The green glow comes from a set of two, 12" led's mounted on either side of the tank. Purchased at Autozone for $35. Holding up so far... ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141108_183238.jpg (92.9 KB, 95 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by c3po; 11-11-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #66

Send a message via MSN to nomadz
Very nice, I want to do this exact setup on my Voyager

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
Here is a pic of the Plasma Rods on my Vak. This is the only picture I thought was worth posting. The running lights mode. The brake light is obviously brighter. I could not get a decent enough picture of the turn signal mode. But they are absolutely bright and noticeable! Very pleased with the result thus far.

How did you mount the plasma rods? If you have any pictures of the way you installed, could you post them?

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #68

Plasma Rod Install

Hey Capt. here are some pics I took during install. When wiring, disregard what the instructions say about the colors, because on my Vaquero for example, the BLUE=BRAKE (the instructions say its 'usually' red) The RED=RUNNING (the instructions say its 'usually' blue) and the yellow for the respective turn signals. The quick connectors are pretty handy, but I found that in spite of their small size, left a bit to be desired with reagrds to a cleaner stowing of the wiring bundle. The 'rods' are thin, and ridgid. You cannot, or should not even attempt to bend in any axis. Would have been great if they were available in some sort of bow, to follow the curvature of the bags. They juuuuuuust fit between the saddle bags and the plastic filler that occupies the space between the bags and fender. The light kit (and btw, these are the 8" model) comes with a white tube of 'activator' that has a sort of dabber on one end. I placed the rods where I wanted to install them, and made a visual reference as to where exactly I was installing. I installed them with the end that has the wires coming out of them UP (closest to the seat) This I figured would give me a cleaner look without any wiring possibly showing. You squeeze the white tube of activator, and this breaks the glass inside the tube and the liquid activator moistens the dabber. I wiped the install surface with the now, 1001 uses WD-40, and wiped it clean with a clean rag. You apply the activator over the entire mounting area. You let that activator sit there for about five minutes (and I used a timer (didn't want to chance anything, and was going as per instructions!) When ready to attach the rods, peel a small section of the red tape back, enough so you have a small tab, because this is what you're going to pull off as the rod sits where you're going to put it. And there is a video that shows how to do this. After I attached them, they were on there!! I was pretty impressed how well they adhered...hell stuck! Besides, once you get the bags on, they will hold them in place as well. When re attaching the bags, and you insert the retaining 10mm bolts, I had to put some pressure/push the bolts as I was tightening them so they would 'catch'. It was a tight fit. But after you get the bags on, things seem to settle in place. Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any more questions. Thus far I'm very pleased with the results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141107_132203.jpg (33.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20141107_132408.jpg (37.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20141107_132351.jpg (26.7 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by c3po; 11-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #69

Front End mod

Anyone out there thought about, or actually replaced the headlight bulb with LED? I'm all into the brighter light, cooler operating temp. and at about half the draw on current. Been looking at several options, but unsure which to go with. I see some H4 bulbs that have a huge heat sink on them, and have seen them as much as $150. Not to mention that the heat sink would become an issue when trying to fit all of that into the fairing. Others do not have the heat sink, and these range in price from as little as $10 (and who would really go for that? ((get what you pay for)) to as much as $45. Also looking into the H8 led bulbs for the auxiliary light. Here space is absolutely more limited if not outright impossible to fit a bulb with a heat sink. Anyone care to weigh in on these differences in the various led options? Would really like to know.

Last edited by c3po; 11-11-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #70

c3po, I too have the dual color plasma rods and I am not impressed, not as bright as I was expecting, especially during the day, a lot of complaints from riders behind me not being able to see my turn signals. (I removed the stock ones) they are nice looking just not bright enough for me.

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #71

c3po thanks for the pictures. Now I see how to install them. The back of the vaquero definitely needs more and brighter lights. I will most likely leave the stock directionals in place for added visibility. By the way great color choice on your bike!

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #72
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
Anyone out there thought about, or actually replaced the headlight bulb with LED? I'm all into the brighter light, cooler operating temp. and at about half the draw on current. Been looking at several options, but unsure which to go with. I see some H4 bulbs that have a huge heat sink on them, and have seen them as much as $150. Not to mention that the heat sink would become an issue when trying to fit all of that into the fairing. Others do not have the heat sink, and these range in price from as little as $10 (and who would really go for that? ((get what you pay for)) to as much as $45. Also looking into the H8 led bulbs for the auxiliary light. Here space is absolutely more limited if not outright impossible to fit a bulb with a heat sink. Anyone care to weigh in on these differences in the various led options? Would really like to know.
I replaced the headlight and driving lights with LEDs - They are Kury Phase 6's that I bought from Smokey when he upgraded to phase 7's. They look and work GREAT! They aren't direct fit replacements - From what I can tell, Smokey removed the stock lamps from their shells and, after cutting holes in the backs of the shells to pass the wiring through, adhered the Kury lamps to them . . .when I got them they were plug and play replacements . . . The headlight looks dim in this pic, but it is on low beam - trust me at night it really lights up the road . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield2.jpg (40.5 KB, 40 views)

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #73
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
I have a video or two on YouTube, just search Yoshimura on a Vaquero, I'm sure that will turn it up, and as far as I know it's just me.

I had some flanges Waterjet-ed to mate to the mufflers, and a custom exhaust guy weld them to new and custom mid-pipes to mate to the existing headers.
Well placed angle iron riveted to the carbon for mounting, and a little tinkering with heat shields at home have it looking nice now too.

Yoshi mufflers for a Hyabusa
hey Jay what kind and brand of headlight do you have looks real cool?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #74

KQR Flag poles

After an extensive search of flag poles for the Vaquero, and finding none that appealed to me....I made my own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141109_155405.jpg (30.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20141113_172738.jpg (36.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20141113_172822.jpg (42.7 KB, 52 views)

Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
hey Jay what kind and brand of headlight do you have looks real cool?

It's the HD Daymaker LED headlight
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver