Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #61

Update: I've been getting tired of this PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) . . . F#☆✖✠∞n finally the parts are all in and Grace is on the lift at the local dealer. I should have her back tomorrow.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #62

Congratulations on the good news.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #63

Thumbs Up

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #64

Congrats. I was following this and it's good to see you can have your ride back without a really punishing bill.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #65
Top Contributor

This is "tomorrow", Mark. You get Grace back yet? Hopefully, you're not posting cuz you're out riding. Two thumbs up!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Congrats. I was following this and it's good to see you can have your ride back without a really punishing bill.
The bill is truly punishing . . . even took my beer money. (and I'm Irish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
This is "tomorrow", Mark. You get Grace back yet? Hopefully, you're not posting cuz you're out riding. Two thumbs up!
They "hope" to have her finished by closing? ? ?

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #67
Sr. Contributor

For Utah.

When a bevel gear bearing decideds to go it just does. Good oil and not too beat up can help, since the bearing is living in engine oil.

The first sign will be a mushy clutch lever. This is because the bad bearing is letting the gear get too hot.

The gear and bad bearing heat the engine case and the brake fluid in the clutch slave boils. As the fluid boiled it gasses out and the gasses are trapped in the slave body and in the line. The bubbles create a sort of foaming in the hydralics line and slave body, and that's the end of a working clutch system, untill it cools. The Clutch Spring is fine still being far from the heat, on the other side of the engine.

The fluid is ok too, just needing to cool off.

By the time the bevel gear is howeling the oil seal in the engine case is melting and will start leaking oil. If the oil gets hot enough it can flash fire and burn down the bike completely.

Engine mods and car tires have nothing to do with this, as many Vulcans and Nomads have suffered a bad bevel bearing before and had no mods or car tires.

This is simply one of the items to check when doing a swing arm lube service. You simply grab the spline from the bevel gear where the pin is that locks up on the drive shaft, and see if the bearing on the spline is any good or not about the same as most any other bearing. You also shift the tranny into neutral and spin the spline feeling if it is free or if it feels gritty.

It's a real tuff call on what bike, and when and etc to predict a failed bearing.

The problem here was the bearing spun in the case, which has to be a part of the fix and has to have a cost in terms of machine work, and that of taking the engine out of the frame.

This bearing is under the strain of getting the bike to be moving. So if you ride like granny wants there is less stress, and if you ride like the little punk kid at the end of the street, that bearing take more stress, and one will fail before the other.

I was near this place, as I got to see the Grand Canyon myself once, and I doubt I would have done much different out in those boonies.

I might have stopped and let things cool, but then my wife ride 2 up with me, and um err maybe I wouldn't be as interested in getting 200 miles down the road, and a cooling period might not be a bad idea so long as I go beat the bushes looking for snakes!

The point being if you loose clutch pressure, stop and let it cool, and be heading to a repair shop ASAP. Also ck the oil level instantly.

I run full syn oil in 10w-40 cut with 10w-30 for 1/2 qt and live in NH. I change that oil each 3,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I hope my bevel bearing never fails, but it gets checked when the swing arm is off.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
For Utah.

When a bevel gear bearing decideds to go it just does. Good oil and not too beat up can help, since the bearing is living in engine oil.

The first sign will be a mushy clutch lever. This is because the bad bearing is letting the gear get too hot.

The gear and bad bearing heat the engine case and the brake fluid in the clutch slave boils. As the fluid boiled it gasses out and the gasses are trapped in the slave body and in the line. The bubbles create a sort of foaming in the hydralics line and slave body, and that's the end of a working clutch system, untill it cools. The Clutch Spring is fine still being far from the heat, on the other side of the engine.

The fluid is ok too, just needing to cool off.

By the time the bevel gear is howeling the oil seal in the engine case is melting and will start leaking oil. If the oil gets hot enough it can flash fire and burn down the bike completely.

Engine mods and car tires have nothing to do with this, as many Vulcans and Nomads have suffered a bad bevel bearing before and had no mods or car tires.

This is simply one of the items to check when doing a swing arm lube service. You simply grab the spline from the bevel gear where the pin is that locks up on the drive shaft, and see if the bearing on the spline is any good or not about the same as most any other bearing. You also shift the tranny into neutral and spin the spline feeling if it is free or if it feels gritty.

It's a real tuff call on what bike, and when and etc to predict a failed bearing.

The problem here was the bearing spun in the case, which has to be a part of the fix and has to have a cost in terms of machine work, and that of taking the engine out of the frame.

This bearing is under the strain of getting the bike to be moving. So if you ride like granny wants there is less stress, and if you ride like the little punk kid at the end of the street, that bearing take more stress, and one will fail before the other.

I was near this place, as I got to see the Grand Canyon myself once, and I doubt I would have done much different out in those boonies.

I might have stopped and let things cool, but then my wife ride 2 up with me, and um err maybe I wouldn't be as interested in getting 200 miles down the road, and a cooling period might not be a bad idea so long as I go beat the bushes looking for snakes!

The point being if you loose clutch pressure, stop and let it cool, and be heading to a repair shop ASAP. Also ck the oil level instantly.

I run full syn oil in 10w-40 cut with 10w-30 for 1/2 qt and live in NH. I change that oil each 3,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I hope my bevel bearing never fails, but it gets checked when the swing arm is off.
Thanks Mac, I've used full synthetic at regular intervals since the first service. I bought Grace new and she's never missed or been late for a service. When the clutch went out, it was soft on one pull and totally gone on the next. I checked all 3 "brake" fluids (front brake, rear brake, clutch) at Kanab along with engine oil (clean, clear, proper level) and coolant when I stopped for fuel. The spot I got to in North Flagstaff was IMHO the first safe place to stop.

I haven't got the total bill with taxes and all yet, but we had to raid the savings bonds to pull it off and they are not "matured" for another 6 years. I'm sure aching for that next ride.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #69
Sr. Contributor

Mark That is what I would expect. The fluid boiled in the slave cly, and when you used it you moved foam back up the line. A hydralic system can't work with any foam from gassing out or air. The system needs to be fully liquid, a solid.

The difference between gassing out and real air is the gasses will re-condence upon cooling. Air will given enough time work up into the master all by itself, but the time factor isn't human really, and the lever/ linkage must be moved for air to pass thru certain orfices.

And or in other words I can bleed brakes even if all the bleeders are missing havin' been rusted away, but it is a techy trick.

A bevel gear is just a risk we all take. There is no way to guess who's will go bad or when.

My wife is hangin over my shoulder and sayin all I wrote in a 'Dusky Voice'! She says this is how you guys should hear it too!

I think I have to go attend to some business............

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #70

Just picked up Grace . . . Grand total including tax = $2757.49

It's 104° here now and Grace and I need to get reacquainted, so I'm going to go find some wind.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Just picked up Grace . . . Grand total including tax = $2757.49

It's 104° here now and Grace and I need to get reacquainted, so I'm going to go find some wind.
Very glad you got Grace back and are ready to roll.

Picked up this thread very late as I was road tripping' myself. Despite all the trouble, you saw some great country. Were you describing/riding on the road where Navajo Bridge is?

Anyways, easy on Grace for a little while.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #72

Does the bike ride any differently? Everything feel good?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #73

$2700.Ouch.

Glad you got her back on the road.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #74
Sr. Contributor

Congrats for being back on the road!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #75

Good to hear that your back on the road Mark!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951