Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Just wondering with all this seat talk. Has anyone gone with the Kaw Gel touring seat for the Vaq? They say the passenger section is wider and thicker.
I put one on mine and really liked it, liked the imitation python pattern on sides too, even purchased a voyager backrest and modified to fit, really liked the pocket in the backrest, then I was offered a corbin for cheap with the gator hide look so I replaced it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #62

vaquero seat

Quote:
Just wondering with all this seat talk. Has anyone gone with the Kaw Gel touring seat for the Vaq? They say the passenger section is wider and thicker.
got one for mine, great improvement especially for the passenger, even liked the imitation python pattern on the sides, also purchased a voyager backrest and modified it to fit, really worked well. but as you probably know some of us are never satisfied and I had an opportunity to buy a new corbin for cheap and I went with that as I have always had them on my previous bikes. in short the Kawasaki touring gel seat was great, I look at it sometimes(still have it) and ask myself why????? I would also recommend the corbin seat.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #63
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTBROKEIN View Post
got one for mine, great improvement especially for the passenger, even liked the imitation python pattern on the sides, also purchased a voyager backrest and modified it to fit, really worked well. but as you probably know some of us are never satisfied and I had an opportunity to buy a new corbin for cheap and I went with that as I have always had them on my previous bikes. in short the Kawasaki touring gel seat was great, I look at it sometimes(still have it) and ask myself why????? I would also recommend the corbin seat.
Did your passenger like the Kaw? Corbin is def out, due to price. I'm between the Mustang one piece ($420) or the Kaw replacement gel touring seat ($232). I'm torn, I don't want to buy the Kaw seat only to have to eventually get the Mustang. That's why, I need to know what your passengers think about the upgrade from stock, to the Kaw gel touring seat.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #64

On my previous bike I had a gel and a Mustang. I didn't like the Mustang at all and ended up removing it after 1 week. It was the positioning of the Mustang that I didn't like. It sat me back in a pocket to a point that I couldn't flat foot the bike unless I got my butt out of the seat. The gel was great in the cooler weather. It hardens up a little more in the cool weather and I could do all day riding on it. It sucked in the hot weather. Just couldn't get comfortable and a 3 hour ride would kill me. The stock seat on my 2010 Nomad is perfect. I can sit on this seat all day without any aches or pains.

Every person will have a different experience with whatever seat they use. You may love a Mustang over the gel. Mustang is located in CT in the Terryville area. You should just ride down and talk to them.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #65
Advanced Member

I have the Mustang on my Nomad, couldn't stand the stocker. Been by there place several times. Unfortunately, the Terryville location is like their HQ, the factory is in MA.
Peace Makers LEMC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #66

When did they move it to MA? I watched a program last year that showed the program host going in to the Terryville location and having a custom seat made for himself.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #67
Advanced Member

I think at least a year ago. One of our local journalists did a charity ride up to the factory for a tour.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #68

Just looked it up. They're now in Three Rivers, MA 01080. It's a little north east of Springfield.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #69
Advanced Member

I'm sure the wife would love the Mustang, it doesn't look that bad. I was hoping to get away with the Kaw Gel Touring, if the passenger portion is big enough (read bigger than the stock landing strip)
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #70
Advanced Member

Check the passenger section.

Quote:
I'm sure the wife would love the Mustang, it doesn't look that bad. I was hoping to get away with the Kaw Gel Touring, if the passenger portion is big enough (read bigger than the stock landing strip)
On my 2011 Vaquero, the rear mounting bracket for the seat has 2 bolt that project up into the foam of the seat in the passenger location. You can push down in this area with your fingers and feel them. My wife was almost in tears when we arrived home from our first 4 hr ride. Very poor design IMO. The bolts attach the mounting bracket to the seat pan. Check the new seat to see if Kawasaki has improved the design of the seat you are thinking about or you might not have a happy rider.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #71
Advanced Member

Hmm, any thoughts on this from guys with the gel touring vaq seat?
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #72
Top Contributor

I have the Mustang on my Vaquero, great seat indeed, very comfortable for me and my wife

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #73

I have the mustang on my nomad I even sent it off to mean city cycles to have memory foam installed in it.
It's a great looking seat and works great for up to about 600 miles after that I just want OFF!!
I am looking for a seat that I can literally ride all day and never even think about it.
I'm sure the Russell will do that but I want to talk to corbin before I make a decision. I really like the looks of the corbin i'm just not sure if it will give me the ride i'm looking for.
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #74

I had a Corbin on my wing years ago. At the time it was the best seat money could buy. It was like sitting on your sofa going up the street. I'm not sure how they are now. I had read quite a few complaints about them not being as good as they use to be.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #75

I think there is a place in CT that does custom work on bike seats. I'll try to dig up the name.

2010 Nomad 1700