Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkjr View Post
I have a stand just like macmac.
How exactly do you go about securing it to prevent any tipovers? I would imagine if you work working on the bike and gave something a good wrenching, that it could flop rght over.
You run a tie down strap from the loop on the jack over the seat and to the other loop on the jack and tighten it down.

I remove the seat and put a piece of plywood over where the seat was then tighten it down good.

I also use the Idaho adapter.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Idaho's Jack Adapter. Search this site and you'll find it. Bud Smalley (aka Idaho here on VBA) makes them. They pin to the 2 tabs under the bike. Bike is pretty solid just like that but most jacks have places you can strap the bike to. No regular jack will be 100% solid. (The bike may not come off the jack, but most jacks don't have a big enough footprint to keep it very steady.) If you need the bike in the air and have to do some serious wrenching, spend the money and buy a table lift and strap the bike to that.
Thanks for the tip my way Chris. Here is a link. When you order be sure to tell me you are a VBA member and you will get a discount.

http://www.idahojackadapters.com/
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #48

Hey Idaho, does your stand come with the pins to mount to the bike or are those separate? The reason I'm asking... I bought one of your stands from a member here that never used it (upgraded to a 1700 and didn't need it anymore). I got the stand, but there are no pins with it. Can I buy a couple from you? Or, can you tell me what size I need or what to look for and I can go to a local hardware store and get them?

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
Hey Idaho, does your stand come with the pins to mount to the bike or are those separate? The reason I'm asking... I bought one of your stands from a member here that never used it (upgraded to a 1700 and didn't need it anymore). I got the stand, but there are no pins with it. Can I buy a couple from you? Or, can you tell me what size I need or what to look for and I can go to a local hardware store and get them?
Matt, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will mail a set of pins to you. No charge.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #50
Advanced Member

bike stand made from wood blocks

I use two wood blocks made from 4x6s and 2x4s.
They are about 9 inches long and 6.75 inches tall.

I sit on the bike with the front tire pointing straight, and put one under right side frame.
Then lean the bike onto that block and put the other block under the left side frame.
It helps to lean the bike to the left once to make sure the right block is flat on the ground.

You have to be somewhat limber to sit on the bike while leaning forward to put the blocks on the ground.
The blocks hold the bike steady enough for all of the work I've done. Cleaning, waxing, removing the tank, installing Chuckster's kit, installing bar risers, installing V&H baggers, etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood with bike.jpg (49.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg wood blocks.jpg (32.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg on block.jpg (50.4 KB, 21 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by scott2007nomad; 09-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #51

I got my bike vertical, measured distance from frame/right foot rest bracket to floor. Then cut a piece of 4" PVC pipe just a tad shorter. I just tip the bike onto that and check oil.