Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #46
Top Contributor

Yukon/Al-Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax
...oh ya...yup, I'm awake. Is it spring yet!

Actually I'm pretty pumped about getting the riding season going, although it seems like a long way off. But this ride we are looking at will be a great one and I sure hope it works out for us. Its nice to see others interested as well.

We're trying to get things organised for our trip to Tuscon around the first of February. Should be gone about a month and I have decided to not take my bike on the truck. For the amount of time we will have, there are just to many other things to do. Besides, my sons father in law has a nice Harley and I may be forced to lower my standards some and borrow it!! ;)

Mike
Mike,
Good to hear from you! Be careful riding that Harley...you know...? It's said if you don't want a Gold Wing, don't ever test ride one...haha. The same rule might apply! Glad to hear things are coming along at your new place too. Hope you have a great trip to Arizona....and let's keep our fingers crossed for our ride in July! Say hi to Lorna and Milo for us.... ;)!

Cheers....Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #47
Top Contributor

Yukon/Al-Can

Good News! Finally....after 8 months of sitting on the bench....my wife got a job and will be returning to work next Monday! While it pays a bit less than she was making to start, it is with a large company with lots of upward mobility (Premera Blue Cross- a huge health insurance company). In time she could potentially be making much more as they figure out her skill set and get her where she can do them the most good, in the finance department. For now though, she gets three months of paid training and her foot is in the door... :)! This could potentially be a company she could retire from......whew... ::)!!!

This means that this ride should move into the next phase. I will probably start a new post regarding this ride to better reflect the new route and proposed dates. I pretty well have the overnight towns picked out, but we should decide whether we want to reserve our motels in advance or try to wing some of it. Some places will almost certainly demand us to reserve space, such as Jasper, AB. I'm thinking the Best Western there. The more riders we have, the more likely we should reserve rooms ahead of time so that we don't end up needing four rooms and only two are available....just sayin'....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #48
Advanced Member

Yukon/Al-Can

Hey Kris
Excellent news that Trichia has found employment. Congrats to her! :) It not only takes off the financial pressure rather quickly, but also frees you up to plan the upcoming riding season.

I'm looking forward to see what you have planned for this ride regarding route and overnight stops. I think it would be prudent to reserve some of the nights, especially the more high profile touristy spots like Jasper. We might get away with no reserve at some of the other smaller towns along the route. Of course I still cannot commit 100% to this trip but am still hoping it will work for me. I am still willing to split a room if any of the group are thinking along that line. Let us know any details you come up with. :)

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #49

Yukon/Al-Can

Kris,

We drove (not rode) the Alaska Hwy last year and found it to be generally in good condition. That is until we got north of Destruction Bay at the upper end of Kluane Lake. Then it fell apart. Actually, it would have been just fine for a motorcycle, but it was hard on the motorhome. Some stuff we just couldn't miss. The only "dirt" we encountered was about two miles before the Yukon/Alaska borde, and it looked like they were getting ready to repave it. The rest of the road was great for motorcycling. In fact, most of what we saw were cruisers. There were a few Gold Wings and lots of Beemers and VStroms, but there were more cruisers than anything else.

The weather was great the whole way up and back. We left in June and got back home the latter part of July, so we were gone for 6 weeks in all.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the Alcan on a bike. The Cassiar, as I am led to understand is now mostly paved save for a total of about 25 miles, and that is in patches. All reports were that the gravel sections were smooth and fine for motorcycles.

Just as a diversion, should you decide to come back via the regular Alaska Hwy, when you get to Ft. St. John, take the Hudson's Hope cutoff. It shaves off some miles from going all the way to Dawson Ck, and it's downright scenic and the road is entertaining, as well. It winds up in Chetwynd, which is a nice town. Got a great Chinese restaurant, which is the second one on the left as you are heading south out of town.

As for amenities on the road, during the summer there is plenty of fuel available along the route. Must be a gas station every 50 to 100 miles, and plenty of available lodging as well. Carry gear for every conceivable kind of weather along the way, but mostly it should be pleasant. Mosquito dope (100% deet stuff) is the order of the day if youj plan on campilng. Take good rain gear---just in case.

And get a copy of "The Milepost," which is the Alcan bible. It's updated every year. You can usually get it at Costco for less than at a bookstore.