Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #46

One of the nicest nomads I've seen. Very nice job

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmesser View Post
One of the nicest nomads I've seen. Very nice job
I believe it's a Classic. Right?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #48

Yep. '05 Classic with Mutazu HL hardbags and Cobra True Duals. The wheel mod will work on Classic or Nomad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 01-02-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #49

Something that's kind of ironic is that several of the wheel manufactures claim that they don't offer wheels for metrics and that there isn't enough demand to require the r&d. Doesn't look like it would take any effort at all.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #50

They probably do suspect that the demand wouldn't be high enough to justify the R&D and tooling costs. This thread has been running for over 5 months on one of the most popular Vulcan 1600 forums on the net and only two people have shown interest in making the modification. Of course if it was a drop in, bolt on kit that might make a difference.
dshelly is a machinest with a shop. Maybe he should fab up a couple of kits and see if they start selling He would have to machine the wheel hubs down to pull the rotors in instead of milling the lower leg caliper mounts to move the calipers out. That way the buyer wouldn't have to disassemble the forks, it would be a pluggin-play set up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 01-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #51

Jared...PM sent

Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #52
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Of course if it was a drop in, bolt on kit that might make a difference.
That would totally make ALL the difference. I love the look but it's way too scary for the average guy to contemplate uinless he has machine shop access and experience or lots of money. If you could buy a kit with instructions and a list of exactly what wheels would fit it would take the fear away.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
That would totally make ALL the difference. I love the look but it's way too scary for the average guy to contemplate uinless he has machine shop access and experience or lots of money. If you could buy a kit with instructions and a list of exactly what wheels would fit it would take the fear away.
There you go dshelly! id-man is your first potential customer for a drop in front wheel kit!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #54

I have to get set up and do mine first.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #55

Dave, remember..........you can make 4 or 5 in about the same amount of time it would take to make one, counting set-up and tear down time. 'Cause most of the time is spent setting up the job.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #56

OK, I got my HD wheel yesterday. So after removing the rotors and taking a closer look it seem that milling the forks is going to be the best option. Like Bill said, He had .125 taken off the caliper mounting points, so after looking at the wheel, If I was to take that much off each side of the rotor face on the wheel, that would take away from the support where the bearing is pressed in. In other words, the bearing and the face where the rotor attaches are almost parallel with each other. Removing material there would give you less contact where the bearing presses in. You would actually have a pretty thin wall thinckness where half of the outside race presses in. I don't think that would be a very safe thing to do. I suppose a guy could pull the bearings and machine the bearing bore .125 deeper too. But this is a cast wheel and who knows how much material there is inside there either. So looks like the forks are coming off. Oh well, that gives me an excuse to install the progressive springs I have.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Last edited by dshelly; 01-28-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #57

What if you were to enlarge the rotor center hole. Would that leave enough metal for bearing support? If that's not a viable option then shaving the caliper mounts would be the only way to go.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #58

Just took another look at your picture. My gut tells me don't remove metal from around the bearing support so I guess its time to pull the lower legs.
While you have them off you should get them polished, it really brightens up the front end. My local shop charged me $130 to do it. They wanted $275 to chrome them. I was running short on funds for the project so I went with the polishing. I'm very happy with the results.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/bstwheel.jpg

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 01-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #59

REVISION TO WHEEL MOD SPECS. While working on his own wheel mod our machinest member dshelly noticed on the Harley wheel the right wheel bearing is seated slightly deeper than the left. This requires the axle wheel spacer lengths to be changed to 1.205 (left) and 1.295 (right) to center the wheel. My original spacer length of 1.25 for both would place the wheel slightly off center to the right. I have edited the DIY wheel mod post to reflect this.
(Thanks Dave)

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 01-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #60

Just finished my SG wheel install. Came out pretty good I think. Here are a couple pics. Now I only have a couple more mods this winter and I'm ready to ride!!

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Last edited by dshelly; 04-16-2014 at 04:25 PM.