Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Liver, onions and bacon, and steak and kidney pie, two of my favorite meals.
I used to watch my nan (grandma) preparing tripe (cows stomach) for my grandad.
No thank you !!!
My mom made liver that way. Stunk up the house. I'll skip all of it. Mexicans eat tripe for breakfast. It's called menudo. Italians call it trippa.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #47

The infinity are a stainless wire mesh with a rubber mount. I have had mine in for over a year and ridden in plenty of downpours and they still look like new.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Just one question Ray, I noticed on their website it doesn't mention whether or not these are water resistant, thinking mostly about when washing the bike or in the rain. I think these are the same speakers. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10108141.aspx if they are, does that small box stay on, or is it replaces with the power pucks?
Are you referring to the speakers being h2o resistant, i hope they are...i shall see!! Yes, those are the speakers i have. The small box is part of the speaker and has the ports to connect to the speaker wires. The ports are the type where you slide the wire into the port and tighten down a screw. I made extensions that connected to the speaker wires with the standard blade connections, then stripped the other end, soldered the end and inserted the soldered end into the box and tightened the screw down onto the solder.

RACNRAY

Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Are you referring to the speakers being h2o resistant, i hope they are...i shall see!! Yes, those are the speakers i have. The small box is part of the speaker and has the ports to connect to the speaker wires. The ports are the type where you slide the wire into the port and tighten down a screw. I made extensions that connected to the speaker wires with the standard blade connections, then stripped the other end, soldered the end and inserted the soldered end into the box and tightened the screw down onto the solder.

RACNRAY
that is what concerns me the most, waterproof or resistant, quick way to fry speakers and other connections if they aren't. I have found the Polk ones to be the best, I am just wondering if those pucks would make a difference, more interested in the front speakers than the rear. I am assuming those pucks are good with any speakers?
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
that is what concerns me the most, waterproof or resistant, quick way to fry speakers and other connections if they aren't. I have found the Polk ones to be the best, I am just wondering if those pucks would make a difference, more interested in the front speakers than the rear. I am assuming those pucks are good with any speakers?
YES...Cycle Sounds offers the Power Pucks either already intergrated onto their own speakers or seperately to be used with the speakers of your choice. The pucks have 4 different adjustments that can be made. At some time I may pull the pucks out and make some adjustments to see how much more these infinity speakers can handle.

RACRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 11-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #51

Just ordered a set to use on the front speakers, should have them in a week or so, hopefully it wont be too cold and I can put them on and try them. I have the POLK db521s in the back and front.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #52

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere. Are the Infinity speakers drop in to the stock holes and mounts? I'll be following this one close and I'm looking for a lot more sound and quality out of mine. Thanks for the write up so far Ray. Keep the report coming!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere. Are the Infinity speakers drop in to the stock holes and mounts? I'll be following this one close and I'm looking for a lot more sound and quality out of mine. Thanks for the write up so far Ray. Keep the report coming!
I had no problem with the POLK ones which are pretty much the same size etc as the others, in the front anyway.

The rear is a different story as there are some posts in the housing that will have to be removed, the posts are there for the speaker wires to be wrapped around so they are tight, you cannot put any speakers in there with the larger magnet as the magnet will butt up against the posts, easily removed with a dremel and cutting disc, and removal will not hurt the integrity of the housing.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #54

Quote:
The infinity's fit right into the stock mount. The hook-up to the infinities required extensins to be connected to the stock speaker wires. The extensions have the male spade connections on one end, about 1/4" of the insulation must be stripped off the other ends to be inserted into the "box" that is a part of the infinity wire, then set screws are tightened down onto the wire ends.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #55

Thanks gents. Ray, I'll stick to solder connections. Just for future reference when installing taller bars on a Vaquero there are 37 wires to extend! Keep posting up on your findings Ray. I'll be paying close attention and ready to do another mod come Spring. I'm one of those loud obnoxious pipes short windshield guys too.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #56

Quote:
I'm one of those loud obnoxious pipes short windshield guys too.
Great, glad you are here
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #57
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just for future reference when installing taller bars on a Vaquero there are 37 wires to extend!
so you must have put some apes on your bike...got any pics?

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #58

For anyone looking at the pucks, I just did the install and thought i would pass along a couple of tips, first the pucks will only fit the magnets on the stock speakers, the small ones, for aftermarket speakers you will have to just leave the pucks off. I put them at the bottom of the speaker enclosure, lots of room.

For the right side (sitting on the bike) you can connect the power to the cigarette lighter adapter, which is what I did.

For the left side, you will see the two wires that connect to the fog light switch, the red one is the live when the ignition is on, that is the one you want to connect the red power to, the black I connected to the negative for the IPOD and aux connection, it is black so easy to spot.

Both connections will give you power when the ignition is on, both for accessory and ignition. The orange wire I just connected to the black ground as per option 1 in the instructions.

Overall they boost the sound quite nicely without any adjustments, as I am hard of hearing plus I have tinnitus, I may fiddle with the tone to give more treble, but I will do any adjustments after I have tried the speakers out. I only put the pucks on the front for now, and if they work out will probably get a set for the rear later on.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Great, glad you are here
Thanks for the welcome! God forbid someone wants to change their bike around instead of following all the other sheep. Thanks for the info on the pucks and aftermarket speakers.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #60

Took it for a spin today, the difference is quite noticeable, without any adjustment, better treble, and where before I had the volume at 15 it is now at 8. I got it mostly for the tone but they definitely work well. Now I have to see if the pucks will fit in the rear speaker housing it they are not mounted on the speaker, the rear has a lot less room. I may have to figure out some way to extend the wires so I can put the pucks in the trunk.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220