Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #46

Helmet Poll

If I'm riding in a state that doesn't have a helmet law I don't wear one. If the weather is questionable I wear a full. I have a 1/2 I wear If helmet law. I'm going to get a 3/4 helmet that will take a shield For next yrs trip west.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #47

Helmet Poll

I live in a Helmet option state ... I wear a 1/2 helmet 95% of the time,, My 3/4 on Long trip in case of Rain and extra protection, I also have a Full Face,, Hate it BUT wear it once inawhile,, Now I hardly wear that as my Son,,A NEW Rider Claimed it :)....I ride with several who choose not to wear a helmet, Their choice,,,,IMO.To each their own .Rich

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #48
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Helmet Poll

In Texas and in Mexico, helmets are not required.

Don't wear one most of the time, but always carry one along. If the traffic gets heavy and thick, I'll put it on.

On longer trips and the weather is nice, I wear a half helmet. On cold weather days, long or short rides, I wear my full modular helmet. (like the modulars)

Old 11-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #49

Helmet Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rebel
If the traffic gets heavy and thick, I'll put it on.
I'm trying to imagine you sitting in rush hour traffic on the 10 or even I-20 saying "Wait, I'm going to put the helmet on now!" Just kidding Blue!

I always wear a 1/2 face, rain or shine.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to novijoe
Helmet Poll

I wear a beanie cheater helmet most of the time. I have been lucky so far and haven't gotten a ticket from any up-tight cops ;) Only reason I do is because Michigan is not a free state :(" title="" border="0"/>

I do have a DOT approved half helmet and I took it on my trip east. Only reason I took it was the fact I was going through Canada, and I didn't want any hassle at the boarder and go figure, I got hassled anyway ::)

When in any free state I do not wear a lid. I figure when your number comes up it comes up, period

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #51

Helmet Poll

It all comes down to you and I that know. I do not want " be a vegetable"and survive. That isn't what I want. AMEN. If ya haven't met the Lord, he's right ahead of you. Sorry, this I know. Hey, I'm not even religious and know that! We have enough preachers here to vouch for that.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #52

Helmet Poll

When I wear a helmet it's the full-face modular, but after awhile it gets uncomfortable on the sides of my head. Am thinking about getting a half helmet, maybe I would use it more (which would be a Good thing!).
VBA #00671

Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #53

Helmet Poll

First of all, this may sound sick, but have you ever heard the human skull crack against a hard surface? It's ugly, and you will never forget it!

Second, are you aware who is responsible for the DOT approved sticker on a certain helmet? (answer, the helmet manufacturer!)

Third, SNELL approved helmets ALL undergo independent testing for safety, they actually EARN their approval stickers (unlike DOT)

I wouldn't ride without a helmet, I have a beautiful daughter and wife to come home to everyday, and yes, it is always a SNELL approved helmet, currently Shoei Ram Air.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #54
Top Contributor

Helmet Poll

Some good news. In my quest for a 3/4 helmet to go along with my half (which I love)....I actually found one that fits pretty comfortably. As I said in my original post...I was bummed at how uncomfortable all the ones I tried seemed... :(

Well...I stopped at another local shop (Bent Bike) and tried some helmets there just for grins. I found the THH T-380 3/4 helmet felt pretty good. I think I will pick a couple up for the wife and I for those longer trips and cold weather riding! They are very inexpensive (that's an upscale word for cheap)...but I ain't payin' any price for a helmet that don't fit good... ;)!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 11-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #55

Helmet Poll

I wouldn't think of riding without a helmet. If somebody wants to ride without one, that's their own choice. It's not for me force them to wear a helmet. Only problem is that when something happens to them, for which a helmet might have made a difference, then we and their loved ones are the ones who have to mourn.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #56

Helmet Poll

I believe that helmet use is a personal choice. That being said, my wife and I own 1/2 helmets, 3/4 helmets and now full-face modular helmets.

I purchased full-face helmets on a trip where we had a 40 mile an hour side wind and with the 3/4 helmet, my head was getting whipped around. I made a stop at a Harley store and paid an outrageous price for two full face modular helmets with a Harley trademark on the front of them. The full-face helmets stopped the head buffeting from the side issue as we had another bad sidewind issue the next day but from the other direction.

I have found that once I got used to the full-face, I didn't mind them even in warm weather. We sometimes use communications between us and I can actually hear what she is saying when I use the full-face as I don't get the wind noise from the 3/4 helmet so that might not be a selling point. ;)

In any pictures of us, you will notice that we have a Marine bulldog or a US flag covering the Harley logos.