Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #31
Advanced Member

Not exactly sure why I originally went with the Venoms...probably availability in the size or the weight range was greater since I was riding over the suggested limit counting 2 up plus gear. Run pretty quiet and ignore those nasty North Carolina tar snakes. (and probably Tar Heels too for that matter)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Advanced Member

As to mileage...can't compare since I have not run the Cobras. Wife was very sick past 2 years so I put almost 0 miles in. Hope to get out some this year if she is able to ride again.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #33

I put the Avon Cobra radials on last year and as far as I am concerned that is the only tire I will run. I use 40 in the rear and 38 in the front and they stick great and seem to be wearing nicely. I also get the feeling the front end is lighter and more responsive, but that is my opinion.

btw I had ME 880's on prior.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #34

hey Seawolf, did you order the tires thru Recycle in Stony Plain? Just curious, as I'm about to order Cobra's on-line. I'm in Edmonton.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
hey Seawolf, did you order the tires thru Recycle in Stony Plain? Just curious, as I'm about to order Cobra's on-line. I'm in Edmonton.
Check out alberta cycle..I took the front rim in and left without $251 bucks. E+S wanted 273 for the tire and another 75 to balance then tax on top of that....Bdog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #36

Quote:
No idea about availability in Canada, but i bought mine on amazon. Under $175 shipped. Installed it myself and used dynabeads to balance

Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

This afternoon I plan to pull the trigger for a new Cobra in the stock size 150/80R16.

Does anyone know how the light spot is indicated? On Dunlop they use a yellow or a yellow green ink mark that looks like a gun target a yellow dot with a black ring and then a yellow ring that is lined to the valve stem since that is the heavy part of the wheel.

I believe the venom tires is a bias ply.

I will run dyna beads too.

I will use Bike Bandit as i will also buy a drive shaft boot. The tire cost there is 187.39 which seems funny with the 39 cents thing.

My rear is a ct the Dunlop Sp 5000 still. I got to ride Flavors Nomad with this ft tire and the same rear as i have and i recall I really liked the way his bike handled.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 06-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
This afternoon I plan to pull the trigger for a new Cobra in the stock size 150/80R16.

Does anyone know how the light spot is indicated? On Dunlop they use a yellow or a yellow green ink mark that looks like a gun target a yellow dot with a black ring and then a yellow ring that is lined to the valve stem since that is the heavy part of the wheel.

I believe the venom tires is a bias ply.

I will run dyna beads too.

I will use Bike Bandit as i will also buy a drive shaft boot. The tire cost there is 187.39 which seems funny with the 39 cents thing.

My rear is a ct the Dunlop Sp 5000 still. I got to ride Flavors Nomad with this ft tire and the same rear as i have and i recall I really liked the way his bike handled.
I dont believe that avon cobra marks their light spot. I didn't see it when i mounted mine. So, i just mounted it. Used 1oz. counteract beads. It's good. Although, they probably should mark the light spot.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

If you find out any different I wouldn't mind hearing. thxs jeff

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #40

ordered thru canadasmotorcycle.ca the cobra 180/70r16 and 150/80r16, total cost landed at my door is $388 cdn. Going to take the wheels in somewhere to have them mounted, will try Alberta Cycle. 16,400 km on the bridgestone, certainly can't complain...

Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #41

Avon does not mark the light spot. Normally they suggest if it takes more than 2 1/2 - 3 oz of weight to balance then the tire should be rotated and try again. Kinda makes it a shot in the dark if your balancing with Dyna beads.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #42

Quote:
ordered thru canadasmotorcycle.ca the cobra 180/70r16 and 150/80r16, total cost landed at my door is $388 cdn. Going to take the wheels in somewhere to have them mounted, will try Alberta Cycle. 16,400 km on the bridgestone, certainly can't complain...
I can't remember the exact figure but it was $450 give or take ten or fifteen bucks here in Montreal for the 2 Avons, mounting and balencing, tax in. I didn't bother to take the wheels off, just removed the saddle bags and dropped the bike off.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Avon does not mark the light spot. Normally they suggest if it takes more than 2 1/2 - 3 oz of weight to balance then the tire should be rotated and try again. Kinda makes it a shot in the dark if your balancing with Dyna beads.
Ouch... I had the idea these tires were A numba 1 and they ain't markin the light spot?

'IF" it takes 2 plus ounces i don't want them at all... The Dunlop 251 F I have is a good tire and it has no beads and no weights. I set it in 2 jack stands with the axel pinched with clamps and a block of wood and it would not set in the same place ever. Don't get better than that.

Haven't ordered yet, but what kinda weight as we talkin here for Avon Cobra?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Ouch... I had the idea these tires were A numba 1 and they ain't markin the light spot?

'IF" it takes 2 plus ounces i don't want them at all... The Dunlop 251 F I have is a good tire and it has no beads and no weights. I set it in 2 jack stands with the axel pinched with clamps and a block of wood and it would not set in the same place ever. Don't get better than that.

Haven't ordered yet, but what kinda weight as we talkin here for Avon Cobra?
I just used 1oz. of balance beads and its smooth as can be.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #45

Well Bill, doing it your way, you should be able to find the best natural balence, you just may have to mark the heavy spot, break the bead and rotate the tire and try again. I am assuming that when Cobra says to rotate the tire if you need to exceed 2 1/2 oz, to get it to balance, then it will take less than that if you fiddle and get it just right.
I don't know why they don't just mark the light spot.

I just checked, mine has 1 1/4 oz, but who knows how much fuss they made to rotate the tire first.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136