Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Have you noticed any lateral "slop" or sidewall movement in slow speed turns @ 26 lbs? I started my Altimax out at 40 lbs for break-in like I'd read & then started working down at 2 lb increments. I'm at 32 lbs now & the bike feels really nice & solid. Much better than @ 40 lbs! Very happy at 32 but if I can get the same performance @ 26 plus better milage....well, that's a nobrainer! Haven't tried lower yet cuz I was really concerned about sidewall movement?
Each tire and bike is different.

On my 03 1500 26ibs was rock solid, at 24ibs it developed a wobble at speed.

You will have to try it for youself and see how it works for you.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey67 View Post
So those going to the dark side are saying that:

1. The engineers who design tires do not know what they are doing by making MC tires different than CTs.

2. There is a conspiracy to make MC riders pay more for tires than cagers do and that CTs function as good or better than MC tires.

I have no doubt that many have went to the dark side without any complications to report but I have also seen many riding on MC tires so worn that I would not have risked it. Those riders would also report that they have had no problems running their tires almost bald.

For me, I want to stack the deck in my favour by any means possible. Sure I could save some money with a CT but is that amount of money worth my life or a potential injury that would keep me from riding in the future?

I would think that with a free market based on competition if a MC tire manufacturer could produce a MC tire with the same specs as a CT and advertise 30K mileage with better handling they would do it and corner the market. There is a reason this has not happened. A MC tire and a CT are different. Again, not saying a CT will not work but I will say it will not work EXACTLY the same. Yeah, you can most likely get by with it but at what potential cost? To each their own. By all means I am not writing this to ridicule anyone who uses a CT. Like wearing a helmet, that is your choice. I am writing this for those considering it. If you are like me and try to limit risks when at all possible you might not want to put a CT on your bike.

And yes, I always wear a helmet.
I ride Commander 2s and like them. I agree w you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't mc tires made so that if they fail there is less decompression for lack of a better word and there would be less handling difficulties. Riding has it's risks but I try not to add any except I rarely wear a helmet. When I lived in NY I had to and didn't mind but after moving to Florida a lid was so hot and uncomfortable that I doubt I would ride half as often if I had to.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #33

"While some go Dark for $$$ I made the decision based on breaking/acceleration traction. If you really want to be as safe as possible, you should live in a bunker and stop riding motorcycles"
No truer words were ever said, plus....that was dam funny!!!!!!!!!!! :)
VROC #3581
VBA #2153
2006 Nomad "Pearl"
'99 800B

Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by B P View Post
What is the difference between the Hankook Optimo H727 and the Federal Formoza FD-1 both 195/60R16?

Hopefully someone has run both to give me some info, I'm going darkside! Ya!
Still haven't gotten an answer to the question. I have looked at and like the Federal tire over the Hankook right now.
VROC #3581
VBA #2153
2006 Nomad "Pearl"
'99 800B

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
If any thing my wear on the tire is on left side of the tire and I think that is because of the curvture of the road!
Excess wear on the left-side of a tire has been discussed ad-nauseum over the years in multiple magazines, and such... and a conclusion was determined based on observations done in different areas of the world. It remains a debatable subject, and of course there are many variables to each individual's situation -- however here it is...

In the U.S. we ride on the right side of the road. Turns to the left at intersections are a longer distance than a right-turn -- thus it was concluded this is the cause of more wear on the left-side due to the longer distance the tire travels in a left-turn. (Keeping in mind, tires "wear" more in turns than going straight.)

To help support this conclusion; the opposite was found in areas of the world where they ride on the left-side of the road and where their right-turns are longer. They find more wear on their right-side...

Again... debatable, but thought it was interesting none the less...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Still haven't gotten an answer to the question. I have looked at and like the Federal tire over the Hankook right now.
I told you that I would recommend the Formoza and will likely use one again.

I have no experience with the Hankook.

You can confidently run the Formoza, and look forward to many happy miles.

MT
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 03-24-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
While some may have run one or the other of the 2 listed, perhaps none have run both?

When researching replacement tires for my '06 Nomad: First I determined what sizes would fit. Next I looked at tires available in those sizes. Then I looked up tread patterns and traction ratings. The highest traction rating for a tire that fit was 10-dry, 10-wet, 10-snow/ice, 8-off road. I asked/looked around to see if others were using the same tire on a Nomad. Everyone that did was happy with it. Since I was looking for traction more than price, thats the tire I bought. Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60-16.

Since your original question was very specific, its hard to get the answer you desired. The rest of the story is just information we share trying to get as close as possible to your answer.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #38

It's getting time for me to change my Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60-16. It's been on the bike since the start of the 2009 riding season and still has half of the tread left with about 40,000 miles on it. The reason I'm changing the tire is due to a lot of dry rot in the tread and carcase (cracks). I'm very happy with the tire, it handles and rides better than any tire I've ever had on the Nomad, so I was going to replace it with another Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread until I got to researching and found that the tire has been "redesigned". It now has square shoulders and a lower UTQG rating. I love the uni-directional tread pattern (a tread that is designed to only rotate in one direction), but I want round shoulders. I decided on the Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60-16 92V. I have it sitting in my office waiting on the weather to warm up so I can change it. This tire has not only round shoulders, the the whole tread is round. It is as round a a 300mm motorcycle tire. I hope it serves me as well as the GYTT did.

B P..... the only advice I can give is to look for round shoulders, and of the 2 choices you listed, I would go with the Formoza over the Hankook for that one reason, but like I said, I prefer a tire with a uni-direction pattern.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
It's getting time for me to change my Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60-16. It's been on the bike since the start of the 2009 riding season and still has half of the tread left with about 40,000 miles on it. The reason I'm changing the tire is due to a lot of dry rot in the tread and carcase (cracks). I'm very happy with the tire, it handles and rides better than any tire I've ever had on the Nomad, so I was going to replace it with another Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread until I got to researching and found that the tire has been "redesigned". It now has square shoulders and a lower UTQG rating. I love the uni-directional tread pattern (a tread that is designed to only rotate in one direction), but I want round shoulders. I decided on the Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60-16 92V. I have it sitting in my office waiting on the weather to warm up so I can change it. This tire has not only round shoulders, the the whole tread is round. It is as round a a 300mm motorcycle tire. I hope it serves me as well as the GYTT did.

B P..... the only advice I can give is to look for round shoulders, and of the 2 choices you listed, I would go with the Formoza over the Hankook for that one reason, but like I said, I prefer a tire with a uni-direction pattern.
+1 My GYTT has been on since '08. I'll probably have to change it due to age before the tread runs out. So far its at 22K miles, about half the usable tread remaining, even wear, and no cracks.

I'll do new research when the time comes since they changed the tire and I changed climates.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 03-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #40

Hankook and Goodyar tripletred

I am running the Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 on My Goldwing with 35,000 Miles on it presently and it will go for another season it looks like. Also run a Hankook 205/50R17 on my ST1300. Both these tires handle beautiful and I can drag pegs and keep great traction rain or shine.

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #41

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post

What a shame! I like the pattern it left on my carport after riding on wet roads.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #42

If any of you Darksiders happen to be in my neighborhood this summer. I'd love to take a spin and see just how well the CT handles comparred to the MC tires. You never know, I might even consider it someday.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #43

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
If any of you Darksiders happen to be in my neighborhood this summer. I'd love to take a spin and see just how well the CT handles comparred to the MC tires. You never know, I might even consider it someday.
Are you feeling ok Dave? Do we need to send someone over to check up on you? That or someone is messing around on your computer while you are in the shop making parts!!

If ever I am in your area or you are in my area you are more than welcome to take my ride for a spin. Good to see you are opening your mind to try something different. I got a little story here....I used to sell food at our local farmers market for fun.I used to cook the food right there and people could smell it cooking, which was a good selling point. One day this kid comes up and I asked him if he would like a free sample.He asked me what was in it and when I told him one of the things in it was onion the kid said he didnt like onion so he didnt want any. I asked him why he didnt like onions and he said he doesnt know why since he has never tried them! I think I made a friend that day
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #44

Yea, I feelin OK. After reading on here how many guys have CT's on their bikes, I figure that there is a good possibility that they can't all be crazy.

So it's got me curious. By the way, I like Onions too.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Quote:
Yea, I feelin OK. After reading on here how many guys have CT's on their bikes, I figure that there is a good possibility that they can't all be crazy.

So it's got me curious. By the way, I like Onions too.
Hey, I resemble crazy . . .

Just to prove it. (Dave) You have a black '07 Nomad with OEM style tires. I have an '06 Nomad that is Double Dark Side. If you and your Nomad happen to make it to the Phoenix area, I will gladly show you some of the local roads (high speed, low speed, smooth, rough, twisties, sweepers, bumpy dirt backroads) AND we can trade bikes back and forth as many times as you wish.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ