Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #31

Which way do you lean???

BD,
Is that a pink strip on your CT???

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #32

Which way do you lean???

I think it all depends on how you were taught to lean and what types of motorcycles you have ridden. A small street bike vs. sport bike vs. a cruiser all have a little different riding style. For the most part I go with the lean angle of the bike and try to balance the centrifugal force. Not leaning far enough feels like you are being pushed to the outside of the turn. Something I experienced when I test drove a Can-am at AZ bike week. Leaning too far over usually takes a lot of effort to get back in a riding position after the turn. Trying to muscle the Nomad fully loaded is tiring. I do my best to stay centered in the seat and let the bike do the work.

That said, when I got caught on an unmarked corner going way too fast I did not even have the chance to move my body position. All I had time to do was 'look where I wanted to go' and kept telling myself not to look forward. I leaned the bike all the way down the boards without a second thought.

The basic consensus seems to be whatever style used, practice it to become proficient.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan
I guess I mirror the bike.
Never really thought about it, just turned.
Like Mike Hailwood. :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
I rode/supervised motors in Fort Worth for about 20 years. Got lost for 5 yrs in other places such as Detective Sgt, Patrol Lt., IAD etc. Retired now..
You should give seminars on such riding techniques. May be at a Rally?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
That ain't all they got !!!!

You make me think of the movie "The Color Purple".

I'll give you one guess why and give you a hint: Too much bling
Nah, they like Barney.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #36

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
Quote:
I rode/supervised motors in Fort Worth for about 20 years. Got lost for 5 yrs in other places such as Detective Sgt, Patrol Lt., IAD etc. Retired now..
I have been retired for years, and what your proposing Ponch, sounds like work and unfortunately in this world we live in, it would also incur liability. Thanks for the honor, but no thanks.

I will admit to my friends, I make mistakes all the time. I get lazy or want to push it a little too. In training, the emergency was created by the instructor or position of the traffic cones. I was taught some riding skills to use in case of an emergency. (Unfortunately, I sometimes cause the emergency). Our training focused on throttle, clutch, brake control, and rider postion. We judged our training on our accident record and performance at police motorcycle rodeos. We were proud of both.

To me, the most important skills for most riders are not what I mentioned above, but knowing stuff. Like how to control your urge to push your riding limits. Knowing what to look for; i.e. I mentioned the wheels of the other vehicle giving you clues. Also the speed of the other vehicle often signals a turn or confused driver. When you feel uneasy, slow down and cover the brakes. Eye contact with the other driver.

Or how about driving at night? Avoid it, many drivers are impaired. The motorcycle headlight either doesnt light the road at highway speed, or blinds the oncoming drivers. At night it is hard to see a/c condensation at intersections or tire chunks on the freeway.

The list is lengthy and I don't like long posts. It looks like the author thinks he is an expert or knows it all. I can assure you I am not, and I don't!! I am just mentioning some stuff I picked up from someone else and that it was worth something. I hope I have helped someone else with this long post.

For you Ponch, don't try this, but I will say that I have seen cops in training, turn the handlebars all the way to the stop, and slowly and gently ride in a circle three times without remove the bars from the stop. (No touching the ground with their feet druing the three circles) I bet they must have excellent control of the throttle, brakes, clutch, and proper slow speed rider position. I will also say that those cops fall, get hurt, and tear up their bikes learning and practicing their skills. I like my Nomad without all the dents and scratches.

I have had my share of wrecks too. I hope I haven't jinx myself talking about this stuff. ;)

Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch

I have been retired for years, and what your proposing Ponch, sounds like work and unfortunately in this world we live in, it would also incur liability. Thanks for the honor, but no thanks.

I will admit to my friends, I make mistakes all the time. I get lazy or want to push it a little too. In training, the emergency was created by the instructor or position of the traffic cones. I was taught some riding skills to use in case of an emergency. (Unfortunately, I sometimes cause the emergency). Our training focused on throttle, clutch, brake control, and rider postion. We judged our training on our accident record and performance at police motorcycle rodeos. We were proud of both.

To me, the most important skills for most riders are not what I mentioned above, but knowing stuff. Like how to control your urge to push your riding limits. Knowing what to look for; i.e. I mentioned the wheels of the other vehicle giving you clues. Also the speed of the other vehicle often signals a turn or confused driver. When you feel uneasy, slow down and cover the brakes. Eye contact with the other driver.

Or how about driving at night? Avoid it, many drivers are impaired. The motorcycle headlight either doesnt light the road at highway speed, or blinds the oncoming drivers. At night it is hard to see a/c condensation at intersections or tire chunks on the freeway.

The list is lengthy and I don't like long posts. It looks like the author thinks he is an expert or knows it all. I can assure you I am not, and I don't!! I am just mentioning some stuff I picked up from someone else and that it was worth something. I hope I have helped someone else with this long post.

For you Ponch, don't try this, but I will say that I have seen cops in training, turn the handlebars all the way to the stop, and slowly and gently ride in a circle three times without remove the bars from the stop. (No touching the ground with their feet druing the three circles) I bet they must have excellent control of the throttle, brakes, clutch, and proper slow speed rider position. I will also say that those cops fall, get hurt, and tear up their bikes learning and practicing their skills. I like my Nomad without all the dents and scratches.

I have had my share of wrecks too. I hope I haven't jinx myself talking about this stuff. ;)

Well, at least be a resource for those with questions. Some day I'd like to take ride like a pro or some other course like that.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Advanced Member

Which way do you lean???

Or 1 wrong = 0 left :)

Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #39

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanguy
Or 1 wrong = 0 left :)
I thought that was 3 strikes???

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #40

Which way do you lean???

glwilson's photo [ lean angle.jpg ] says it all. However both riders are leaning the same with their bike and adjusting their upper bodies in relation to speed, weight, tire condition, nerve, whatever.
Each bike's turning process follows the same rule - at a stop and at 1 - 3 mph, turning your handlebar steers the bike - at speeds roughly 5 mph steering is accomplished with the turning of the bars and leaning - at 10 mph +/- you need to lean in the direction you want to turn (countersteering). If you are on a Nomad you can't get around the block without doing this, you may not know it but you are doing it. If you take the bike thru a "keyhole" route clockwise you have to lean the bike way to the left but you must 'counter' the lean by leaning your upper body seriously to the right or you won't make the turn. Watch this video real close for the nuances of the lean

Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Which way do you lean???

That sure is some fine riding.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #42

Which way do you lean???

I guess we'd all be a little better with that fleet of practice bikes to use.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #43

Which way do you lean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims
glwilson's photo [ lean angle.jpg ] says it all. However both riders are leaning the same with their bike and adjusting their upper bodies in relation to speed, weight, tire condition, nerve, whatever.
Each bike's turning process follows the same rule - at a stop and at 1 - 3 mph, turning your handlebar steers the bike - at speeds roughly 5 mph steering is accomplished with the turning of the bars and leaning - at 10 mph +/- you need to lean in the direction you want to turn (countersteering). If you are on a Nomad you can't get around the block without doing this, you may not know it but you are doing it. If you take the bike thru a "keyhole" route clockwise you have to lean the bike way to the left but you must 'counter' the lean by leaning your upper body seriously to the right or you won't make the turn. Watch this video real close for the nuances of the lean
Awesome Video . . . WOW

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ