Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #31

Group Riding Accident Video-Bob's Final Ruling

Gotta say it...what a strange scream by the person filming...sounded like a bird. Just had to say :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #32

Gotta say it...what a strange scream by the person filming...sounded like a bird. Just had to say :-/
Kawanow Member #23

Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #33

I went back and viewed this video a bunch of times out of curiosity. I kept clicking stop and go quickly so I could sort of do a frame by frame view. I don't think the second bike hit him like I thought it did. Also, i wonder if he locked the rear brake and then squeezed the front brake to hard and it started to go away from him. I've seen many students lock the front brake countless times and everytime they do the front wheel immediately turns....usually to the riders left. At that point he instinctively put his foot down and the rest is history??? just a thought.

vin

Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #34

I suspect he ran out of talent. Scary video.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #35

My vote is that the rider behind was traveling faster than the one in front and skidded in an attempt to avoid hitting the rider in front which he was unable to do. It appears in the slow-motion that the second bike is on the ground much sooner than the one in the front.

Another common occurrence in group rides is the rider in front rolling off the throttle giving no other indication that they are slowing and the bike behind has to take evasive action to avoid what we see happening in this video. That's what I feel is the most likely cause of this accident. The amount of riding gear they were not wearing is also an indicator to me that they were not experienced riders and had not received any professional training which is another common cause of motorcycle crashes.
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #36

Looked like he put his left foot down? For whaever reason..

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead

The amount of riding gear they were not wearing is also an indicator to me that they were not experienced riders and had not received any professional training which is another common cause of motorcycle crashes.
I don't think you can equate what a rider is wearing or not wearing to "experience". But, as I look at this video I know why I don't like ridding in close formation. I think the 2 sec separation rule at highway speeds is false security.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead

The amount of riding gear they were not wearing is also an indicator to me that they were not experienced riders and had not received any professional training which is another common cause of motorcycle crashes.
I don't think you can equate what a rider is wearing or not wearing to "experience". But, as I look at this video I know why I don't like ridding in close formation. I think the 2 sec separation rule at highway speeds is false security.
May be true. I broke my own steadfast rule the other day. Wanted to ride the bike to work the next morning...so took it out that early evening to gas it up...had on shorts, sleeveless top...1st time rode the bike without bluejeans. Told myself....bad girl breaking your own rule..... :-/
Kawanow Member #23

Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74

May be true. I broke my own steadfast rule the other day. Wanted to ride the bike to work the next morning...so took it out that early evening to gas it up...had on shorts, sleeveless top...1st time rode the bike without bluejeans. Told myself....bad girl breaking your own rule..... :-/
Honestly folks, my comment was only meant to cause some thought about gear. I'm well aware there are plenty of great riders out there who choose to ride at a much higher level of risk, should they be involved in a get off at any speed. No it's not an indicator that they've been trained or what there experience level really is.
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #40

it looks to me like he locked his front wheel. The moment he goes down there is a puff of smoke but the front of the bike ducks down hard, and then turns to the left. I dont think the other bike was close enough to catch his rear wheel, looks like they hit the panic button when the first guy fell into his path