Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #31
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
No more trailering

Personally, it doesn't matter to me the distance to ride from Point A to Point B. I was riding my bike back and forth between Durango Mexico and El Paso this past summer and it was 700 miles one way.

My wife, on the other hand, has never ridden until we met and then I bought the Nomad, so she is getting use to it. Her philosophy, if I'm happy, so is she. If I ride, she'll ride with me.

But I did buy a used cargo trailer this past fall, to haul the bike long distances, as I'm not yet convinced that she'll take a 3,000 mile trip on just a bike.

Sometimes it has to go both ways, as life and marriages are not a one way street.

But, I'll have to admit, she finds ways for me to get my riding in and doesn't mind if I do it alone. God bless her soul, I couldn't ask for a better wife.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #32
Advanced Member

No more trailering

Just got a new Nomad and as soon as I suggested we take the bike to Va. Beach for our yearly excursion to my SO (Karen) her first response was 'can we get a trailer for it?

She was totally into the idea of the ride, just not too sure she wanted to be limited on the amount of junk she could take with her! Looks like I need a day trip with her so we can both learn a little of how much we can take along before I decide on a trailer.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #33

No more trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C.
Just got a new Nomad and as soon as I suggested we take the bike to Va. Beach for our yearly excursion to my SO (Karen) her first response was 'can we get a trailer for it?

She was totally into the idea of the ride, just not too sure she wanted to be limited on the amount of junk she could take with her! Looks like I need a day trip with her so we can both learn a little of how much we can take along before I decide on a trailer.

Its a learning curve on what to take. If you cant get it in the saddle bag, it stays home. Unless you have a trailer. We tend to keep it at 4 days worth of clothes. Theres a laundry mat at most hotels.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #34

No more trailering

My wife will take a whole duffle bag for two days. Me I only need one extra change of clothes, case it rains, and some pit stick so I don't stink too bad. Maybe some sunblock :)

Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #35

No more trailering

Really been thinking about getting a trailer..A few of the guys and family members I ride with pull them and can fit a house in there compared to just stuffing the bags....And now the the No-Turn hitch comes on most trailers, how much safer can ya get?

But, Im in Novi's shoes, and single again..So not sure how much stuff a single guy needs to pack..But, finding a date that likes to ride hasn't been a problem so far..

OP, I hope you get this "small" incident worked out with your better half...I mean other half..Just pack the bike at rally time, tell her that you want her to take a "short" ride with you to make sure everything is balanced, and just head for Custer..Just dont stop for fuel until your out of your home state.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #36
Advanced Member

No more trailering

Guess I'm not one of the norm! I've been pullin trailers since the early 80's. Started with Cargo trailers and finally moved up to Tent trailer's. Have also done the Truck Camper / Trailer / Motorhome things but both the old lady and I still agree the bike & trailer is the way to go!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #37

No more trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyjunkie

Just pack the bike at rally time, tell her that you want her to take a "short" ride with you to make sure everything is balanced, and just head for Custer..Just dont stop for fuel until your out of your home state.
She rides with me all the time she just doesn't want to go on the long ride to Custer. As far as not stopping for gas... Custer is in my home state so that wouldn't work anyway. I guess I don't mind the whole thing so much it was just that she waited 5 months to tell me.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #38

No more trailering

sorry to hear that!
The part I don't get is; why does she think it is too dangerous to pull a trailer? I've pulled mine on a 2750 mile trip, just me and my friend, no trouble.
It is as safe as it's driver; as long as the equipment is in good shape.
She sounds like she's afraid of riding, period!
sorry it's like that, my wife won't hesitate to ride to California and back with me, if I ask her to.
maybe she just needs some more "saddle time" .
good luck

Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #39

No more trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty
My wife started riding with me more when I got the Nomad, but I know she's not up for a long trip on the bike. Besides she packs too much stuff anyway. :)

She is "OK" with riding on short trips, but not a fanatic or anything. Heck, even my longest trip has only been 800 miles over 3 days.

And it always feels 10X more risky when she is with me anyway, because if I get hurt, well that's me, but if she got hurt that would be a big burden I'd have to live with.

I've been thinking about coming to the rally in Custer, but I know she won't want to ride that far, so I've been considering rigging up our cargo trailer with a wheel chock and trailering my bike up there. I figure if we get there, safe and sound, and with all her stuff, then all is good. :)
Get her a plane ticket and pick her up at the airport.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #40

No more trailering

I asked a friend where his wife was. He said "She left herself at home".

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #41
Advanced Member

No more trailering

Dear OP:

Your situation has sparked quite a response. I particularly enjoyed the advice you were given about washing all the clothes in hot water!

I'm sure there will be many couples going to Custer, SD traveling a further distance than you and your wife would have (or will). It is interesting what some women consider a 'long' ride vs a 'short' ride...

I too share a similar dilemma with my wife. She is not interested in motorcycles, and only goes with me when we rent one because she feels she has too. I've already bought her the expensive helmet (fits too tight) riding jacket (makes her look like a biker chick) and other assorted paraphanelia in an attempt to make things as comfortable for her as possible. These efforts have met with not much sucess.

I personally really like the Nomad, and am still debating about whether to get an '08 or an '09. There are things I like about each. A Harley just seems too expensive. I imagine I too will put a trunk on the back in yet another effort to keep her extra comfy. Most likely what will happen is she'll come along for the first few rides, and then when she gets completely fed up with it, won't ride at all.

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #42

No more trailering

OP,

I sympathize with your situation with your co-pilot. Something that I've always tried to do on long trips is plan plenty of stops where she can stretch, walk, do a little shopping at the roadside, etc. Our trips, whether long or short, always include a lot of off-the-bike-time. Now, there are times when a long unavoidable drone down the blacktop is unavoidable, but I make sure it's not too long that she starts getting bored or uncomfortable. I have to admit, I am eternally grateful that I have such a great passenger, because I know I would hate just sitting on the back the whole time.

And when at all possible, I try to choose nice places to overnight where she and I can sit down to a nice meal in nice surroundings and clean linen! ;) Don't get me wrong, we enjoy camping and roughing it just the same, but on the bike on a long journey it's nice to unwind from a hot day on the road by taking a nice cool swim or relax in a hottub. We can't always afford to stay where we want...but I always make an effort - even if it means running up the credit card a little too high once in a while.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #43

No more trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
I asked a friend where his wife was. He said "She left herself at home".
I think this nails it. My wife does the the longer trips because she likes seeing new stuff but won't ride just to ride so spends a lot of time at home while I'm out soaking it up.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #44
Advanced Member

No more trailering

Thats ok, when I told the wife I was buying a bike, she said, I don't want to ride it, I'm not going to ride it, I don't want to see the bill, you pay for it and make sure you increase your life insurance.
Oh well, more room to pack my stuff on a trip

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #45

No more trailering

Darth,

You Da Man!

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#