Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #31

You could still do the right side air cleaner and remove the tube. Since you still run stock exhaust, you wouldn't need a fuel processor. The stock exhaust would keep the same amount of restriction, thus keeping the mixture virtually the same. If your bike was still stock you wouldn't have removed the air solenoids.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
You could still do the right side air cleaner and remove the tube. Since you still run stock exhaust, you wouldn't need a fuel processor. The stock exhaust would keep the same amount of restriction, thus keeping the mixture virtually the same. If your bike was still stock you wouldn't have removed the air solenoids.
Dave, if that is the case why would the air coming in from the top of the tube make it run lean.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #33

It shouldn't , maybe that's not your problem.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #34

Hope that is your issue but it may not be. Never good to run un filter air through the motor but I am not sure that it would cause an over lean issue to the point of running crap. These bikes are over lean to start with and plugs are often whiteish on a stock bike. If it was a carbed bike with fixed jets, quite probably the issue, but I would think on FI the ECU would compensate some what for the free'er air flow but maybe not enough and if that is the case any one who does the double air filter mod should run into the same issue.
Keep us posted if this is the cure Tim.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #35

Maybe the air temp sensor is bad. If that doesn't read right, it could be telling the ECU to lean out the motor. Just a thought.........

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I think the air temp sensor is telling TC to get a Victory CCT!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #37

Right side air filter=cooler air and maybe increased air into throttle bodies. If air is increased he will need a fuel processor or will run even leaner. If just cooler then temp sensor may be affected and need to be moved. The stock pipes restriction has nothing to do with mixture since the fuel/air already ignited before it ever gets to the pipes.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I think the air temp sensor is telling TC to get a Victory CCT!
He doesn't like those clunky damn things....

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
He doesn't like those clunky damn things....
Well he has choices, things that go clunk on the highway or things that go help me I can't breathe, or that other brand, I can't remember the name.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 05-21-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #40

Tim,
The very first thing I'd do is check the plugs for color. If they seem too light in color, it could be insufficient fuel. Dark or black indicates too much fuel. Is your efi light on or flashing while engine is running? There's a procedure in the manual for detecting any FI codes in the ECU. It's simple to do and only takes a jumper wire IIRC, but a second set of eyes is helpful.
On your air box, not sure exactly what's going on there; kind of appears that somebody was starting to do a mod there and stopped halfway through. Those kinds of filter box mods that delete the crossover duct and use a filter on the right side, rather than the left are a PIA. If it were my bike, I'd replace the idle air solenoids and tubing, restore the wiring and call it a day. I hope you get it sorted.
Rok

Old 05-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #41

I'd remove the OEM intake and put Chuckster's dual plate and coasters on. That would allow you to completely remove the cross over tube and few other things. It's really a straight forward job and it's easier than trying to repair or replace that tube. Actually, I don't think you can replace it.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-22-2016, 01:33 AM   #42

Also, I don't think air coming through a crack in the cross over tube would cause you to run lean. That air would still be filter, and the amount of additional air would be minimal. The ECU should be able to compensate for such a minor increase.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I'd remove the OEM intake and put Chuckster's dual plate and coasters on. That would allow you to completely remove the cross over tube and few other things. It's really a straight forward job and it's easier than trying to repair or replace that tube. Actually, I don't think you can replace it.
I do not want to go the fuel processor route.
If I do this without any other mods will my bike run without any problems like being to lean?
What do you do with all the wires I now have taped up and in the dogbowl?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 05-22-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #44
Advanced Member

I know you said no fuel processor, but I had a problem with hesitation and jerky off to on throttle at slow speeds. I cleaned, mopped, dusted, polished, scrubbed and put in iridium plugs plus the deshelley(?) throttle mod. The mod took care of the jerky throttle and everything else helped but didn't solve the hesitation problem. I caved in and went for Dobeck TFI processor. So far, so good. I just did it yesterday, but it looks like the hesitation is gone. Once you get through the PITA tank removal or lifting, the TFI is easy to hook up. If I can do it anyone can. And, the throttle mod takes about 10 seconds once you prep and take apart the switch housing. It's very simple.

If the bike is stock or modified the TFI should cure it's ills. I thought FI was the panacea for modern engines. My Yamaha Venture with it's four carbs was a pleasure compared to the Kawi FI. There's an awful lot of things I wish I'd known about BEFORE I bought the Nomad.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #45
Advanced Member

Not for nothin', to follow up on my above post, I just took a 20 mile half freeway/half highway ride. No hesitation, smoother, noticeable difference in power and, as a side benefit, better exhaust sound. The Nomad is actually starting to act like a real motorcycle.

By the way, the only thing done to my bike when I bought it was the previous owner had removed the rear baffles. As far as I know it is otherwise stock.

And, yes, you can do a TFI (I got it for $153 and free shipping. Search "Best Price Dobeck TFI)) on a stock bike to overcome the extra lean factory settings.

Last edited by Tortuga; 05-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.