Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #31

Congratulations!

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #32

Man you stole those bags! Great deal for sure! Wrap them up and save them...you have what we call Forum Equity! LOL!

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I went, , I saw,, I wiggled, $150
Honest engine! Nice guy he was. Did not need the $$$, just needed them gone. Sounds like a fishin' story, I know, but true I say. His dad took them off the bike he had bought new the day he came with it and they have been in his moms basement since.
Just a good find...
150 is just barely enough to buy 3 strips last time I knew and that was in early 06.

wiggled huh maybe, but i bet i can wear more make up than you and your 2 best girlfriends can in a year, and in a single day for just me.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #34

"forum equity"... I like that! I would be more than willing to do buisness like that.
All kinds a goodies I need for this sled. Lookin' at a set of V&H baggers first off. Where would I find my "bestest " deal on a set of those? Front to back, not slip ons.
Time to wake this thing up...

Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
"forum equity"... I like that! I would be more than willing to do buisness like that.
All kinds a goodies I need for this sled. Lookin' at a set of V&H baggers first off. Where would I find my "bestest " deal on a set of those? Front to back, not slip ons.
Time to wake this thing up...
Baggers will let the bike breath out, but not in. Both the intake and the exhaust are restricted. These bikes are very lean from the factory and there is no means to adjust fuel mix as stock. So better breathing is 2/3rds of the problem to wake it up. More fuel in next on the list and the reality is more fuel is 1st.

For that you need a TFI which is not a computer, but is a series of resistors that fool the primitive computer, and make that ecu adjustable. IMO the cobra unit is not the best as you get no change in RPM when you set it up...

I learned that from years of reading about guys here struggling to tell when the unit was set up correctly. I learned the PC III is expensive and overly complicated and can loose maps. I even saw on on the road lose it's map and was helpless to do a thing about it. If you are a IT type and carry a lap top around it is a maybe at best.

That PC III is for a closed loop set up meaning it gets fed back from a O2 sender the nomads don't have. Nomads are open loop and the old D Jetronic system i knew and brand new electronic fuel injection in 1968 on Volvo 122 Amazon. That was the last year of that car and the first year of D jet on any car. I personally knew Stanley Parks the inventor engineer who developed that system. back then it was fuel mix adjustable.

Bestest Deal? I guess you will need more wiggle

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #36

well... I'm gonna try & process 1/2 of what you just took me to school on here tonight

Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
well... I'm gonna try & process 1/2 of what you just took me to school on here tonight
Ok, lets use a human body.

First off we restrict breathing in with a big wide belt around your chest, and you get no breakfast what so ever, not even a glass of water.

Next 'we' go for a nice jog to warm up the engine. Once it's all warmed up we run a 400 yards dash! Won't that be fun

You have no fuel to burn and you can't breath in so you really can't breath out well either. You can only breath in so much as that belt allows, and with no fuel you won't really do your best.

Next we add a small rack on the belt that is computer driven so the belt will adjust itself as rapidly as you can exhale, and it draws up tight as you in hale.

Still no food to burn, and you repeat that same run. This time you can breath out all you like but you still can't breath in because that belt draws up too tight each time you try to breath.

This is the baggers and a stock intake. Still no fuel.

Even worse for a real engine is all the air it wants with a big air kit and a more open exhaust and no fuel added. And this no fuel; added is to a engine that hasn't got enough fuel to start with in the first place!

As a human this is doing that 400 yards dash with no dinner and no breakfast not even a glass of water and on a day of 102 degrees in full blown humidity.

You are going to burn out long before you make the finish line.

The only way to win is to be able to match breathing In with breathing out better and to the point the big pistons and valves can allow. There is a limiting factor here for all of us too, and that is cam lobes lift and duration, and we have no real choice on cams, while we do have big bore kits..... I don't know why we need bigger bores and bigger pistons with out cams that give more lift and duration, but we don't.

With more air you must match fuel. The ECU from the factory limits fuel, and there is no means to add more on a stock bike. The limits are set overly lean.

Breakfast is 1/2 egg 1/4 cup coffee black and no sugar.

Add the TFI and feed the fuel to match the air and get somewhere around 14 parts air to 1 part fuel and we have a machine that burns the correct air to fuel mix to create power.

That is a LAW. Engines run by laws of physics, not bean counters demands.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys! I went, , I saw,, I wiggled, $150
Honest engine! Nice guy he was. Did not need the $$$, just needed them gone. Sounds like a fishin' story, I know, but true I say. His dad took them off the bike he had bought new the day he came with it and they have been in his moms basement since.
Just a good find...
Nice score on the bags. That was one hell of a deal. If you happen across a 99 green/green rear fender for a similarly great price..........let me know?

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #39

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll pass it along.