Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #31

i never said the pump isnt cooled by the fuel ---- it is cooled by the fuel going through it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #32

Ok, one other thing that I forgot to tell you about....for those of you that are serious, you guys can also run a external inline FI Fuel Pump....I use a Walbro GSL392 pump, from high flow fuel....just a little over $100....
One thats made to be mounted outside the tank....that will free up about a 1/3 gallon of fuel. Just clean the fuel pump mounting bracketry/pump/pickup, etc, off the plate....Do that, install a straight stick fuel sender unit, you can get the ole 1500 Nomads up to 5 gallons with a little bit of trickery....this can also be used by the Classic and Vaquero folks....just gotta be mechanically inclined....
I get a large block of alum., machine out the top to fit where the fuel pump plate/ pickup bolt to bottom of tank. Then mill a deep pocket in it, leaving a 1/4 " wall thickness on sides and bottom.
I then install 2 threaded fittings thats flush with bottom of tank.....one a fuel line, one a return. At the bottom of the pocket....remember to clear the frame and the top of the cylinder head covers....I install another fitting....which will act as a reserve....a small one mind you, but still a reserve....
Just run a little 2 way valve, hook up your lines....and you can fudge and get enough milage to keep up with your Harley and Goldwing friends....
Now, because I told you a big secret....I'll have to take ya'll out now....hahaha....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-07-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #33

A couple years ago I was riding back to Sturgis from Red Lodge and was following my friend on his Ultra Limited. I was on my Voyager and we were averaging about 90 mph in very heavy wind. With the brickwall of a windshield (I have since upgraded to a Clearview)I was watching my fuel plummet. I asked Our lady of Google how far it was to the next town and realized I wasn't going to make it. I called my friend and told him to back it down to 70 or I was going to be walking. We rolled into a gas station with my bike on fumes but still running. I put 5.5 gal in a tank that is only supposed to hold 5.3. Felt pretty lucky that day.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolyer View Post
A couple years ago I was riding back to Sturgis from Red Lodge and was following my friend on his Ultra Limited. I was on my Voyager and we were averaging about 90 mph in very heavy wind. With the brickwall of a windshield (I have since upgraded to a Clearview)I was watching my fuel plummet. I asked Our lady of Google how far it was to the next town and realized I wasn't going to make it. I called my friend and told him to back it down to 70 or I was going to be walking. We rolled into a gas station with my bike on fumes but still running. I put 5.5 gal in a tank that is only supposed to hold 5.3. Felt pretty lucky that day.
Feel your pain on the FUMES thing.
And yeah, those big "flat" windshields act more like sails sometimes. My Nomad was horrible at higher speeds for MPGs...

Old 01-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #35

On the other hand, going from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone, cruising at about 45 I got 57 mpg.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

http://rotopax.com/gasflask/
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11