Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #31
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
At the Kawi dealer a few weeks ago I was told the first thing insurance companies do if there has been an accident involving the bike is they look at the tires. With a car tire installed your insurance in null and void.
At least half of whatever a dealer (car, motorcyle, truck or whatever) tells me I immediately discard as unbelievable or out right lies.

The other half, I take with a large grain of salt.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #32

Ok.... got it back... need help...

Its not bad but i dont feel comfortable in tight turns... tire has 43 psi... should i drop psi to add turning stability...

These are my first thoughts with this general gmax tire.... ride is smooth.. it does have the.pull you around feel... so guide me with the.correction.

Greg

Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #33

Drop your pressure to 40 when cold, and ride it for at least 300 miles (preferably 500) to let the tire get used to being on your rim, then find you a long sweeping curve, and ride it both ways, drop your pressure by 2 lbs, and ride the same curve again. Keep doing this until it feels it's best (that's the best way to find your "sweet spot"). When you've found your sweet spot, ride all you want, and the next morning, check your pressure to see what the cold pressure is. I use a tire pressure monitoring system, and found that my best performance is when the tire is hot, and has 32 psi in it, the cold pressure will depend on the time of the year (ambient temperature). In hot months, my cold pressure is ~28, and in the cooler months, it's ~30.
Give it and you some time, and I'm pretty sure you'll come to love the DarkSide.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Drop your pressure to 40 when cold, and ride it for at least 300 miles (preferably 500) to let the tire get used to being on your rim, then find you a long sweeping curve, and ride it both ways, drop your pressure by 2 lbs, and ride the same curve again. Keep doing this until it feels it's best (that's the best way to find your "sweet spot"). When you've found your sweet spot, ride all you want, and the next morning, check your pressure to see what the cold pressure is. I use a tire pressure monitoring system, and found that my best performance is when the tire is hot, and has 32 psi in it, the cold pressure will depend on the time of the year (ambient temperature). In hot months, my cold pressure is ~28, and in the cooler months, it's ~30.
Give it and you some time, and I'm pretty sure you'll come to love the DarkSide.
+1 What Cliff said.

Another "test" of pressure is the "wet test". (After your break in period) find a place where you can ride through wet and then dry on smooth pavement (at low speed) enough to see the pattern left by the tread. If the pattern is mostly or only the center of the tire, pressure is too high, if its all edge, pressure is too low. Adjust pressure until you get a uniform pattern. That will get you close to the "sweet spot". Then find some sweepers and fine tune it.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #35

One more thing that concerns me... went down a dirt road... scary... got home and my forearms felt like they had a workout... parked the.bike then thought im gonna shake the handlebars and see how stable the rear is... this bike shakes in the rear when i do that... its like the tire is just swaying... lol...
on the ride out of town i started feeling a lot better about it on pavement but that dirt is a killer...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #36

What tire pressure are you running in the car tire, it should be around 28 to 34 psi. You'll have to play with it for a while and gind the sweet spot, my tire seems to feel best at 30-32lbs. Plus it takes a few hundred miles to break in as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #37

The tire...

Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #38

Once you get through the break in period and get the tire down to somewhere between 28-34 PSI, you'll find it rides much better. Put a few miles on it at around 38-40 PSI. 43 is a little high in my opinion.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #39
Top Contributor

Has anyone had an accident with a car tire on and their insurance company paid up ?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #40

I live down a 1/2 mile dead end dirt / gravel road, my drive way is sand / slash dirt and is more stable to me than m/t. My sweet spot is 32psi cold . 43 in my opinion is way to high even for break in. relax and enjoy the ride ,it want take long you will be grinnin from ear to ear again. Oh yeah love the tread design on that tire.
2002 1500 biege/biege ( Darksider)
phattII risers / HD ultra trunk
Member #0855

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
I have never fiddled with the air pressure on the tire after it is mounted. 42 lbs and left it there. Right out of the box there is no problem carving corners or riding on dirt roads. My Vanco-8 is awesome.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #42
Advanced Member

crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post
I had a car tire and have gone back to mc tire. I may go back to a car tire for the longevity and smooth ride. Also the car tire is thicker and will hold a tubeless plug better.

I had the sp 5000. My only knock on the car tire was on rough country roads the back tire seemed to want to steer the bike. My tire man said all big wide tires feel like that and he hears the same comment whenever he mounts a wide tire. My 2 cents.

Thanks Bill it's good to have a good input about using a car tire. I would imagine that the Motorcycle Manufacturer's have done some test along with Tire Manufacturer's on the use of Using a Car Tire on a Motorcycle.
Safety has always been my main concern being a novice on a Motorcycle. Who knows maybe the Motorcycle Tire Manufacturer's will commit and make a Car Tire / Motorcycle Tire if that makes sense. But for now I'll stick to using True Blue Motorcycle Tire's on a Motorcycle after all that's what there for.

Many Thanks
Rolfe Lake Travis Texas

Last edited by rolfe; 07-29-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Has anyone had an accident with a car tire on and their insurance company paid up ?
For me I think because I had the CT on, I feel it saved me a couple times from an accident so the insurance comapny didnt have to pay up. Besides, it would have been the other guys insurance that would have had to pay me since it would have been their fault.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_greg View Post
One more thing that concerns me... went down a dirt road... scary... got home and my forearms felt like they had a workout... parked the.bike then thought im gonna shake the handlebars and see how stable the rear is... this bike shakes in the rear when i do that... its like the tire is just swaying... lol...
on the ride out of town i started feeling a lot better about it on pavement but that dirt is a killer...
I have about 1 1/2 miles of gravel plus a 0.1 mile driveway. First thing to do is pick a track to drive in where the cars have moved the gravel away. Second is relax. When you are tense you are having an adverse impact of the steering. The tire does like to run the ruts/grooves more but if you relax and just try to keep it out of the piles you will be ok. If they haven't run the road grader over our road in a while I have hit 60 mph down our gravel road.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #45

Im getting accustomed to the.car tire.... its different but manageable.. i think if i do it again i will get a run flat for stiffer side walls....

Corners and turning have become natural...