Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
it's only $6 but shipping is $20 if that is the only thing you are buying.
That's ridiculous. Charging 20.00 to ship something that weighs a couple ounces is just ripping off the customer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
That's ridiculous. Charging 20.00 to ship something that weighs a couple ounces is just ripping off the customer.
could send it in a cardboard USPS envelope for under $10, and companies wonder why they can't stay in business.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
Top Contributor

When I enquired Thunder told me they would put it in an envelope but would not guarantee its condition when it arrived.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #34

Even if they put it in a box the size of the gasket it would cost less than 10.00, probably closer to 5.00. I like the BAK I got from them but it took almost two months to get it with no explanations of what was going on until I repeatedly called them. Then when I did get it, it was missing a part. They promptly sent it to me but come on. I am not impressed with the service from this company at all.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #35
Advanced Member

I could see it being worth a little more money if the quality of the gasket was improved. Still not worth what they're asking.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #36

Hey Guys, I'm reading a lot about the "Thunder Gasket". My bike is stock except for Cobra Slip-ons. I will be contacting Ivan about the re-flash in a couple weeks. I plan to leave the rest as it is unless I decide to go with a K&N filter. (The bike runs good enough for me, other than the sputter and pop) Don't see any reason for the BAK, if the re-flash works as all the posts state. My bike is a 2012. How do I know if I need to order this gasket? Is it something I should do regardless, and if so, what is the part number? Thanks for your help.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Hey Guys, I'm reading a lot about the "Thunder Gasket". My bike is stock except for Cobra Slip-ons. I will be contacting Ivan about the re-flash in a couple weeks. I plan to leave the rest as it is unless I decide to go with a K&N filter. (The bike runs good enough for me, other than the sputter and pop) Don't see any reason for the BAK, if the re-flash works as all the posts state. My bike is a 2012. How do I know if I need to order this gasket? Is it something I should do regardless, and if so, what is the part number? Thanks for your help.
After removing mine to install a BAK I can't see why you would need it with the stock setup. Especially if you're not even going to touch it for any reason. Even changing the stock filter you never go near where the gasket is placed.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #38

There was a bit of a fuss a couple of years ago about intake leaks being fairly common, and some well-regarded forum posters started recommending that everyone should prevent that problem by installing a thunder gasket. You know how these things go... You read a thread like this one, and think to yourself "Hmmm... I better do that".

So many of us dutifully bought the gasket, including me.

I never had any such problem before I had that expensively shipped gasket on there, and I've never had any such problem after I scraped it off during a change of intake. If anything, I found that the width of the gasket distorted the fit to the airbox. Other posters later found they had intake leaks at the cylinder side of the throttle body anyway, so the gasket did nothing for them either.

So my advice, FWIW, is to buy the gasket if you're sure you have an intake leak between airbox & throttle body that a simple application of something like Threebond 1211 can't fix. If you don't have any intake leak, just leave it alone & ride

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #39

Peg, how do I tell if I have a small leak in the first place? Is there some form of trick or technique to see if the intake is leaking? Just asking;that is one area that I haven't messed with much.

Thanks.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #40

We all climbed on the gasket bandwagon as a potential fix for the exhaust popping. In my case it made no difference at all to the popping, so I assume I had no intake leak. I got the settings on my EJK near with very little popping, but the only real fix is the ECU flash.

If you think you do have a leak, spray a little engine-start or similar around the intake while the bike is idling... if there is a leak, the idle speed will be affected.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #41

That gasket is a complete waste and ripoff, It does nothing. It's nothing more than a piece of cutout cardboard. Save your money and get the Ivans flash and your decel pop will be gone.

Last edited by dhobbs74; 06-12-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
That gasket is a complete waste and ripoff, It does nothing. It's nothing more than a piece of cutout piece of cardboard.Save your money and get the Ivans flash and your decel pop will be gone.
And it will run cooler