Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #31

Cobra Lightbar for '05 Nomad...Got er dun....

I noticed that too Todd. Trip?

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #32
VBA Founder

Quote:
Trip! I'm sorry to bring this up but it looks like your left light is pointed oddly? Maybe too far up? Maybe a bit left? I just can't tell!

I'm sorry, but I spent weeks making sure they were just right! I just can't be alone on that! They look good!

Believe it or not Tomk, the lights are pointing correctly. They just look that way in the photo.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
VBA Founder

Quote:
I noticed that too Todd. Trip?
Well, you guys caught me. I haven't purchased any yet. I plan on it, but to tell you the truth, I'm kind of picky about how they look and I haven't liked the majority of what I've seen.....so I've procrastinated.

Which ones do you guys have and where did ya get them?

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #34

Trip,

I thought it was because you had such a big thick melon, density of granite, that you weren't affected by the wind..............

I'm experimenting with my '08 Nomad. I'm running Airlite Crash Bar Chaps and have no helmet buffeting until triple digits and then it is slight.

On the 2000 Nomad I ran crash bar chaps year round. Yes, a little toasty in Texas 100+ degree summers at walking speeds but when moving and the foot out on the peg it was acceptable. I had Moxy lowers on the 2000.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #35
Top Contributor

Trip, I cut mine out on a band saw from lexan that I bought locally then polished the edges etc. I was sent the pattern by someone that I can not recall right now....but, if you want, I will be happy to make another pattern and send to you. You could cut out a cardboard version and see how you like the fit.

If I were to do mine again, I would change the angle just a bit where they meet the windshield...but not enough of a bother for me to redo mine. I also run the shield all the way up...AND, you may have to change since you have the Cobra light bar on now.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #36

I'm not sure if Cobra has changed anything or not but, I had ordered one for my 01 V-Star. The wiring was exposed and was supposed to be run on the outside of the bar. I thought that was incredibly tacky. I ended up drilling holes in the bottom of the bar to run the wires through. I drilled a larger, oval shaped hole in the center to get the wires up to the headlight bucket.

I didn't use a grommet but, I made sure all the holes were deburred prior to running the wires. That set up lasted for 4 years until I sold the bike and bought my 06 Nomad. The holes were not visable and it looked tons better without wires zip-tied to the back of the bar.

Did Cobra make that fix? I didn't see any exposed wiring inthe photos.

I'm very fond of a set of aux. light brackets being sold by CWI. It's not a "bar" per se but the look is the same. It's a pair of brackets that use the shield mounts. The spots sit directly above the turn signals. I prefer that look better than with the turn signals sitting wider that the spots.

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #37

Trip,
I had my own lowers cut as well. When I went to buy the Lexan, the guy told me he would cut it out for me so I graciously let him. A friend of mine polished the edges for me. I got the pattern from a fella who has a webpage and has his email addy available. Here's the link to the page. If you scroll down, you'll see where he talks about the lowers and has a link to email him for the pattern. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motor...moto_nomad.htm

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #38
Top Contributor

Quote:
Trip,
I had my own lowers cut as well. When I went to buy the Lexan, the guy told me he would cut it out for me so I graciously let him. A friend of mine polished the edges for me. I got the pattern from a fella who has a webpage and has his email addy available. Here's the link to the page. If you scroll down, you'll see where he talks about the lowers and has a link to email him for the pattern. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motor...moto_nomad.htm
How about that ?? That is the same ones I have....now I remember the name....,.dont know if he is still sending them out or not!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #39

Kawgirl, Thanks for the website for oversized lowers, but i couldn't get it to work.
It's probably me though I am not sure what I am doing on a computer.If someone gets it to work please post it so I know I need to try and figure it out.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #40

Hey todd,
I would like a pattern also or just a close-up photo of what your lowers look like. I can generate a pattern easily enought but would like to see what they look like

shep

Old 03-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #41

Try this. http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motor...mad.htm#lowers

Here's a pic of my lowers.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Here's mine...I changed the design just a little to make them just a little narrower at the top. I also run with my windscreen all the way up.

If you still want the pattern, I will pop one off and trace it out and send it to you in the mail....pm me with your address....

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #43

Thanks Toddf1 and Kawgirl , I'll give that a try.Man those are a lot bigger than I thought. Do you think they need to be that wide to work right?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #44

I've seen others that aren't quite as wide. They also don't come up to the windshield the way ours does. Don't know about the width. Maybe some of the others with the more narrow lowers can comment.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #45
VBA Founder

Thanks for the info Todd and Kawgirl. Jury is still out for me on the lowers. I'll check the pattern that you guys use and see. Nice pics of your steeds!!!!

Thanks,
Trip
Trip's Website