Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #331

I just received my ECU back from Ivan a few minutes ago

I will be installing it later today or tomorrow morning and going on a test ride.

Thanks for the quick service Ivan

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #332
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Got couple days of riding back and forth to work on the Ivan ECU. I have noticed the bike doesn't get as hot as I'm sitting in traffic trying to get out of downtown Dallas. Realistically, this it Texas, and in the summer it's going to be hot no matter what, but it looks like it won't be so hot before I hit the highway.

4th gear, 100mph. Check. (according to the speedometer)

Looks like I am getting better gas mileage, despite the 4th gear thing.

On the highway, passing is quicker now. Also, very smooth, but this is my first belt drive bike. If I'm not careful, I see 85mph and it is just so much better than the shaft drive I had before.

I spent a couple weeks going back and forth whether I should send Ivan the ECU or not. I'd say I wasted a couple of weeks of really enjoying how the bike runs.
I love my bike so much more now Scootergpx. Best investment I have made thus far is the ECU flash.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #333
Advanced Member

After my whining about the 2000 rpm cold idle (and learning none of the other Ivanized bikes rev that high) I've been busy tinkering. I wasn't able to find an intake leak but I removed and re-sealed the manifold anyway and replaced the throttle body complete with TPS. Also treated the old girl with new spark plugs and coolant and sprayed all my connectors with contact cleaner, and cleaned the TB and intake with carb cleaner.
I've had 2 real cold starts at freezing temps and a couple other cold starts and my bike now cold idles at 1500 and quickly drops to 1200. After 5 minutes it idles at 850. The bike still runs great and same good mileage as before so I'm happy!
I don't know what actually caused the 2000 rpm idle because I did several things but I suspect the other TPS was a bit out of range.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #334

Thumbs Up My Report After The Re-Flash

Well I just got back from a 115-mile trip with my new “Ivanized Bike”. I have to say that if you are thinking about doing this don’t hesitate as it is worth every penny.

Thank you Ivan for joining our forum and doing this for the 1700 Vulcan's.

My 2015 Voyager is all stock except for Ray’s Throttle Mod. Doing this re-flash is the greatest thing you can do. My bike has much more power all through the RPM range. It is much easier to ride in slow up and down hill curves with hair pin turns. Roll on the throttle from 2000 RPM and you have plenty of power for passing. Fifth and sixth gear are so much more usable at lower RPM's now. The stock pipes sound much better now at an idle and the pipes are louder when you are going down the road. I put it through mountain roads, on the freeway and some traffic on surface streets and must say I couldn’t be any happier. The bike also ran much cooler and never got close to the hot side even in slow traffic and slow uphill winding roads.

Cold start was no problem and the idle did search up and down for a short time but was not too high on the RPM’s. It settled down very shortly to the 900 RPM and stayed there at every stop I did.

The MPG guestimator was reading higher than before so I do think that I will see higher MPG’s.

This is the way the bike should run from the factory but because of the EPA rules we have to spend more money to make them right. What I don’t understand is why the motorcycle industry can’t make a motorcycle run like this from the factory. The auto industry has managed this with our cars and trucks so why not the motorcycle industry

Again Ivan, thank you for doing this for our 1700's, you are The Man!!!

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 04-15-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #335
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
After my whining about the 2000 rpm cold idle (and learning none of the other Ivanized bikes rev that high) I've been busy tinkering. I wasn't able to find an intake leak but I removed and re-sealed the manifold anyway and replaced the throttle body complete with TPS. Also treated the old girl with new spark plugs and coolant and sprayed all my connectors with contact cleaner, and cleaned the TB and intake with carb cleaner.
I've had 2 real cold starts at freezing temps and a couple other cold starts and my bike now cold idles at 1500 and quickly drops to 1200. After 5 minutes it idles at 850. The bike still runs great and same good mileage as before so I'm happy!
I don't know what actually caused the 2000 rpm idle because I did several things but I suspect the other TPS was a bit out of range.
I'd say mine starts out around 15-1700. Got an erratic idle, had it before the ecu was sent off, so that has nothing to do with Ivan's work. I put a gasket between the thunder intake mount and the intake manifold, but not where the oring gaskets are. I think doing this would resolve my issue. For the list of projects I have going right now, it may be a few weeks till I get that done. At least it will be warm when I do it. Maybe even in my new work shop.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #336
Advanced Member

I put the Thunder intake manifold gasket in last Fall back when I was experiencing all the backfiring problems doing everything under the sun to get rid of the headaches. I gooped it on both sides with high temp Permatex and really sealed everything up in that connection including burying the O-rings tightly in there. Since the Ivan ecu tune, things run perfectly now even better so no regrets on the gasket....every little thing you can do makes it that much better.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Well I just got back from a 115-mile trip with my new “Ivanized Bike”. I have to say that if you are thinking about doing this don’t hesitate as it is worth every penny.

Thank you Ivan for joining our forum and doing this for the 1700 Vulcan's.
(Snip)
Again Ivan, thank you for doing this for our 1700's, you are The Man!!!
A huge PLUS 1
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #338

I just finished a 200 miles ride with my buddies across South Florida. Bike is running amazing! Trip meter was 178 miles when I had to refill 5 gallons. One of my buddies with a Harley got close behind me a few times to hear the roar from the V&H and told me how awesome my bike sounds! Today I had my Shoei Neotec and earplugs I was able to hear the roar of the ThunderMFG and the V&H so clean! The flash is definitely worth the investment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011_Nomad_Ivanized_01.jpg (97.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_171642000_iOS.jpg (87.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_1631030401_iOS.jpg (98.9 KB, 31 views)

Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #339
Advanced Member

Yesterday on an 80 degree day 90 miles on a half tank Thunder intake ecu flash, 2-1 FP pipe.....yes, the flash is worth every dime invested and still running nice and cool.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #340

Same temps down here but 15-20 mph winds, seemed everywhere I went I was pushin into a head wind!

At half tank I was at 126 miles on my GPS and ran that tank out to 223 miles, took 4.982 gllns for an actual average of 44.85 mpg!

Once our spring time winds die down I'll be back up into high 40's/ low 50's.

RACNRAY

Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #341
Advanced Member

Ray that is great mpg....I am wondering if the fact that you are at sea level helps with that a little more. I am at about 3,000 ft. I am also switching back to my Roaring Toyz air breather for more volume. I am always experimenting with things...perhaps a little too much for comfort sometimes. I am thinking also the fact that your ride has as many miles on it helps too, nice loose motor.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #342

Higher altitudes generally allow for a bit better mpg compared to if ridden the same manner at lets say sea level. Less air density = less fuel consumed. Of course ridin style has ALOT to do and lately with our stupid wind we've been having it has takin a toll on mpg. Heading westbound on I-595 with the Atlantic ocean breeze pushin me along mpg and power is NICE...comin back eastbound against that wind it's like I lost 15 horsepower!! Even travelin north or south the side winds really detract from the fun, and these Vaqueros are like big sails and get pushed all over. But then I ride my Busa which only weighs 500 pnds and that thing has ants in it's pants!!!

Also I custom mapped my skoot in the advanced mode back in January or so, to finally accommodate my Gen 2 airbox I built last summer. I don't have a generic map which is what you get in a re-flash of an ECU so I have that advantage in power and mpg. There is ALWAYS the possibility to gain performance and mpg over a flashed ECU with further fine tuning. All of the skoots I have had with flashed ECU's have benefitted from custom mapping on my dyno. Just like any PCV map from anyone/any company/tuner for a specific intake/exhaust combo will not be perfect for other skoots with that same combo, flashed ECU's fall under the same scenario.

As far as my engine being "loose"...my skoot almost never leaves my sight and it's locked up at nite so if it's "getting around" I'm not aware, of course we are always the last to know!!!

LOL

RACNRAY

Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #343

Ray can you share with us on the power gains you've seen with an Ivan's reflash and a custom map?...

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX708 View Post
Ray can you share with us on the power gains you've seen with an Ivan's reflash and a custom map?...
Have not had a 1700 with Ivan's flash on my dyno yet, but the sportbikes in the past have all benefitted from custom mapping on top of ECU flashing. I have a CBR1000RR that I just performed internal engine work that has had the ECU flashed (while I was doin the engine work)to specs similar as what I did so it'll be on the dyno soon for the fine tuning. Same cams but with my headwork and some seriously bad azz velocity stacks only I make so their flash won't be perfect, none are.

RACNRAY

Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #345
Advanced Member

Finally got to fill up after having the flash done. Not seeing a huge improvement, but I still haven't gotten out of the "quit riding like that" stage.

At this point, I'm not sure I'm ever going to.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash