Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Relays, what are they and when are they needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)
CJ, I'm not a critic by any means, but I found your dissertation of "how it works", as right informative and a good read.

I just wanted to add to the definition of "close", as in close the circuit, which is what you're discussing, and what it really means.

The first and hardest part I had to understand about circuits wat that "close" was not close as in close out a current or stop it. "Close" is actually open, as open the flow - Well if you think like me anyway.....

So "closing" a circuit is to keep it "open" or flowing....

Like if you had current running through your garage door opening, but when you opened the door the current was broken or stopped and only until you "close" the door will you have the continuity.... whew.... I hope this helps novices like me....

Thanks CJ
"Closing" a circuit refers to closing the contacts in a switch, ie: making contact and completing the circuit, allowing current to flow. If a circuit is "open" there is a gap in the circuit preventing the flow of current.

A typical light switch in your house is a normally open switch, meaning an event (flipping the switch up) is required to close the contacts in the switch, thus creating an uninterrupted path from the fuse panel to the light fixture.

I hope this helps.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #17
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman
Hook #86 to your low beam headlight wire. The lights will only work with the low beam headlight and they will not come on until the engine is started.
Maybe you can help me understand why you would always want your driving lights on with the low beam only, or why you wouldn't want them on with the high beam (which is how I ride during daylight hours)?

I would suggest using the running lights wire as the relay trigger (to terminal #86) and placing a switch inline to permit manual control of the driving lights. There may be times when you don't want them on.
Some states (I don't know which for sure) only allow the driving lights to be on while the head light is on low beam. I think that's the case in Georgia but I think most people ignore it and run them on both low and high beam.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #18

Personally, I run all seven running lights up front ON 24/7....

Not so much as to help me see, but more so to be seen (by cagers)....

Having been taken out by a cage turning left in front of me years ago (bad one), I also flash my high beams at anyone about to turn into my path or about to come into my lane from the side.... but then, I ride with fear for safety.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #19

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=ga

This site doesn't indicate that Georgia requires a modulator to be set on low beams.

Comagination doesn't support modulator use on low beams.

Q. Is low beam modulation supported by the manufacturer or seller?

A. No. Manufacturer/seller only supports default high beam modulation installation. If user chooses to modulate low beam they assume self support.

http://www.comagination.com/modFaq.htm

Federal law, as nearly as I can tell, permits a modulator to be used on either high or low.

High seems to be recommended because it's aimed higher and to the left, where drivers coming toward you would see it more than lower and to the right where low beams are aimed.

Headlight modulator installation is recommended for the cycle's HIGH beam element, although it is legal on either high or low beam. The reason the high beam is preferred is because the high beam pattern illuminates the area to the center and left of the bike's centerline, which is the direction from which the majority of auto-cycle collisions occur... especially oncoming cars turning left in front of the cycle. The low beam pattern tends to illuminate the area to the center and right of the bike's centerline, a location where fewer auto-cycle collisions seem to originate.

http://users.snip.net/~WCLAMB/MODULATOR.HTM

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Maybe you can help me understand why you would always want your driving lights on with the low beam only, or why you wouldn't want them on with the high beam (which is how I ride during daylight hours)?

I would suggest using the running lights wire as the relay trigger (to terminal #86) and placing a switch inline to permit manual control of the driving lights. There may be times when you don't want them on.
The reason why I don't want my running lights on with the HIGH beam is I understand that DOT says your not supposed to. I think this is why cars that have factory running lights go out when changed to high beam.

Next reason is I can't think of any times I wouldn't want my running lights on with my low beams day or night.

Last reason is I don't want more wires and switches on my handlebars.
-Jon

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #21

CJ, some states have laws that prohibit running the driving lights on high beam.
Mine are wired so they are on with both high and low beam but the Cobra lightbar comes with an on/off switch already mounted on the bar. So if I don't want to run them I can turn them off. I have never turned them off though
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsamson
Quote:

The reason why I don't want my running lights on with the HIGH beam is I understand that DOT says your not supposed to. I think this is why cars that have factory running lights go out when changed to high beam.

Next reason is I can't think of any times I wouldn't want my running lights on with my low beams day or night.

Last reason is I don't want more wires and switches on my handlebars.
-Jon
Well, okay. The use of driving lights is not as regulated where I live.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Poor CJ- everybody telling you the whys and how comes of driving lights...