Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #16

MSF Training

Rick,

Please let us know how you make out and what you think of the class. "turn that head and look where you want to go"

vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #17

MSF Training

I'm going to have to break ALOT of old habits I'm sure.
I start tonight in the classroom session.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #18

MSF Training

I remember one time a few years back I was on the back of my Hubie's Goldwing and we had gone to pick up my bike from the shop. Hubie pulled up and stopped on a slight downhill spot, put the kickstand down and got off. I was sitting on the back seat and that quick the bike started rolling forward off the kickstand.

I was yelling at my Hubie while my first instinct was to jump. Fortunately he was close enough to catch to bike as it started leaning to the left and I stood up and put my weight on the right rear floor board. We managed to hold her up by hook or crook. But just saying my first instinct even though I ride my own was to bale out.

LOL when the Goldwing was new to him his bike rolled off the kickstand 2-3 times just parking it on very slight declines. Has happened to a friend who has a Goldwing too. One time when me, my Hubie and another friend who was also on a Goldwing was riding the Blueridge parkway we stopped at an overlook. .....hubie was leading so pulled up got off his bike, I was behind him pulled up and as I was getting off my bike could see Hubie's Goldwing rolling off the kickstand falling over....friend behind me on his goldwing with passenger was pulling up and saw it also so pulled up got off his bike to go help pick up my Hubie's bike also. Anyway, the three of us are picking up my Hubie's bike when friends wife started hollering....friends bike rolled off it's kickstand too! She baled....came off bike and did a tucked roll away from the bike. I really teased them as the Nomad has never rolled off it's kickstand.....guess it's those short kickstands on the 800@ bikes. :-/

Anyway it all happens pretty fast. Oh BTW friends passenger was laying on the ground with the cord from her helmet still attached to the bike....it was a funny site....BTW She was okay one slight skinned place on elbow even with long sleeve jacket on.

Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #19

MSF Training

Finished the class yesterday afternoon and let me tell you,I was reminded several times about some bad habits that I have developed over the years.
Overall the class was informative and alot of fun.The bikes we used were Buell Blast (500cc).They are very agile bikes and pretty fun to ride,but not a great bike in my opinion.They run rough and the controls are stiff.That might be just my opinion from riding my Nomad though.
Looking at it from a new rider's perspective,I would highly recommend this course.It is very informative and the course is setup to allow the new rider to experience different aspects of riding.It is designed to simulate alot of different scenarios.The slow speed manuvering exercises were very difficult for new rider that wouldn't be used to turning a bike at hard over steering.
I recommended this course for new riders before I took it,now I recommend it to new riders as well as riders that haven't taken it and have been riding less than 2 years.
Even if you have been riding for years,it is still a fun way to spend a weekend.
Not to mention the reduced insurance rates.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #20

MSF Training

Took the basic course a couple of year ago. Refreshed a few riding tips I learned years ago but got sloppy with over the years. Good to go back to the basics and clear the cobwebs out of the old gray matter. Looking to take an advanced course within the next year or so.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #21

MSF Training

Good for your Rick. I personally think nobody should be allowed to get their motorcycle endorsement unless they complete the basic course. I know many old timers that have been riding for more years than I am old and they could never make it through the eval. When they ride they avoid certain situations that make them uncomfortable.

vin

Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #22

MSF Training

I have been riding for a very long time and it reminded me of several things I forgot or don't do exactly right.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #23

MSF Training

I'm sure you'll be feeling much more comfortable and confident with your riding now.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #24

MSF Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
Good for your Rick. I personally think nobody should be allowed to get their motorcycle endorsement unless they complete the basic course. I know many old timers that have been riding for more years than I am old and they could never make it through the eval. When they ride they avoid certain situations that make them uncomfortable.

vin
HEY, I resemble that remark

Cindy bought her bike and I taught her what I knew while we were waiting for the MSF course to start.
She learned pretty fast. Passed the course with flying colors. I did learn from her that I was not looking through the curves as much as I should. Still don't. For some reason I want to look about 20 feet in front of the bike ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #25

MSF Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc

vin
I took the course 3 years ago after riding for more than 12 years and owning 3 bikes. Let me tell you, it helped me eliminate all my bad habits completely (and I've had a few). I recommend this to any one that never took this course. Will take the other two levels next season.
Oh, btw my name is joker . Nice forum you've got here.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #26

MSF Training

Welcome Joker Glad to have you aboard.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #27

MSF Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad "Darksider"
Welcome Joker Glad to have you aboard.
Thank you.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Mega-Contributor

MSF Training

Joker, welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #29

MSF Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Joker, welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!
Thank you.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #30

MSF Training

Welcome Joker. Yes, the MSF course will but you on-course. I was fortunate to take it before starting to ride again after about 25-year break, really had no idea what I was doing back then, not necessarily talking only about riding either.