Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #16

Turbulence

:) Morning all- I haven't noticed a lot of buffeting on my 2001. The little bit I did notice I remedied by taking the visor off my helmet. Rode 1000 miles and didn't feel any. Just a thought!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Top Contributor

Turbulence

Thanks sarge will do. :-)

Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1
Turbulence

I just ordered my engine chaps. I'm looking foward to them arriving.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Turbulence

Doc, I tried the tilt back windshield for the Western Rally and rode 1200 miles with it and although it probably cut through the wind better but there was far more wind "noise". No extra buffeting but if you wear anything less than a full face helmet you might hear lots of wind noise like I did. After much conversations with lots of riding buddies the consenses is that a near straigh up and down windshield is still the best as far as wind protection is concerned. Tilted back the wind is racing over your head and you can really hear it!

Kris, that screen is just a cheap type of plastic mesh and I took a pair of sissors and cut it out as near to the stitching as possible. My Nomad was running much hotter with in on (contrary to the claim that it makes your bike run cooler) and now it doesn't.

Before I did this I set the chaps in front of a 14" fan and tested how well the wind blew through the mesh screen and I could barely feel the wind. Then had a friend move the chaps away from the fan and it blew my hat off! That mesh really blocks the wind to a motorcycle that already runs too hot!

When you put it back on you have to be more exact so it still fits tight without the screen but you can get a good fit and seal around the crash bars. Just now the radiator is fully exposed again.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
VBA Founder

Turbulence

I've had the SageBrush engine guard chaps on my Nomad since I got it over 3 years ago. Keep them on all year round.

Although the sagebrush chaps are good, I had to have them reinforced after I got them. I would suggest getting engine guard chaps from Classic Chaps at www.classicchaps.com.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Turbulence

leaving the windscreen stock

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #22

Turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I've had the SageBrush engine guard chaps on my Nomad since I got it over 3 years ago. Keep them on all year round.

Although the sagebrush chaps are good, I had to have them reinforced after I got them. I would suggest getting engine guard chaps from Classic Chaps at www.classicchaps.com.
I just order a set from sagebrush because they were the only place I could find that would fit a 1600 Classic with MC Ent. bars. They should arrive next week. I was impressed with Chris and his customer service.

Why did the chaps need to be reinforced and what did you do?

Cheers!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Turbulence

BD,
While giving the Nad a scrub yesterday, I took the time to cut that cheap screen out of the engine guard chap as you suggested. Once out, I tried to blow through it with my hand behind it and like you said....hardly any air passes through it. That little mod will make a world of difference....thanks for the tip!

Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016