Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Conversation with a cop

You are all correct about the scooters. My buddy was concerned about people on full sized motorcycles, lots of power, with no training, no protection and no idea how to stay safe. He sees people stiff legging a bike to try to move it forward and hop around corners in tight spaces. Too easy for a newbie to swing wide when pulling onto a street in front of a cage or use too much throttle in a curve and fixate on where they don't want to go, the ditch or sidewalk, and get in a wreck. Lots of untrained, clueless people on motorcycles. Scary thought.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #17
VBA Founder

Conversation with a cop

In light of all this, I've been thinking about opening up a scotter shop, if not physically, maybe virtually. But, if I can't get the product, may not be worth it.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #18

Conversation with a cop

If you're willing to import from China, I can get ya all the scooters you can sell.

The trick is to sell 500 of them in one week, and then close the shop before they all come back broken. ;)

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #19

Conversation with a cop

My future daughter-in-laws father had been asking me about bikes for about a month. I recommended that he take the MSF course, as I did, so he could see what it's all about before he spent money on a bike. Then start with a small used bike for a year and then trade up. He has never ridden a street bike before as far as I can tell.

Well, he calls me two days ago and says he wants me to come see his bike and go ride with him! He bought an 1100 cc Yamaha something-or-other, and stopped at the license bureau on the way to the dealer to get his beginner permit so he could ride it home! You only have to pass a written test here in MO to get a learners permit, and that was it before he brought the bike home about 30 miles from the dealer! He is usually a very safety-conscious, and deliberate guy, and I am so worried that he has gotten in over his head.

I am going to take my ride-like-a-pro DVD to him on Saturday and tell him to leave it parked until he gets into the local MSF class, but I don't know how he'll take it.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #20

Conversation with a cop

Here in Florida they passed a new law that went into effect July 1st. It should help...

Starting July 1, new motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Trainer Program before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per Section 322.12(5)(a)., Florida Statutes.

After July 1 of this year, everyone will have to take the class and pass the test, no matter their age. Upon successful completion, the sponsor will submit the pass results electronically to the department records. Upon receiving the results, the applicant will be processed for a motorcycle endorsement.

Guess it still doesn't address those who ride illegally.. :(

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #21

Conversation with a cop

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3974807

Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #22

Conversation with a cop

We have that problem with riders (primarily military) not having a motorcycle license or endorsement on their O/L. Believe it or not, NHTSA has recognized the problems with unlicensed riders and has recommended that police departments across the nation set up "motorcycle safety checkpoints." We have discussed doing one but have not actually done it yet.

It has been common practice to find a young soldier or sailor without a motorcycle license or insurance. They don't have motorcycle insurance because many of them [either by age or bad driving records] simply say they cannot afford it. I've learned that a lot of our military service members have crashed while off duty and were no longer fit for further military service as a result of their injuries. Sadly, a large number have died as a result.

As some of you know, all of my job specialties are traffic related. We recently met with high level Command members in the military who wanted to specifically discuss the military DUI and motorcycle problems. The problem is that these guys/gals earn and save a ton of money during extensive deployments. They then return to the states and can literally afford a "rocket on wheels" that cannot be bought by someone of equal age that is going to college or working a regular job in the community. Our sport bike shops specifically target the young military to boost their sales.

The Navy now has an order in place that specifically addresses riding motorcycles. Riders who get charged for not having a motorcycle license or who get caught "reckless driving or speeding" on a motorcycle are taken to non-judicial punishment because they are in direct violation of the order. The law violation (speeding, no motorcycle license, reckless driving, etc) is handled by the civilian courts. However, the fact that they were ordered specifically not to violate the law under certain circumstances while riding a motorcycle is reviewed and addressed by the military. The order also includes the completion of mandatory rider training programs.

I can tell you that the military does care about their people. The order they have implemented is really only another method for keeping honest people honest. It somewhat parallels their DUI orders. They don't want ANYONE to get caught in violation of the motorcycle laws or training. I believe their order has made a significant and immediate impact on bad motorcycle riding on our city roadways.

Believe it or not, the Navy has even implemented a new advanced riding class that is specific to sport bike characteristics. This course is mandatory for all of their sport bike riders.

Check out the Navy Safety Center web site below. It is full of great information for any rider but also highlights the creative ways our military is addressing the problem.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/...le/motorcycle/

Old 08-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #23

Conversation with a cop

dui is right, the military does care about its members. I'm glad to hear about the extra set of orders governing off base activity. When I was in the USMC anyone who got sufficiently sunburned on the weekend as to preclude wearing the untility uniform on Monday was subject to Office Hours.

My wife and I talked abou the unlicensed MC riders and feel that an endorsement should be required to obtain a permanent registration from the DMV. Buy a MC or a scooter and get a learners permit and a temp license plate to boot. Fail to follow through with the MSF training and no plates, sorry.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #24

Conversation with a cop

Being a member of the National Guard currently and a MSF rider coach I can attest to the fact that all military members regardless of branch are mandated to complete the MSF basic course and wear all protective gear at ALL times.

vin

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #25

Conversation with a cop

When I was active duty army I was stationed in Colorado, a no helmet law state. However, if you were military and got into a accident on a bike without wearing long pants, closed toe shoes, long sleeves, helmet, gloves, and reflective belt then you were not covered by the military for any medical bills incurred. I saw this happen to a coupla guys

Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #26

Conversation with a cop

Yeap same concern here by local police. My local police buddy worked single bike fatality accident this last week involving young male early twenties riding a sport bike about 5 am going to work. He borrowed his friend brand new bike less than 4 days old, no endorsement, no insurance, no safety gear, tennis shoe, shorts, and tee shirt, since his car would not start. He over shot a curve at a high rate of speed, hitting a guide wire support for a power pole. He rode the wire up the pole and the bike stayed low wrapping around the pole itself. Not a pretty site for sure and one of the worst bike accidents my buddy has worked in recent years as traffic homicide investigator.

Thing is the endorsement doesn't give common sense neither. I just don't think you can educate common sense. I remember the late 70's you could ride your bike to high school on learner's permit at age 15 here in Florida and there was no such thing as a motorcycle endorsement. We did not lose anybody but some did go down. Even brought long guns to school in the pickup window gun rack but I guess that was just a different time that's long gone.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #27

Conversation with a cop

skimo, sounds like a nasty mess from that accident. One thing is different from the late 70's, at least in my mind, the bikes these days are more powerful and faster. Lots more torque. Way too easy to get into trouble.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #28

Conversation with a cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
skimo, sounds like a nasty mess from that accident. One thing is different from the late 70's, at least in my mind, the bikes these days are more powerful and faster. Lots more torque. Way too easy to get into trouble.
I would agree that is a big factor today. Some of today's stock bikes would just eat those modified bikes of yester year.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #29

Conversation with a cop

Yes, and you can even buy 600cc scooters, which was a thing unheard of! I do not ever remember seeing a scooter over 200cc when I was a kid.