Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Metzler used to recommend a tire what was not stock size for the Honda Sabre 1100. Now they do not, even though they still carry the size they previously recommended. Lawyers probably got involved and made them stop. Seems most companies won't recommend tires anymore that are not stock size and spec.

Worse, I don't remember which brand I found this on their site, but they recommended to never run tires at over the max listed on the side or never less than 6 psi (I think it was 6) less than that max, even for a light load. But they also tell you to run at whatever the bike mfg says. Their front tire for the Voyager has a 40 or 42 psi max which means you should never run it less than 34 or 36 psi but Kawi says run 28 psi in the front. If a rider has a catastrophic failure, I'm sure the lawyers from both companies will try to make it the rider's fault.
Fuck me swideways mate. I bet you your missus has got you well insured.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
Top Contributor

You have so many bends in the U.K because they had to make the roads to suit the farmers land which was broken up into small lots back in the dark ages. When they were making roads in North America in the 1800's they saw no point in making roads as complicated as possible and a straight line gets you there faster.

A bonus is tires last longer that way, and its harder to get lost

Old 09-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #18

I'll tell ya what the safety issue is with Comm IIs

They will get you killed on wet pavement or in the rain if you have to make a panic stop. I didn't get killed but a lot of fishtailing was involved.
Yes I know how to ride in the rain and no I did not stomp on the brakes and the tires only had 1000 miles on them. Long wearing hard rubber in the center of the tread does not have the grip of softer rubber.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #19

" bonus is tires last longer that way, and its harder to get lost"

I got a thing about getting lost. In fact i love it.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You have so many bends in the U.K because they had to make the roads to suit the farmers land which was broken up into small lots back in the dark ages. When they were making roads in North America in the 1800's they saw no point in making roads as complicated as possible and a straight line gets you there faster.

A bonus is tires last longer that way, and its harder to get lost
I believe that the Romans, who were famous for building straight roads, put the first bend in the road around your home town. I hear tell, that they thought it was easier than trying to get along with the local women. Having never felt the need to visit the cold,wet region that you originate from. I am not able to comment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Top Cat;716047]I'll tell ya what the safety issue is with Comm IIs.

Morning TC. Medication will be along any minute: D .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0ae520ece2c6abd9a5d798756b4f92c2.jpg (88.5 KB, 19 views)

Old 09-26-2019, 08:13 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I believe that the Romans, who were famous for building straight roads, put the first bend in the road around your home town. I hear tell, that they thought it was easier than trying to get along with the local women. Having never felt the need to visit the cold,wet region that you originate from. I am not able to comment.
I found the local women around my home town in the U.K to be very friendly and obliging

The cold and wet region that I originate from is going to feel much nicer than the 60 centimetres of snow they are expecting in Alberta and Saskatchewan this weekend.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I found the local women around my home town in the U.K to be very friendly and obliging

The cold and wet region that I originate from is going to feel much nicer than the 60 centimetres of snow they are expecting in Alberta and Saskatchewan this weekend.
Get thee home son. A bag of chips and a knee trembler, is still considered a good night out for the local girls in your home town.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #24
Top Contributor

A few Babycham's and a MGB worked for me.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Here we go again.ffs . Americans ride in straight lines, with an occasional "curve" now and again. The rest of us hammer around some bends. We also accelerate in and out of them, and brake while doing it. We call it riding, not driving too.
Not me, I avoid highways and take the backroads. Just did 1400 miles in 5 days that covered 7 states and mountain road ways. If it had Dragon or Snake in the name I rode it. Some with county rd numbers were far more entertaining.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #26

I ran 2 sets of Commander IIs on my Nomad, and got over 17,000 miles on both sets, But, when they were 1/2 worn, they got scary in the wet. The back end kicked out at 1-2 shifts, got squirrelly in turns and frankly that is why I switched to Dunlop Elite 4s. They are the best handling wet or dry tires I have ever had on the Nomad. 5,000 miles on them since they were installed this spring,and they still look great. So when I bought the Wing and saw the previous owner had installed radial Elite 4's on the front and rear only 100 miles before I bought it, I was happy! This bike makes the Nomad feel like a dump truck, but I think I found a new favorite tire.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 09-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #27
Advanced Member

So far no further word from Michelin.

As to Comm 2's being so bad in the wet, I wouldn't think they'd be recommended for any bike, so that seems unlikely to be the "safety" issue.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #28

The only gripe I have is the difference in size, has put my speedometer in la-la land.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #29

[QUOTE=mick56;716053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I'll tell ya what the safety issue is with Comm IIs.

Morning TC. Medication will be along any minute: D .

If they are bringing it Mick, I will take it
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #30

My bike lives in motorcycle Disneyland (see link) and I'm grateful to get 4000 miles out of a rear tire. If I do wait that long I can usually see cords. The front gets replaced with every other rear and is usually severely scalloped.

https://www.windy9.com/
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog