Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #16
Advanced Member

I was unaware the 1700 shocks don't house a "bladder" as it were, or an inner compartment that contains the sealed air and damping oil. I have had great luck with the stock shocks however and we do have bumpy roads here in the states, just depends on where you are. We are millions of $$ behind in road repair and crumbling infrastructure here in the U.S., with many roads and highways in severely denuded states, pot holes, etc. in dire need of repair, especially in the Midwest and eastern states.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #17

Well its been 5 days since I found the leak and haven't seen any more since. We've been out several times on it this week. I bumped the settings on the shocks up to 3 and I'm keeping the air between 20 & 25 lbs. and for those wondering I do use a hand pump with a gauge. Hopefully I haven't lost much oil as I have seen a drop here and there on the last 3 to 4 months. As recumbentbob says I'll have to keep an eye on it so see where it goes. gv550 I'm am interested in hearing more about those shocks. I sent you a PM. At this point I think I'm going to stay away from the Progressive shocks for now. Thnx for all the input.

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
There are no bladders in the stockers... I've taken two sets apart, so am very confident on that point. But they are cheaply made (Kaw takes great pride in them clearly, so they're not cheaply bought).

And there's not too much wrong with Progressive shocks if you get the right ones. It's commonly accepted that the HD (heavy duty) version is what's needed for these bikes. Works Performance steel trackers shocks are also popular upgrades.

I took my bike to this country's bike shock experts (they happen to be based where I live) and had a set of Öhlins shocks built, but if that hadn't been available to me I'd have happily gone with Progressive or Works Performance.

After much work on the stockers, they were still not much use on NZ's very rough roads. You'll probably get away with them on your nice smooth pavements in the USA.

If you were going to try getting that shock replaced under warranty, you might want to remove the lowering kit? The dealer might consider that's a change that would void the warranty on the shocks.

Hay Peg, I was just curious about what you saw inside the stockers. Is the air pressure contained on top of a piston in the cylinder and oil on the bottom side? Did you reassemble the stockers or toss them? And why did you pull them apart in the first place? Just wondering what I am going to run into.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Had to go to the dealer to get the oil leak verified. The left rear shock was leaking oil and left a puddle on the lift. I park it on the lift at night.

Out side of Kawasaki being cheap is there a reason they only change one shock on warranty but when its my dime they recommend I change both.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.