Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #16
Top Contributor

"Does the blue adapter bolt onto something under there" ?

There are brackets on the bottom of the bikes frame rails that the adapter fastens to.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Sure... just be sure to use this type... and raise the bike evenly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1100-LB-Moto...-/310917563127
I bought one of those and it's quite capable and safe enough to lift the bike high enough to get the wheel's out,but you need to run the front wheel up on a wooden block and keep the bike upright to get it underneath,it's about an inch too tall to fit under without it.That make's it difficult to use on your own because by the time you are up on the block the sidestand wont reach the ground,you need someone to put the jack in position for you.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #18

Too complicated.
I'm just going with one of these:

http://t.harborfreight.com/high-posi....google.com%2F

Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJeff View Post
Nice mac, you got it down to a science.

Does the blue adapter bolt onto something under there?

It looks like your strap goes around/under the adapter, correct or ?

I don't think I'm derailing by asking....what's the scoop on your air gauge? Do you have that tied into the shocks somehow?

Bar risers: looks like you chose to retain the stock bars. I like mine! My arms are long enough that I don't necessarily need my bars pulled back but might could dig it if they were a couple inches higher. Who makes your risers?
The bike's frame has to cast lugs with holes. That adapters comes with 2 pins. And no The strap doesn't touch the adapter ever on purpose anyway. Once the bike is u[p so far as i want I set the strap to welded d links on the lift.. Usually I have the seats off and set the strap tight, but in this case i wasn't bulling anything to swap a ft fender so I left the seat in place, and set the strap light.

Sometimes due to my age I get clumsy, and lose my balance. and i don't want to knock the Nad down and fine my body under it.

Yeah stock bars on Phat II risers. The rises don't look like the Phat II because kawi spec varies a lot and there was nothing i could do to make the risers not hit the bezel, so the top blocks were milled a little bit for clearance. it seems i am the only one who had to do that so far.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I bought one of those and it's quite capable and safe enough to lift the bike high enough to get the wheel's out,but you need to run the front wheel up on a wooden block and keep the bike upright to get it underneath,it's about an inch too tall to fit under without it.That make's it difficult to use on your own because by the time you are up on the block the sidestand wont reach the ground,you need someone to put the jack in position for you.
Yer gonna die one day with that thing not bolted to the floor. The rig i have more or less we all have can lift the bike up and then you can roll the bike any way you want. You otter take a look at my photos .I mean how are you gonna send me a box of flint, if yer dead ?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #21

I am so much the wiser now. Thanks to all for the replies. Now I need to get my hands on that Iderhoe adapter and get that jack off of craigslist, even before I throw down for highway pegs or a back rest. Must have the ability to level this beast for tire changes etc. Sure does make me appreciate the center stand on my Beemers.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Yer gonna die one day with that thing not bolted to the floor. The rig i have more or less we all have can lift the bike up and then you can roll the bike any way you want. You otter take a look at my photos .I mean how are you gonna send me a box of flint, if yer dead ?
You are right,is does need bolting down,i've got 2 ragbolt's set in the garage floor for that, with them it's a good cheap,safe jackI had a bad do with one like you've got,i borrowed it from a mate who ride's a Harley so there were no adapter's, and the bike fell off the jack and nearly killed my old man,i got a hernia getting it off of him,i am still waiting for an operation to fix it. I had a look at your photo's and your bike look's nice mate,shame it has to get ridden by such an ugly critter !

Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #23

This is slightly off topic, but I decided in the last few years that major work will be done by a shop from now on. Mostly just so I don't have a stroke AND kill a nice bike.

For the work I do at home, I mounted 6 threaded concrete anchor sleeves in the floor of my garage. 4 are for bolting down my MAXX Wheel Chock. The other two are off to the side for strapping the bars to hold the bike - ON the ground. It holds the bike upright very securely and is great for basic work where the bike doesn't need to be off the ground.

Last edited by BigRat; 05-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Sure... just be sure to use this type... and raise the bike evenly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1100-LB-Moto...-/310917563127
I am really glad you posted that link. I just ordered one.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 05-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks500 View Post
Too complicated.
I'm just going with one of these:

http://t.harborfreight.com/high-posi....google.com%2F
Oooo...never seen one f those before...neat.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #26

For a cheaper solution, i simply used two cinder blocks when i swapped out my rear wheels last week. nice and sturdy if you have the bag guards and engine guard. I was able to remove both wheels to put on some new tires. very sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blocks.jpg (77.5 KB, 35 views)

Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
You are right,is does need bolting down,i've got 2 ragbolt's set in the garage floor for that, with them it's a good cheap,safe jackI had a bad do with one like you've got,i borrowed it from a mate who ride's a Harley so there were no adapter's, and the bike fell off the jack and nearly killed my old man,i got a hernia getting it off of him,i am still waiting for an operation to fix it. I had a look at your photo's and your bike look's nice mate,shame it has to get ridden by such an ugly critter !
I like it when you tawk like that :)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
Oooo...never seen one f those before...neat.
Looks like a device for S&M to me You won't move it in a pinch with the bike up on it, where as with the Sears / HF lift you can move what ever is on it all around, but it is hour choice. I think In paid 69 bucks for my HF lift and the shipping was free.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Looks like a device for S&M to me You won't move it in a pinch with the bike up on it, where as with the Sears / HF lift you can move what ever is on it all around, but it is hour choice. I think In paid 69 bucks for my HF lift and the shipping was free.
Yeah, but it's 30 inches off the floor!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks500 View Post
Yeah, but it's 30 inches off the floor!
Could be a great lift, but I never needed 30 inches yet. It looks safe too . I am back injured and so to swap a rear tire I sit indian style on the floor and roll the rear CT on to my knees, and then use my knees to lift the CT into place.

Also standing for a few moments is all I can stand so I sit on a seat creeper for higher work, and these 30 inches would be useless for me. because the barn is also storage for machines built right here it is important to be able to move the bike on the lift if a truck to drop or take something happens before i am done.

That happened when i was doing my fork tube oil and they were layin about on cardboard. I don't always finish what i start on the same day either, as I have about the energy for 4 maybe 6 hours before my back is all done.

I can also use the lift to move assort other things like a dolly so I can use the lift for assorted other things . Just sayin.

The scissors jack IMO is not suitable to do much on the Nomads. I guess once it is bolted to the floor it can do some of the work but the turning of that tool close to the floor would make it misery for me.
This is what I have but it's yellow not black and white. Looks like the cost has increased to 89 bucks
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-61632.html 1,500 lbs

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac