Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
I respect your opinion and used it frequently when trying to pinpoint my issue, but respectfully disagree here. I found plenty that pointed to a fuel issue. The only thing pointing to a vac leak was the exterior cracks in the boot, but they did not go through to the inside. I replaced so it wouldn't be a future issue. The carb, tank, filter, and pump all had sludge in it. Like you said. Who cares? I checked all, cleaned all, and now it works great. That's what's important.
I agree with you Jason that the bike did not have a vacuum leak. If a vacuum leak was the problem the bike would have most likely run but rough.If there was hug cracks on the boot maybe bike might not start but the starvation of fuel or lack of fuel for sure was your problem as you stated and found out.
I am with Brik too on using the funnel.You might have problems trying to put fuel through that little funnel. I wouldn't want to be on my toes all the time I fuel because of the spill that might happen using the funnel....tough enough fueling as it is without spilling.But after what you went through I can understand all the precautions you would want to take from it happening again.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #17

If you want to make sure that nothing gets in to the tank other than gasoline you can carry some cheesecloth with you and wrap it around the nozzle while filling then toss it. It's available at most supermarkets for a couple of bucks. Just cut it to size and toss when done.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
If you want to make sure that nothing gets in to the tank other than gasoline you can carry some cheesecloth with you and wrap it around the nozzle while filling then toss it. It's available at most supermarkets for a couple of bucks. Just cut it to size and toss when done.
Good idea since I keep it here in the garage anyway. I just used some repairing this issue when I drained my recently replaced coolant, placed in a drain pan, then filtered w cheesecloth and put back in the radiator a couple weeks later. Thanks Neil

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)