Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #16

I have a Bell Pit Boss. Pretty decent helmet . I like the way it fits. It has an adjustment in the back to help keep it from lifting with the wind. Also comes with a flip down shield and a zip off neck collar. Only run about $ 120 shipped.

I used to wear HJC full face helmets. Nice helmets but on a hot day they suck !

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #17

I really liked my NEXL half helmet till my head changed shape and didn't fit quite right. They were the lightest DOT approved helmet back 10 yrs ago. Checked Internet and still around.

Currently have HD half helmet - with HD emblem pulled off - which I use for shorter rides. It's fine but not as light.

I use Nolan modular for most trips or with chance of bad weather. My windshield is high enough that I can bring chin bar and visor up at 80 mph without it shaking around. If sun, wind, bugs, rain, etc get bad, just lock it down in place. Very convenient to move up or down while rolling. Good air flow with vents too.
VBA #2354

Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Oh, so you have never actually OWNED a half helmet, have you? That's like asking a tea totaler what brand of bourbon tastes best.
I don't feel I need to own a half helmet to realize it does not give anywhere near the protection of a fullface helmet. Wisenhimer
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I don't feel I need to own a half helmet to realize it does not give anywhere near the protection of a fullface helmet. Wisenhimer
I'm sorry Tim, it was inconsiderate of me to question your opinion of half helmets, even though it was purely meant in jest.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #20

Scott, you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe Tim's comments were out of genuine concern for the safety of his fellow member?on second thought, that's just

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Scott, you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe Tim's comments were out of genuine concern for the safety of his fellow member?on second thought, that's just
I'm sure right right on the money Norm.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #22

I appreciate everyones input. I also received good info on staying hydrated and the effects of riding open face/no sleeves can have on causing dehydration. All good info. I have a lot to consider. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Top Contributor

You're right, Mark. I had a nice full face (modular...Scorpion EXO 900). I sold it as I have claustrophobia and can't handle a full face. I ended up with a 3/4 lid. Not quite as much protection but I can ride without shaking.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Scott, you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe Tim's comments were out of genuine concern for the safety of his fellow member?
Norm is exactly correct. I am always lookin out for the fine Gentlemen and Ladies on this forum
Scott, I have been on this forum long enough to know you are kidding and when you are serious. I knew you were kidding.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Norm is exactly correct. I am always lookin out for the fine Gentlemen and Ladies on this forum
Scott, I have been on this forum long enough to know you are kidding and when you are serious. I knew you were kidding.
Some one keeps editing my posts, your not BD's cousin or something are you Tim?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #26

Also have a Scorpion EXO 100 and a Nolan n104 modualr for interstate and rainy travel everyone has different choices thats what the world is about. A good fit no matter what you buy so that you will wear it it what matters

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #27

Jeff

Over the last 5 riding seasons I have gone full circle and may be on my trip around again.

I used to swear by full face helmets. My most recent FF was an EXO 400. Then my lack of heat tolerance and peripheral vision made me try an EXO 100. It was a good half helmet but I felt it was not enough head or hearing protection but it did provide better visibility. The EXO 100 did not improve the heat issue as much as expected (like MarkG explained). I always felt I needed ear plugs w/EXO 100 due to wind noise. I also felt the need to carry my FF on long trips in case of foul weather (hassle).

Keep in mind there are other FF helmets that have better visibility than my EXO 400.

I moved to a 3/4 (HJC CL..??) and felt that was the best of all worlds. Better hearing and head protection than the EXO 100 with better visibility than a FF. I mainly use a simple visor w/ safety sunglasses (Large DeWalt at Home Depot or Lowe's) and carry a clear face shield in case of rain or darkness. The 3/4 is also lightweight and good air flow which is good on long trips. IMHO increased visibility helps offset lack of extra chin protection. I can see and hear traffic better.

But now I am going to try a FF modular helmet (EXO 900) to see if that is the cat's meow. It can be used as a 3/4 or FF. The only concern is the extra weight. I do like the quiet "bubble" and bug protection when wearing a FF up to a certain temp (about 85).

Scorpion's seem to fit my head shape well. Like other's have said comfort is priority on long trips.

I am a bit of a hypocrite as I talk about hearing protection but still listen to music in my helmets (not in traffic).

IMHO safety is not just a chin bar, I consider visibility, hearing traffic, hearing protection, and heat protection as safety issues as well. I believe incident prevention is as important as incident protection.

Good luck in your decision.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Last edited by schoeney; 06-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #28
Top Contributor

I personally wear both 1/2 and 3/4 helmets. Like Shoeney said, there is more to safety than just having a FF on your head. I have reduced central vision in my right eye, so being able to have clear peripheral vision is of utmost importance to me. That is best served with the two helmets I use. I also get claustrophobic with FF helmets. I tried a modular one for a day and the extra weight drove me nuts...could not get it off fast enough. To each their own is what I say...and I don't think the dangers of riding a motorcycle are lost on anyone here....but everyone has to decide for themselves what their comfort, fit and personal safety needs are.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 06-05-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Jeff

Over the last 5 riding seasons I have gone full circle and may be on my trip around again.

I used to swear by full face helmets. My most recent FF was an EXO 400. Then my lack of heat tolerance and peripheral vision made me try an EXO 100. It was a good half helmet but I felt it was not enough head or hearing protection but it did provide better visibility. The EXO 100 did not improve the heat issue as much as expected (like MarkG explained). I always felt I needed ear plugs w/EXO 100 due to wind noise. I also felt the need to carry my FF on long trips in case of foul weather (hassle).

Keep in mind there are other FF helmets that have better visibility than my EXO 400.

I moved to a 3/4 (HJC CL..??) and felt that was the best of all worlds. Better hearing and head protection than the EXO 100 with better visibility than a FF. I mainly use a simple visor w/ safety sunglasses (Large DeWalt at Home Depot or Lowe's) and carry a clear face shield in case of rain or darkness. The 3/4 is also lightweight and good air flow which is good on long trips. IMHO increased visibility helps offset lack of extra chin protection. I can see and hear traffic better.

But now I am going to try a FF modular helmet (EXO 900) to see if that is the cat's meow. It can be used as a 3/4 or FF. The only concern is the extra weight. I do like the quiet "bubble" and bug protection when wearing a FF up to a certain temp (about 85).

Scorpion's seem to fit my head shape well. Like other's have said comfort is priority on long trips.

I am a bit of a hypocrite as I talk about hearing protection but still listen to music in my helmets (not in traffic).

IMHO safety is not just a chin bar, I consider visibility, hearing traffic, hearing protection, and heat protection as safety issues as well. I believe incident prevention is as important as incident protection.

Good luck in your decision.
Well stated there Greg. Helmet choice is a personal thing. Some like the FF, while some like the 3/4 and others like the 1/2 while others prefer nothing. To each their own as I say. It is your choice. Mostly I ride with a modular. I do have a 1/2 helmet for short rides to town but do also ride without a helmet but not very often. Heck, a traffic jam out here is when the cows get out on the road and everyone stops to help get them back in.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I stayed at a Howard Johnson's once?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005