Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #16

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
What's going on Ross. You ain't hung yourself have you?
I can prolly get down there Friday, but if you're hunged I don't want to waste a trip.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #17

Ok, Nomad is back together. Now has, new oil and filter, new coolant, fresh grease in swing arm bearings and end play was still good, greased the splines on drive shaft, checked universal and changed final drive oil. Did the shock mounts at the same time and put new rear tire and new rear brake pads with fresh fluid on. (Note that the Dunlop E-3 160/80x16 went 21,000 miles and was just touching the wear bars) Then changed steering head bearings and races, went to 20w fork oil and added grease to wheel bearings. Put new brake pads on front and did all new fluid also. Battery, front tire and air filter were new last fall so believe other than packing I am ready for the 8,000 mile trip out west that include seeing ya all at the National!!!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #18

After I fought with my races I borrowed a small mig welder, three little tacks to a washer and then tapped it out from the opposite side. Only wish I had started with that plan instead of fighting with it first.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #19

I found this post and some others as I plan to do the stem bearing and races this winter. I came across a similar tool in the video, http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../315-1250.aspx

I thought I would give it a try to see if it would work. Has anybody tried this

This may also seem odd but what is the easiest way to remove the front fender. I have always removed the front fender bolt and just tilted it back to roll my front wheel out. I have fender tips front and back and thought that could be an issue.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Last edited by hammer; 09-16-2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Oops

Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
I found this post and some others as I plan to do the stem bearing and races this winter. I came across a similar tool in the video, http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../315-1250.aspx

This may also seem odd but what is the easiest way to remove the front fender. I have always removed the front fender bolt and just tilted it back to roll my front wheel out. I have fender tips front and back and thought that could be an issue.
Are the bearings and races bad? If not, just grease is all you need to do. And maybe new fork oil.

I am lovin' that 20 w fork oil and the new Avon Cobra. I still need to do a new rear CT over winter, as it is on the way out, but will do for the rest of Fall. never the less my Nomad has never handled better.

If there is a better i wouldn't know of it. The bike for the first time feels like it is super glued to the road.

Now of i could just get better night vison be come 19 years old. Ummmmm get better looking, errr have MORE folding money

And or maybe less plastic body parts....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #21

I have a slight notch at dead center otherwise the steering turns freely lock to lock. I know a lot of bikes will have that slight notch so I am not really worried about it. I did re-grease the bearings last winter and felt nothing on the races at all.

I just figure while I am taking the front end apart to do forks, why not be prepared for stem bearings.

So what's the easy way to drop the front fender out without scratching anything?

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Well when you do the job, you may as well remove the brakes and then the ft wheel then the fender.

At that point I removed the gas tank. padded up the frame and engine and layed down the top tripple tree handle bar mount upside down, and then removed the head lamp and bucket, tins are around the forks, the fork tubes next, then the bearing nut and then drop the neck out so you can access the bearings and races........

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post

I saw something similar to this that someone had made out of a piece of metal conduit pipe. I couldn't remember where I found it when I did my stem bearings and races. I was able to use a drift punch but it took quite a bit of patience and sharpening the end of the punch several times. In theory this tool should work if you can get it to catch on the race.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #24

I may try it to see if it does work. A drift punch or sharpened screw driver seems to be all that the shops are using. Patience I have some of. So much for special tools.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #25

the botom one is a pain, i played around for hours making a tool that did not work and i wish i had check this before, but i had the same idea, took the mig welder one tack got colder then just a small hit and it fell to the ground amazing the best way by far to do this,

does any body have the part number for the lower oilseal, its the bearing seal for a 2000 1500fi

cheers