Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #16

lol

Who cares?

South Florida a couple months in the winter and NC the rest. I ride 12 out of 12 months.

It's 82 currently at 2:53 in the afternoon.

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Tim, I'll take your and raise it to for MAS.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Top Contributor

Never fogged the engine yet or used fuel stabilizer and my bikes have been stored for 5 months over the Canadian winters.
I change the oil before putting the bike away in an unheated shed.
I take the battery off and store it in the basement and charge it once a month.
Never had a problem starting the bike in the Spring.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #18

Winterizing my bike means it gets an extra 25 seconds idle time before I ride off.............

Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

Sorry, the devil made me do it

Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Changing the oil if it is near to or passing 2000 miles isn't a bad idea. There is sulfuric acid and other crap that eats alloy suspended in the oil at that point.

Checking the coolant is wise idea if temps where the bike will be can get to +10 and colder.

Adding stable to a full tank and running the engine long enough to know the injectors passes some stable and or that stuff that is blue which is newer and wicked good IMO, but I can't recall the name.

Cleaning the paint and letting wax turn white ain't a bad idea, but you will need to clean it in Spring.

Cleaning chrome and oiling it well ain't bad either unless you like rust.

A lot depends on where the bike is stored too.

I use my enclosed trailer because it's the best place I have, but the temp changes in there make me crazy... I will find the bike soaking wet for cold nights and warm days...

Vinyls do not like sub freezing So my seats come in. I yank the battery and bring that in the cellar too where temps are around a steady 50.

If i owned this place the bike would come in but I don't and I can't Oh Well.

Fogging a engine sure won't hurt it.... Engine fog is a mist can under pressure..

Adding plain oil isn't bad, but it isn't going to coat everything unless name you add a tea spoons worth and crank the engine over with plugs in but no wires ON the plugs....
The oil will get around the piston top and down to the rings and sooner or later run down passing the oil scrapper ring into the case.

I like to over inflate the tires and have the bike sit up straight...

I like to stuff rags in the tail pipes and in the throttle body so no rodents move in.

In theory they can't get in the trailer, but they sure do get in everything else. I set traps in the trailer but never got anything yet. I set them in my van and i do get them but, I am too stupid to figure out how they can get in????

Gotta be thru the air vent heating sys some how...

Oh yeah I leave the batt on a Shumaker auto float, anti sulfation pulse charger the whole time. and in summer too when ever i am not riding and or maybe parked some place away from hime over what ever nights....

My 06 battery still is the one that i bought with the bike... Today left off a charger for a week it still reads 12.7 dcv.... not very bad

I think that cheap charger is the very best in the world....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #21

As far as fuel stabilizers I swear by it.. I winter in Florida and summer in Mich so I store crap at both ends - one hot - one cold... however - I use 1/3 to 1/2 of the amount of recommened stabilizer in the fuel and my "stuff" starts just like you drove/rode it that morning..