Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #16

Transmission

My guess would be that the Ujoint is shot in the driveshaft. I would take a look at it just to check it and eliminate that possibility.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Transmission

Nolan
Although I have not experienced the symptons you are having, I have read about similar odd clunks and vibrations showing up on bikes with higher miles on them. One thing you might check out are the counterbalance rubbers, under the the left side cover. Chuckster 1, as well as others, have had problems with these and replacing these rubbers solved the issue. Check out this link of Chucksters. Possibly talking with him about your problem will point you in the right direction or elimate this as a possible trouble spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckst...7601233929031/

...good luck
Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #18

Transmission

UPDATE: Took the motorcycle in this morning. They thought it was the driveshaft taking a dump. Opened it up and the U-joint was in pieces. They were shocked that none of thepieces didn't get stuck on something and lock up the shaft. I'm glad it didn't lock up either. Spending time in the hospital won't have made my day. Dying would have really sucked. :'(

So sitting around in northwestern Arkansas for now. Missing those curvy roads already. :'(

Thanks eveyone for your help.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #19

Transmission

Fortunately this is a quick fix if they've got the shaft in stock. Otherwise tell them to put a u-joint in it from a Praire 400 Quad, which fits fine. I can r&r one of these including changing out the u-joint in 2 hours in my garage.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #20

Transmission

(I had to repost this from the general, Nomad topic room, just to make sure it was seen.)

Don't blame yourself for the driveshaft problem. Kawasaki has had random quality control problems with the driveshaft. I hope they figured out why, because I did the first time I took one apart: They fail to deburr the yoke bores after machining, and a burr on the inner face will cause the circlip to suck the bearing cups in too tight.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #21

Transmission

Now all of you! I want you to take those drive shafts out and check them right now! Is there a burr? Under the circlip?

Chances are that your driveshaft is gonna take a crap on you too.

This is what I'd recommend if you're not willing to take it out right now: Get a matching u-joint from the Prarie 400 quad for $25 and toss it in the saddle bag. That way you'll have one in case yours goes out in West Bumfu<k Nevada and you have to have it fixed. A driveshaft is almost $300 and they won't have it in stock. It takes 3 days (probably 5 if it happens on a Friday) and you'll be stuck there.

Any bike shop with a lift & some metric wrenches can change this u-joint in under 2 hours. (Make sure they deburr the yokes!) Most Kawasaki dealers don't know they can change it, as the parts aren't sold seperately for a Nomad. They want to sell you a $300 driveshaft to fix a $20 u-joint, Get a Honda dealer to do it. They won't know!