Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #16

I'm going to take a serious look at this option. This might be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
Check with Nightmare. His new business is High Octane Hydrographics. I bet he could fix you up if you could get the parts off easy.
If that is the same or similar to what I had done to my Mustang console, and I am pretty sure it is, I was impressed with it. I live in a very high RV industry and actually had a place close to me do it... they mostly did conversion van interiors.

Oh and I hate the cheap butt plastic piece too, just may go see if they are still in business.

Pic of Mustang console / radio bezal

VBA #01898

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #18

Thats a neat product, I wonder how durable it is, especially on the firearms.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #19

I don't know how many might have seen it, but on an episode of American Choppers they used this same process on the money bike. Take a look at the closeup of the tank.

Obviously, this isn't a real testament to the durability question, but when Victor started talking about it, I remembered seeing this on AC. In this case, they obviously would have put a clear coat over it. It was really cool watching how this worked. Essentially just a film floating in liquid and the piece just dipped in and comes out with a pattern.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 01-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4bob View Post
If that is the same or similar to what I had done to my Mustang console, and I am pretty sure it is, I was impressed with it. I live in a very high RV industry and actually had a place close to me do it... they mostly did conversion van interiors.

Oh and I hate the cheap butt plastic piece too, just may go see if they are still in business.

Pic of Mustang console / radio bezal

Bob, does the quality of the printed pattern look good. How fake does it look? I've bought "carbon fiber-look" cell phone cases before and been extremely disappointed.
-Jay

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #21

Now, I'm thinking the whole dash/inner-fairing along with the tank panel. Now I need to decide if I want to tear the bike apart to ship every thing out. decisions decisions.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
I don't know how many might have seen it, but on an episode of American Choppers they used this same process on the money bike. Take a look at the closeup of the tank.

Obviously, this isn't a real testament to the durability question, but when Victor started talking about it, I remembered seeing this on AC. In this case, they obviously would have put a clear coat over it. It was really cool watching how this worked. Essentially just a film floating in liquid and the piece just dipped in and comes out with a pattern.
I saw that episode. It is really amazing how it works.

I'm going to have to remember this for when I start customizing my bike. Once I get a fairing, I'm going to start changing it up. I could probably even use this process instead of a paint job. May be cheaper overall.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
Bob, does the quality of the printed pattern look good. How fake does it look? I've bought "carbon fiber-look" cell phone cases before and been extremely disappointed.
-Jay
Well, you definitely can tell it is fake I guess, but I am happy with it. I guess I went into it liking a different look, not so much that it was carbon fiber.... if that makes sense.

VBA #01898

Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #24

I just wanted to give this a bump, and note the replacement price of these parts if it doesn't work out. But even if you don't like the look, all you have to do is paint it flat black again. I agree, it may be worth a shot. - It's possibly the easiest, cheapest solution, and if it doesn't work, you can still pursue the other options suggested. - I may have just talked myself into it. :0)

Per BikeBandit.com
Vaquero's flat black: $133.00
Voyager chrome: $161

Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #25

Those who try this fake pattern on their bikes' plastic tank trim, keep us all posted aqnd maybe some pics, too.

I decided for now to dress up my tank area by just doing a very nice tank bra with picket that fits under the back plastic tank panel on my Vaquero.

Here is a pic from the Tank Bra Manufacturer on a red Vaquero. The bra also keeps the plastic tank strip from squeaking or rattling now. Looks good on my black Vaquero.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero
"Magia Negra"
Black is Faster

Amsoil Oil
TLC Bag Liners
PH Custom Bag Bras
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit
Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Sage Brush Leather Tank Bib
Grasshopper Drivers Backrest
Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Cee Bailey's 9" Smoked Windscreen

4 Wheels Move the Body ..... 2 Wheels Move the Soul

Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #26

Quote:
But even if you don't like the look, all you have to do is paint it flat black again. I agree, it may be worth a shot. - It's possibly the easiest, cheapest solution, and if it doesn't work, you can still pursue the other options suggested. - I may have just talked myself into it. :0)
I think I talked myself into it using the same logic. Just paint it black if I don't like how it turns out. How do I get that panel off. I took out all the allen screws. But the area at the key surround is giving me an issue. Does it just pull staight up?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessenone View Post
I think I talked myself into it using the same logic. Just paint it black if I don't like how it turns out. How do I get that panel off. I took out all the allen screws. But the area at the key surround is giving me an issue. Does it just pull staight up?
I've never tried it. I sure will this weekend though. Looking at this picture, there doesn't seem to be too many fasteners. Let me know if you find a trick before I get to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank trim.jpg (36.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by jestephens; 01-13-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: add picture

Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #28

Quote:
. Let me know if you find a trick before I get to it.
10-4 will do. Might be a day or two, Mother nature just delivered 4 degree weather. she's a bitch.

BTW. thanks for the fiche

Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #29

Today warmed up to 36F here in St Louis. I made it out to the garage and removed my tank trim. It is just 3 fasteners and the ignition trim ring holding it down.

I removed the 1 nut and 2 screws, then pulled up with both hands at the base of the nose section (directly under the ignition switch). It took a couple controlled tugs, but finally came free.
I would hate to pry the trim ring since both pieces are plastic. I'm not sure how this process will work when the plastic gets some age to it. Which may be all the more reason to get some good coatings on it. - I sent a request for quote to Nightmare's company mentioned on the first page. I can't wait to hear back!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #30

keep me posted, I'll try getting mine off tomorrow. If this turns out decent, then my whole inner fairing will be shipped to him.