Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I wish I could get an email address for the writer of that news story. I'd send her an email and give her a rider's perspective of the slanted way she worded the article.
Corrections
The Arizona Republic endeavors to correct errors fully and promptly. We encourage readers to bring mistakes to our attention. To report an error, call The Republic at 602-444-NEWS. To report an error on the Opinions pages, phone Editor of the Editorial Pages Ken Western at 602-444-8499. Or send a message to correction@arizonarepublic.com

VBA #02051
2012 NCR Rally, Savanna, IL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Rest in peace Pedro Heredia-Rodriguez. All our prayers go out to your family.

VBA#1838
Blue Knights#70718

2009 HD Ultra Classic

2010 Nomad August 2011-July2012
2008 900 Classic LT February 2009-August 2011

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendesigner View Post
Corrections
The Arizona Republic endeavors to correct errors fully and promptly. We encourage readers to bring mistakes to our attention. To report an error, call The Republic at 602-444-NEWS. To report an error on the Opinions pages, phone Editor of the Editorial Pages Ken Western at 602-444-8499. Or send a message to correction@arizonarepublic.com

I did see that, but it isn't necessarily a factual error, it's a reporter's apparent bias (or ignorance) that I'd like to address, that's why I was looking for her email address.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #19

If you send it to the news department with a link to the article or her name I'm very sure she will receive it. Doesn't hurt to have the News director read your email either.
VBA #02051
2012 NCR Rally, Savanna, IL

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I decided against a headlight modulator based on the advice of another VBA'er. He suggested others might take that as a signal that they can turn in front of me. Now that I'm going to have dual headlights, I wonder if there's anything out there that would wig-wag the 2 headlights. Kinda like a modulator for both but in opposition. I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars for one but if there was one cheap enough.......
Wig wags are only legal on emergency vehicles. At least in AZ, OR, WA, and CA, I can't speak for the rest of the country.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #21

Quote:
I wish I could get an email address for the writer of that news story. I'd send her an email and give her a rider's perspective of the slanted way she worded the article.

The rider wouldn't have "driven his motorcycle into the side of a car" if the car hadn't attempted to make a left turn in front of the motorcycle. The motorcycle hitting the car was the effect of the car driver's negligence, which was the cause of the collision.

This kind of thing just grinds my gears.
Could you please re-write this story for us. We all could use your example and start sending re-writes to our local papers and other news outlets when we see this kinds of stories. We might be able to slowly change the way they write these articles.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
markclark57 - "It's really changed the way we ride".

Could you elaborate on the changes you have made after your accident? Just interested in gaining "first hand" kowledge from a fellow rider. Thank You....
• We added light bars and Stebel horns to both bikes
• We both ride with "thumb ready" for the horn button
• We sound the horns if even suspicious of danger
• If one sounds the horn both of us do
• We slow down at "blind" intersections even if we have a green light

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Mega-Contributor

I decided I had nothing to lose and wrote an email to the corrections link posted by JenDesigner. We'll see if I get any response.

Here's the email I sent:

As a longtime motorcycle enthusiast, I'd like to point out a problem with a particular story I read on azcentral.com. The title of the story is "Glendale Man Dies In Motorcycle Crash" by Liz Kotalik. In the story, she states "Pedro Heredia-Rodriguez drove his motorcycle into the side of a car on Tuesday evening...". While that may be the outcome, it appears lost on the writer that this end result only occurred because the driver of the automobile the victim struck was negligent in attempting to make a left turn in front of the motorcycle (also stated in the story), violating the motorcyclist's right-of-way. A motorcyclist is not some kamikaze pilot looking to destroy a larger, heavier object. I realize this sounds like I'm nit-picking, but one of the major causes of injury and death to motorcyclists are right-of-way violations by other motorists. This is a very serious problem, and motorists get away with a failure to yield citation rather than a negligent collision or negligent manslaughter charge. The motorcycle community is tired of the old excuse "I didn't see the motorcycle", and stories written like this, either through the writer's bias against motorcycles or ignorance of how motorcycle crashes occur, make it appear that the motorcyclist was at fault.
Yes, riding a motorcycle comes with risk, and we as motorcycle enthusiasts accept that. However, all too many lives are lost or changed forever because of motorists who are negligent, not because of the actions of the motorcyclist. Simply re-wording that story to show the motorcyclist as the victim he truly was, rather than the cause of the collision might help make the public more aware of their responsibility to be more aware of their surroundings. Who knows, it could save a life.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #24

Quote:
I decided I had nothing to lose and wrote an email to the corrections link posted by JenDesigner. We'll see if I get any response.

Here's the email I sent:

As a longtime motorcycle enthusiast, I'd like to point out a problem with a particular story I read on azcentral.com. The title of the story is "Glendale Man Dies In Motorcycle Crash" by Liz Kotalik. In the story, she states "Pedro Heredia-Rodriguez drove his motorcycle into the side of a car on Tuesday evening...". While that may be the outcome, it appears lost on the writer that this end result only occurred because the driver of the automobile the victim struck was negligent in attempting to make a left turn in front of the motorcycle (also stated in the story), violating the motorcyclist's right-of-way. A motorcyclist is not some kamikaze pilot looking to destroy a larger, heavier object. I realize this sounds like I'm nit-picking, but one of the major causes of injury and death to motorcyclists are right-of-way violations by other motorists. This is a very serious problem, and motorists get away with a failure to yield citation rather than a negligent collision or negligent manslaughter charge. The motorcycle community is tired of the old excuse "I didn't see the motorcycle", and stories written like this, either through the writer's bias against motorcycles or ignorance of how motorcycle crashes occur, make it appear that the motorcyclist was at fault.
Yes, riding a motorcycle comes with risk, and we as motorcycle enthusiasts accept that. However, all too many lives are lost or changed forever because of motorists who are negligent, not because of the actions of the motorcyclist. Simply re-wording that story to show the motorcyclist as the victim he truly was, rather than the cause of the collision might help make the public more aware of their responsibility to be more aware of their surroundings. Who knows, it could save a life.
Good letter Scott. We're all interested in what type of response it will draw.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #25

Very good Scott, please keep us informed as to the response, if any.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #26

There was a guy killed here the same way last summer. I woman made a left turn to go into her driveway,the bike T-boned the car. She was charged by police and he was less than a mile from home on a secondary road. It happens so quickly. I always obey speed limits ,use the 2 sec. rule when following vechiles,and would never ride without a helmet. Several years ago my daughter-inlaw left her 90cc scooter in the garage. I had to move it to get the 1500 out. When sitting on it I was giving it a little gas and decided to take it for a short ride in the driveway. I was going less than 1 mile per hour,put the front brake on. It slid it the gravel, the front wheel jacked knifed and through me off. No helmet on, I had a concussion and a broken collar bone along with some gravel rash. My summer riding was done and I was off work for 10 weeks. I had it erased from the security tape at the house so it wouldn't end up on u-tube lol. My friends will not let me live it down. It just goes to show how easily it can happen.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmurphy View Post
I had it erased from the security tape at the house so it wouldn't end up on u-tube
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmurphy View Post
Several years ago my daughter-in-law had her scooter in the garage. I was feeling frisky and decided to take it for a short ride. I wheelied out of the garage and it threw me off. No helmet on, I had a concussion and a broken collar bone along with some gravel rash. My summer riding was done and I was off work for 10 weeks. I had it erased from the security tape at the house so it wouldn't end up on you-tube lol. My friends will not let me live it down.
You could have sent it to America's Funniest, top prize is 100K$!!!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Last edited by Loafer; 01-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #29

Good letter Scott. If you get no response I wonder if sending it to letters to the editor would get it printed in the paper.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #30

I installed a modulator for both brake and head lights. I know some say that the head light modulator might be mis-interpreted to a car coming head on as a signal to turn. That may be true just like wearing a seat belt will some times kill you is also true. However, I believe the odds are in my favor with both.