Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Hypercharger versus Chucksters Dual Plate Intake

Hacksaw how is the rest of the bike set up? There is no point, unless you have a after market exhaust and a fuel modual.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
My bet is he made it. Look over his bike hard and you will find a lot of parts he made. Luvered covers, ft axel hole plugs, holed brakets, saddle bag racks, the solo seat rack, and more I see in his pics at times.

Canuks have a long dark winter, too long it seems.......
:'(
And again Mac is correct! It's a k/n filter for stock dogbowl, then I made a backing plate similiar to what chuckster makes and the front plate matches the backing plate. Instead of a center bolt, I came up with the four side mounts in brass....just something different. I wanted to show the most amount of engine and also get the most amount of air too. :)

Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Hacksaw how is the rest of the bike set up? There is no point, unless you have a after market exhaust and a fuel modual.
Mac,
It has Vance and Hines Dual Baggers with unwrapped shortened baffles and Dobeck TFI

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
Quote:
Mac,
It has Vance and Hines Dual Baggers with unwrapped shortened baffles and Dobeck TFI
I didn't know that. Oh Boy are you going to be in for a surprize.

If you need to know about what gets gone away, and the like, ISC's the Medusa head, capping off these things, cutting out the air box, and that like let me know. At least you won't have to block off the oem backing plate.

Bdog I got a chrystal ball, just cracked a little bit

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw

Mac,
I didn't know that. Oh Boy are you going to be in for a surprize.

If you need to know about what gets gone away, and the like, ISC's the Medusa head, capping off these things, cutting out the air box, and that like let me know. At least you won't have to block off the oem backing plate.

Bdog I got a chrystal ball, just cracked a little bit

I've got the coaster plates from Chuckster, haven't installed them yet, gonna do both at the same time....any help/advice is sure appreciated.

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Good, the medusa head is a vac pod controll under the tank, and it runs the reed v alves the coasters replace. May as well get it off, since it won't be working. You take it and the hoses, all of them Except the smallest, which gets caped off tight, like air tight, Just bundle that with the wiring harness.
If you wanted to get fancy you could floow that smallest tubing to the throttle body and pull it off there, and cap the brass port, b ut BEFORE you do make sure you can reach that brass port with long needle nose pliers. That little port is in a hellova place to reach.

The ISC's will be going away, but I don't know which Chuckster backing plate you are getting.

He makes one style that the steep tubings to the ISC's will pass thru and you simply cap off these tubingings with plastic caps air tight. He makes another style where you remove the steel tubings, and cap them off farther back.

The ISC's have a short rubber tubing, going to steel tubing, going to rubber tubing again and to the intake manilfold. At one place or another the intake manifold must be capped off air tight.

It's a real good idea to check the caps once or more times each year, since they fail from heat just like any tubing will.

The best place IMO to cut the air box cross over pipe. tube is just behing t he lugs for the screws to the oem left side backing plate. Use a dremel with a whizz wheel if you have one.
If you cut it there, one day if ever you could plastic weld it back.

Next with the right side oem backing plate removed, the black air cross over pipe will be loose, but is tuff to drive out. I used a dowel and a soft faced hammer to drove that b ugger out. Go easy, but you will punch that tubing out and like it.

If this is a california bike SAY SO first. A cali bike will have more vac lines to deal with. If it IS a cali bike ther will be a carbon canister under the locking left side cover, in the velcro strap. Chances are you have the strap but no canister. I use that strap to hold a ice pick test light and tire plug tools. It's handy I guess.

While your at it, and the tank is off check the wire harness at rear #2 cly where it turns down. There it is tied by nylocks to the frame. These nylocks have a release tab in the lock if you look close. I discovered that after cutting mine off. It just makes sence to see if your harness is chaffinf against the frame, so you do have to pull the harness up and look at the frame contact side.

OT: Just so you know the 16's don't have a friggin g asket between the paint and the lic plate holder, at the paint on the fender. That irritates the hell out of me. I discovered that too late and the paint was cracked, and water had gone under the paint. Not good.

I sealed the crack with clean finger nail polish, added a good thick coating of car wax and left it. Made a gasket and laid my plate down. No more water will get in there now, but I sure wondered about the bean counter who cheaped out on that gasket.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #22

Joe's single plate came this morning, I already had the coaster plates and I went right to it, took my time and it was pretty straightforward with all I've read. Upon firing it up the first thing I noticed was that annoying klunk klunk was gone...that's pretty sweet :)

Took about a 5 mile test ride and all i can say is WOW what a difference! Opening the throttle I can hear it sucking in the fresh air and it's much more responsive. A little tweaking on the TFI this weekend and I'll be all set.

Harley Ultra Classic
VBA# 01712
VROC# 37712

Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #24

Just a little back up on the wet rides. I have ridden in near Zero visibility driving rain (unexpected) splashing through standing water as deep as 6" with the single plate system and didn't have a problem. The K&N breaths just fine when wet.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57
Just a little back up on the wet rides. I have ridden in near Zero visibility driving rain (unexpected) splashing through standing water as deep as 6" with the single plate system and didn't have a problem. The K&N breaths just fine when wet.
That's good to know, thanks.
Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"