Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #16

FINALLY Heading To The Keys!

Watch out for the "no see 'ums"!!!!!!!!! They're sorta like very tiny gnats, so small you " no see 'um" Their bite shows up a day or two later, itch like crazy and lasts for about a week. Be sure to use repellent in the mornings and evenings Be sure to visit some of the old bridges, Seven Mile. and Bahia Honda. These are my old fishin 'grounds. Was down that way a few years ago, great memories. Oh yeah, stop by Margarita-ville and have a cold one (ortwo)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47
Watch out for the "no see 'ums"!!!!!!!!! They're sorta like very tiny gnats, so small you " no see 'um" Their bite shows up a day or two later, itch like crazy and lasts for about a week. Be sure to use repellent in the mornings and evenings Be sure to visit some of the old bridges, Seven Mile. and Bahia Honda. These are my old fishin 'grounds. Was down that way a few years ago, great memories. Oh yeah, stop by Margarita-ville and have a cold one (ortwo)
WHEW! Thank you for the warning on the "no see 'um" bugs!!! We'll be sure to use repellent.
Glad you gave me some nice suggestions of things to see!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriAnn
We have talked about this for a few years, but we are FINALLY taking our bike trip to the Florida Keys!!! Dates are set and reservations are made! Here are our basic plans:

April 30 - Hit the road!
May 1 - Stop in Darien, GA
May 2 - Head to Hollywood Beach, FL
May 3 - 4 - Spend a few days in Hollywood Beach, FL
May 5 - Head to Key West, FL
May 6 - 7 - Stay in Key West a few days
May 8 - Head back, taking our time and sight seeing!

So, are there any recommendations of what to see on the way back?
We want to see Alligator Alley/Everglades (Worth seeing?)
A co-worker recommended stopping at Alabama Jack's
There may be some confusion between Alligator Alley and Tamiami Trail. Alligator Alley is in fact I-75 from Ft Lauderdale to Naples. Tamiami Trail is US-41 the southern most east west road crossing Florida.

Tamiami Trail is well worth your time. There is a deep canal along the north side (your right side heading west). You will see some of the biggest alligators Florida has to offer. I was motorcycle camping down in the area two weeks ago and the banks were lined with big gators warming in the sun.

Everglades National Park is another area worth visiting. It is 35 miles from the beginning of the park, to the southern most point at Flamingo. If you arrive there at low tide(Flamingo), the big crocodiles can be seen basking in the sun. You will see them were the lock opens for small boat traffic enters into the swamp. Remember, there is no fuel available within the park.

Note: Gators will stay in the water until the sun is high enough for them to warm up on land. Time your travels with this in mind.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriAnn
We have talked about this for a few years, but we are FINALLY taking our bike trip to the Florida Keys!!! Dates are set and reservations are made! Here are our basic plans:

April 30 - Hit the road!
May 1 - Stop in Darien, GA
May 2 - Head to Hollywood Beach, FL
May 3 - 4 - Spend a few days in Hollywood Beach, FL
May 5 - Head to Key West, FL
May 6 - 7 - Stay in Key West a few days
May 8 - Head back, taking our time and sight seeing!

So, are there any recommendations of what to see on the way back?
We want to see Alligator Alley/Everglades (Worth seeing?)
A co-worker recommended stopping at Alabama Jack's
There may be some confusion between Alligator Alley and Tamiami Trail. Alligator Alley is in fact I-75 from Ft Lauderdale to Naples. Tamiami Trail is US-41 the southern most east west road crossing Florida.

Tamiami Trail is well worth your time. There is a deep canal along the north side (your right side heading west). You will see some of the biggest alligators Florida has to offer. I was motorcycle camping down in the area two weeks ago and the banks were lined with big gators warming in the sun.

Everglades National Park is another area worth visiting. It is 35 miles from the beginning of the park, to the southern most point at Flamingo. If you arrive there at low tide(Flamingo), the big crocodiles can be seen basking in the sun. You will see them were the lock opens for small boat traffic enters into the swamp. Remember, there is no fuel available within the park.

Note: Gators will stay in the water until the sun is high enough for them to warm up on land. Time your travels with this in mind.

Thank you SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #20

I was just out to Flamingo early Friday morning (2 AM) a coule weeks ago on the Gator 1000 IBA ride. Whatever you do, don't ride out in the dark. It is 45 miles of riding in a tunnel, got a little stir crazy cause you can't go over about 40 (posted 35). Road is ok and the visitor center area is pretty sizeable. I suspect it is a pretty ride in the day time though ;)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #21

If you go thru the 'Glades, think about an Air Boat ride. I made the trip from Miami to Naples many times back in the early '60's when things were much else developed and wilder!!! I forgot to suggest as you stand on one of the "old' bridges crossing the Keys, imagine standing on that oh so small curb, fishing. Think about how close you'd be to the traffic whizzing by at 50-60 MPH . ahhhh, the good ole days!!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachA
I was just out to Flamingo early Friday morning (2 AM) a coule weeks ago on the Gator 1000 IBA ride. Whatever you do, don't ride out in the dark. It is 45 miles of riding in a tunnel, got a little stir crazy cause you can't go over about 40 (posted 35). Road is ok and the visitor center area is pretty sizeable. I suspect it is a pretty ride in the day time though ;)
Excellent tip for us!!! Thank you!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47
If you go thru the 'Glades, think about an Air Boat ride. I made the trip from Miami to Naples many times back in the early '60's when things were much else developed and wilder!!! I forgot to suggest as you stand on one of the "old' bridges crossing the Keys, imagine standing on that oh so small curb, fishing. Think about how close you'd be to the traffic whizzing by at 50-60 MPH . ahhhh, the good ole days!!
It's funny you mention the airboat ride, Chaz was just telling me yesterday that he would love to try that while we're there!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #24

While in Key West... check out these places:

1) Hog's Breath Saloon - 400 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040
2) Sloppy Joe's Bar - 201 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040
3) Margaritaville - 500 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040

A MUST DO - Sunset cruise on an old Schooner ship - It was the best thing I did while I was there. It was about $60/person... sail for 2 hours during the sunset... drinks and snacks are provided. I sailed on a ship called "America". Not sure if it's still there, but there will be others that do the same deal.

Another thing to do if you have the time - Dry Tortugas National Park! This is a full day tour. You take a Catamaran ride out into the Gulf (90 minute ride) and tour an old historic fort out in the middle of the Gulf. This was probably the second best thing I did while there. http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/dr...gas-ferry.html

I'm trying to think of anything else... snorkeling is always fun, I did that for 3 or 4 days. You'll enjoy the drive down through the Keys. WATCH YOUR SPEED!! They speed limit varies on each island from 35 to 55 and the cops do monitor the roads very closely.

I was there for 8 days in '04. A girl I dated back then had a family house on Big Pine Key, and her dad would go once a month. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

P.S. - Not sure of the price about the sunset cruise. That was back in '04, so I'm sure it's went up since then. Just checked the Dry Tortugas day trip price and it went up about $50 since I was there.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #25

Mo has some great suggestions. If you're into skin/scuba diving there's John Pennekamp (sp.?) State Park. Don't forget to get a pic at the southern most point in the US!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #26

Thank you SO MUCH Mo!!!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #27

I just made a ride during Bikeweek from Daytona to Key West. We only stayed 2 nights and one day in Key West, so really didn't do much other than eat at some restaurants. We asked the locals if we should cruise Aligator Alley, and they all said forget it that there was really nothing to see. Anyway, we bypassed it, and I don't feel like a lost or missed anything. The best part of the trip was just riding through all the keys on the bridges. I would say STOP along the way through the keys and take breaks, pics, etc. I didn't and now regret it. Have fun!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude
I just made a ride during Bikeweek from Daytona to Key West. We only stayed 2 nights and one day in Key West, so really didn't do much other than eat at some restaurants. We asked the locals if we should cruise Aligator Alley, and they all said forget it that there was really nothing to see. Anyway, we bypassed it, and I don't feel like a lost or missed anything. The best part of the trip was just riding through all the keys on the bridges. I would say STOP along the way through the keys and take breaks, pics, etc. I didn't and now regret it. Have fun!
Thank you! I was just telling Chaz this morning that maybe we should just skip Alligator Alley. You're not the first to tell us (even in this thread) that it may not be worth seeing.

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
While in Key West... check out these places:

1) Hog's Breath Saloon - 400 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040
2) Sloppy Joe's Bar - 201 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040
3) Margaritaville - 500 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040

A MUST DO - Sunset cruise on an old Schooner ship - It was the best thing I did while I was there. It was about $60/person... sail for 2 hours during the sunset... drinks and snacks are provided. I sailed on a ship called "America". Not sure if it's still there, but there will be others that do the same deal.

Another thing to do if you have the time - Dry Tortugas National Park! This is a full day tour. You take a Catamaran ride out into the Gulf (90 minute ride) and tour an old historic fort out in the middle of the Gulf. This was probably the second best thing I did while there. http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/dr...gas-ferry.html

I'm trying to think of anything else... snorkeling is always fun, I did that for 3 or 4 days. You'll enjoy the drive down through the Keys. WATCH YOUR SPEED!! They speed limit varies on each island from 35 to 55 and the cops do monitor the roads very closely.

I was there for 8 days in '04. A girl I dated back then had a family house on Big Pine Key, and her dad would go once a month. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

P.S. - Not sure of the price about the sunset cruise. That was back in '04, so I'm sure it's went up since then. Just checked the Dry Tortugas day trip price and it went up about $50 since I was there.
Thank you again Mo! I have printed this out and talked to Chaz about it. The sunset cruise on the Schooner Ship is now on our "To Do' list! ;)

I can't thank everybody enough!!! Tips from people that have been there are ALWAYS helpful! I'm getting so excited now! Chaz and I went clothes shopping last weekend, I got my teeth cleaned at the dentist earlier this week and I'm getting my hair cut and styled this Friday. Chaz changed the oil in our bikes and even got himself some new tires! We're just waiting for the time to roll!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #30

YAY!! I'm glad I could help. You won't be disappointed in the sunset cruise! I'm jealous that you're going. My only wish about going down there now, is doing it your way and riding the bike down there. That will be an exciting trip for sure! You'll have to fill us in when you get back and show some pictures. Be careful and have a blast!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday