Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #16

What's your reason for riding?

ill give same answer as op

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #17

Blown Dodge, didn't you say that you like riding because it's too hard to find parking for the truck? :)

Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #18

Relieves stress...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #19

Keeps me out of trouble, most of the time. :)
VBA #146

Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
Top Contributor

+1 to Dan and OP answers sums it up best. Its therapeutic for my soul and I enjoy operating a mechanical device that takes a high level of skill to do and do well. :-)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Nuthin else in the 20th and 12st century is worth my doing, when it comes to good time spent, and or travel..

You can't meet people in a cage. Cars these days just suck, and all look the same.. One little bubble car after the next.

I get to meet and chat up folks that wouldn't happen in a cage..

My other world is 200 years behind now. Those folks most often live far away.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
Top Contributor

I was hooked on motorcycles before I was 16 and old enough to get my licence.
The transition from a bicycle that was hard work to a Honda 50 was pure freedom. In my youth it was the freedom and the thrill of speed and setting up a bike up for a corner at full throttle that was my adrenalin rush. Problem was the next size bigger bike was only good for a while and then it had to have more CC's and on and on it went until I was riding a 900 Z1 at full throttle everywhere I went. Today and 20+ bikes later I still get a rush putting on the gear and heading out for a day on the Nomad, the further the better. These days I dont go fast and stick to the speed limit most of the time. As you get older you get a better appreciation for the ride itself and the chance to unwind and leave lifes stresses behind. Its not about the speed or posing going down the High Street blipping the throttle to attract attention anymore. These days give me a day over 60f, a full tank of gas and I am out on the bike, loving life and getting my kicks watching the miles go by.

Biking is in your blood forever once you get bitten !

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damark115

Seriously, I love the mechanical aspect and being part of the equation. I love a stick shift vehicle.
I've always liked bikes-- peddle and motor. The motorcycle was my breakthrough into the mechanical--always liked taking stuff apart. It was the putting things back together that was the trouble area.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was the book that got me into troubleshooting (start by understanding what and why things are happening) and fixing things. When my first big bike -- a Triumph -- started up after I had removed disassembled all the way down to the pistons, it was one of the great feelings of my life.

"It's freedom, man."

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #24

I always knew I'd have a motorcycle one day. Growing up we rode our bicycles everywhere as kids. In the summer it was nothing to get up, eat a bowl of cereal and call out to Mom that I was going to ride over to a friends. We'd ride all over town and surrounding areas until we got hungry. We ate baloney or PB&J at whose ever house we ended up at for lunch, and then later in the day somebodys Mom would tell us it was time to head home for supper. Often I wouldn't return home until the streetlights came on.

I pleaded with my folks for a Minibike, then when a little older a moped with always the same answer. My Dad told me when I moved out I could do what ever I wanted, so I graduated, moved out and bought a bike and have riden ever since. For the first 15 + years I rode alone, mostly because none of my friends had motorcycles. I like the freedom to just explore and roam, no destination, just the adventure to see where "that road" goes.

When driving in the car I usually have a destination. When on the bike a rarely do. I love the smells of the countryside, you never smell them in a car. I like feel of the wind, and the way temperature drops when you ride from sunn shine into shadows. I like to wave at other bikes, you never wave at other cars. I like to modify, personalize and work on my bikes. I have never been able to afford a new one, but have often gotten a deal and been able to fix it up and sell it for a gain.

I like to be known as a "biker", but I'm not defined by the label. I ride in all weather, but prefer warmer and dryer. I ride any time of day, but prefer daylight. I like to ride with others, but if no one else can go I head off myself. I'll join a poker run if it is for a good cause, but riding in a pack on a route is not my ideal day. I like to be joined by my wife, but also enjoy the solitude.

In another life and era, I like to imagine I was perhaps a pony express rider, or an explorer or mountian man. Today life is too planned and perdictable. Riding a bike stirs some primitive string in my heart and loins. I'd be happy on an old CB750, but am thrilled with my current 1600 Nomad.

In short riding is simply part of who I am. Everything else I do is to ensure that I have the time and means to ride.

My $.02
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #25

I ride a Nomad so I can be a member of this forum.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #26

You can express the feeling of riding manyways. But i think its best said , That it keeps you in the moment? Living the Now!! Not thinking about the furture or yesterday.... NOW!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
Advanced Member

I have spent more than 20 years working in the great outdoors land surveying. During that time I have used Argos, 4 X 4s, 4 Tracks, Quads, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, horses, small fixed wings and over 2000 hours in helicopters to do my job. For the last 13 years I have come out of the field and work in the office, the bike allows me to to still enjoy the senses that are most effected by being close to your environment be that good or bad. I can still capture some of the best times I spent in the field on my bike - cold, heat, brisk winds, bugs, and getting into and out of predicaments that you have to solve on your own. On top of that, I have a lot of friends that ride and we have some wonderful times together be it on a day trip or two weeks. I could go on and on why I ride but you guys would all be falling asleep.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #28

All of the above and......It just feels sssoooooo good!

Met my wife as a result of riding. Best move I ever made.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
Advanced Member

I don't ride because I have to or I'm trying to prove something. I ride because it's what I've been wanting to do for a long, long time. And I have always known it's about the most dangerous things a person could do. But ya know? When I get on my bike I relax, I actually thing my heart rate slows down, I feel completely safe. And I love making new friends and it's opened lots of new doors already. There's a whole new group of folks out there that I can relate to. And I'm sure they're doing it for the same reasons I am. Jamie

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #30

I love to ride it sure beats walking but I think these days it is the fine folks I meet on the bike.