Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
winterize

Just the thought makes me cold Shoeney!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #17

winterize

1) Put on bar "chaps"/ air dam.
2) take seat beads in house
3) change to full face helmet
4) wear heavy leather jacket
5) keep neck warmer and tourmaster gauntlets in saddle bags
6)start and ride once a week

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #18

winterize

My process is much simpler.

1. Clean off all bugs. Bug guts can pit chrome and tarnish paint if left too long.
2. fill gas tank and add fuel stabilizer
3. put in shed
4. battery tender - I used to remove the battery and put it in the house

I prefer to do all the oil changing and that in the spring. The temps swing wildly over the winter months here so I prefer that any condensation that could develop in the engine gets washed out with a spring oil change.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #19

winterize

Check this out from Gadjet http://www.gadgetjq.com/winterprep.htm

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
Advanced Member

winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by just call me Mr. Hibbs
Check this out from Gadjet http://www.gadgetjq.com/winterprep.htm
Didn't see this before but as usual Gadget covers the topic nicely. I have been tempted many times to take my bike out on a nice day but know that all the work I did to get it ready for the winter will become undone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
Top Contributor

winterize

I put mine away for the winter today. Removed the battery.
Washed the bike and cleaned all the bugs off. Dried it thoroughly. Waxed the paintwork. Put it in the shed. Put a lock on the front wheel through the forks. Put on the bike cover. Covered that with a tarp. Locked the shed for what will be probably be 6 months. Bwaaaaaah.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Advanced Member

winterize

I feel for you fellas.....I really do.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #23

winterize

i never really store a bike for winter even here in wyoming.we had two feet of snow this past weekend.i ride once or twice
per month even in winter on the nicer days.i do add stabil and keep the bike on a battery tender.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #24

winterize

Tough guys ride all year-round -- even if it's cold.

I am NOT a tough guy... the bike is down for the winter with most all of the preps mentioned done.

I would mention that it is not good to start your bike occasionally throughout the winter UNLESS you intend to let it get to full temperature for a reasonably long period of time -- and that means an hour at minimum.

Not doing so will cause moisture build-up in the fluids which can be corrosive -- which equals damage you don't see -- but eventually will endure if you own the bike for any length of time.

For those that ride somewhat consistantly during the cold months enough to get the bike "hot" won't have quite the same problem as those that only occasionally go out and start their bikes to see if it still runs.

My manual is specific in mentioning this issue.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
winterize

If I were going to park my bike for an extended period of time I would just shoot myself.

Only kidding, I plan on riding most days during our winter unless it is raining.

If I were to park one I would take the spark plugs out and add some oil in each one then put the plug back in. Read in storing for winter this is a good thing to do.

I went to Korea for a year and left my Goldwing parked at my Dad's. When I came back and charged the battery it was locked up. The only way I could get it started was by pulling it and then oil started running out the tailpipes. I didn't prepare the bike for storage and paid the price. Of course I was lots younger and dumber then.

This might be a time to use some Sea Foam or other product of your choice in the gas tank and the crankcase and start it once or twice a week. This would dissapate any moisture that might build up in the engine. Just a thought.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #26

winterize

Man, this is when I really love the South!! GA summers are killer but riding in the winter is no prob. I think even living up north I would have to ride weekly. I just dont feel the same when Im not riding. I my thoughts are with you all :)

Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #27

winterize

I ride right up untill they salt the roads here, then I wash and park the bike. If its close to oil changing time I will change it, if its just been done recently I leave it in. I add Seafoam to the fuel tank and put the battery on charge for a couple hours every three or four weeks. Thats it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

winterize

1st salt and my bike goes in fer winta'.... So far I have never seen a rider at -40 below.

The bike sleeps in an enclosed trailer, so I bring the battery and all vinals inside, and the battery kives on a 1.5amp charger that has sulfation pulse.. (new 19 and change Shumaker!)

I clean and wax everything, fog the internal engine, and stuff rags in the intake and exhaust to keep any varmints out.

Starting a bike once a week is no favors. That just makes water in the oil, and that in turn becomes sulfuic acid.

I jack up the bike a little and block the suspention, but the tires touch the floor.

Once a week I go check things since condensation is still taking place, and may try to insulate the trailer so the temp changes are slower.

I don't shovel walkways, as thats what snoe shoes are for, but I will shovel off the roof and windows..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #29
Advanced Member

winterize

damn mac it would be a lot less work to just move

Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #30
Advanced Member

winterize

WOW! What a lot of work. Are we nuts or is every else? We park the Nomads in the unheated garage , take out the key, and walk away. One battery is 9 years old, the other 7 (no battery tender, no trickle charger) and in the spring we change oil, hit the starter, and away we go.