Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #16

No more Dyna Beads for me

The combination of the beads and a wheel-balancing weight is more than likely the problem.

The beads were not allowed to seat themselves in any low-spot since you balanced the tire; thus they tumbled around far more than needed -- and in fact were rendered mostly useless.

Not sure why you did that. The direction specifically state not to for the very reason I just described.

No offense intended here Watchman; but I would be a bit hesitant to blame the beads in this case.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #17

Hundreds if not thousands of success stories using them as per directed, and one story of suspected damage, but installed incorrectly (using both wheel weights and Dyna Beads). I am sorry and please take no offense, but not convincing enough for me to remove mine, then again, I am a Darksider already, I already live on the edge.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Concerning these specific tires the serial numbers should be recorded and the date codes as well, and I am curious about the date code myself.

Anything is possible, and that could be anything from that tire to that brand and or that run, which is where the serial number come into play.

Scoring rubber inside a tires probably isn't good, but seeing belt material would be very bad.

I would like to see a few pics on this, as I am concerned for my safety and anyone elses.

I am left wondering. Maybe this fall I will tear down my Dunlop Sport 5000 and have a look.

As to the speed needed to peg these beads into place it shouldn't be very much as the beads are light weight.

Probably as children we all swung a bucket of water in a circle in part over our heads and didn't spill any water. I don't beleive a light object would be harder to stay in a place than water.

I did appreciate the comments on flash and wonder if that could be a part too.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Your absolutely correct IMO mac. That water in the bucket was a darn tootin' good example. Those beads once the tire is moving never tumble due to the centrifugal force. The centrifugal force will force them outward to the lowest spot in the tire but if there was no low spot and the tire was perfectly balanced they would just be stuck against the inside of the carcase.

Look at a amusement park ride for example. The one that has people standing next to each other in a round wheel and it starts to spin then go vertical? They aren't "tumblin'" around. They are held in place by centrifugal force rather easily and that wheel is spinning much slower than our tires.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Like I commented, I think it because the tires were first balnced and then Dyna beads were added, did I already say this. oh OK. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #21

Another way of thinking is you are talking about 1 milimeter sized (guessing here) beads, with a total weight of as in my tire 2 oz rolling around being heald in place by gravity, as aposed to say, the tread of the tire, the friction of said tire on the ground, and the weight of you and the bike. I think the outside is going to wear out a lot faster. My bike rides great. I added the beads the way the instructions said, and I am confident that they will continue to do there job as described. Hey, this is my 100th post. Should have posted a picture or something........ here is Isaiah for my 100th post.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #22

Guess we all have opinions and I am glad we share and can learn from them. I am even more pleased that we don't feel the need to agree or argue over them. Thats more important than the beads.

So far, I like the beads. But I am on notice that there could be a problem, especially if I add them to a balanced tire.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #23

Mac;

The water comparison is good; however there remains a difference which is that the water is contained with the sides of the bucket thus helping give the body of water momentum -- thus the ability to remain in place within the bucket. In addition; if you don't swing that bucket at the proper speed you'll see some "slopping-around" of the water.

When you are talking about round beads that are not retained in place -- but rather allowed to roll freely within the tire -- you would expect the beads to tumble somewhat until the tire was spinning at the critical speed to keep them "pinned-down" to the tire by force -- in other words "slopping-around".

Until the tire reaches a speed that pins the beads to the outer walls, the beads are likely going to tumble a bit more than normal just prior to that critical speed since their isn't a "low-spot" for them to settle into (the low-spot being much like the walls of the bucket).

Also; since the beads are round -- bumps and other such movement might interfere with the centrifugal-forces temporarily -- thus making the beads tumble again until they re-seat themselves.

Having said that... I would be interested in the tire information also as there could be a problem specific to that tire; or tire-run; and etc. as well.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #24

Gls' explanation sounds logical to me. I haven't yet tried this product but might next season when I purchase new tires.
I would still be curious to hear the manufacturers' take on this tire dust phenomenon.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #25

I have the beads in my front and rear tires. On the 3,000 mile trip we just returned from I thought I had a vibration problem with the front tire. It felt like it was out of round at 60 mph and faster.
My question, on a tire balanced with wheel weights you can get it off the ground and give it a spin and it should stop in a different place each time.
If you do the same with the beads, will it stop in the same place each time or will the beads have no effect because the tire is not spinning fast enough to balance itself.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #26

damn with all the eggheads we got as members here ain't there one physics prof?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #27
Mega-Contributor

I had about 9,000 miles on my rear Avon Cobra when I had to replace it recently due to picking a nail up in the center of the tread. The tire was balanced with Dyna Beads. I looked inside the tire after it was removed to see what the beads looked like after 9,000 miles and didn't see anything I would consider unusual or abnormal.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Watchman: ALL experiences should be shared! Even if it leaves some of us scratching our heads trying to figure out "How?" No one dis-believes your experiences with the beads. Guys that use them are trying to look for a pattern that they can monitor.

Some guys bikes ping like crazy and some never ping. Doesn't mean we all need a fuel processor but some of us have real bad experiences with engine heat and pinging.

All input is good.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
VBA Founder

+1 on BD's comments, Watchman.....I'd rather you mention your experiences than keep quiet.

That's what KawaNOW is all about.....sharing information about the Nomad.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #30

Jim, you impressed me as a pretty sharp guy in Custer. I really want to hear when you have a good or bad experience with a product! I'll make up my own mind but I will and do really appreciate hearing what you (and others) think.
Innovative Balancing is the producer/supplier of Dyna Beads. I went to their web site and read their FAQ's then the tech section and after that their testimonials. I didn't find a endorsement or recommendation or even acknowledgment of their system by any tire or wheel manufacturer or marketing chain. There were no statements of any kind from any vehicle (car, truck, scooter, motorcycle, RV or OTR truck) manufacturer. And nothing from any transportation related business.
I confess that made me a little skeptical. But when I read their claims that customers using their beads in motorcycle tires experienced increased tire tread life of 30-50% or more and improved fuel mileage up to 20%, I got really intrigued. So I sent them a request for information about the endorsements they must have received from motorcycle and motorcycle tire manufacturers. I will share any response I get.
I mean maybe I am wrong but if I were Bridgestone and $2 of Dynabeads would make a Nomad rear tire run 20,000 miles and a front one go 30,000 I would probably recommend their product? And if Dynabeads will make our Nomads get better gas mileage than the Harleys, I bet Maw Kaw would at least acknowledge that? Wouldn't you think? So we will see what they have?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition