Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Love the humor.....MAKES PERFECT SENSE!
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmike911 View Post
Planning another cross country trip this fall on my Vaquero. I'd like some more storage space. Any trunk ideas (or anything else innovative) that you guys have done to make some more room. I can get by with the 2 bags on the sides but if possible I want some more room.
Post pics if you have.
Thanks in advance
Mike
Two up or solo?

I made so "s" brackets that go where the saddle bag bolts attach to the frame. The "S" brackets have holes at the top from bungie cords. Stap the extra bag via bungie cargo net to the pillion and the four "S" hooks...
Works well solo... :)
Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 03-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #18

Problem solved. Now I'm selling my mustang seat and back rest and my Zumo GPS
IMG_20160303_191647.jpg

Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmike911 View Post
Problem solved. Now I'm selling my mustang seat and back rest and my Zumo GPS
Attachment 10648
Looks like an expensive way to get more storage.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Looks like an expensive way to get more storage.

If one can do it, mazel tov.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
''

So can the wife
LMAO!!!!

Like anything else on a motorcycle, it's all about personal situation and preferences. When I did my 19 day, 8,200 mile ride last year, My Voyager looked like it does when I'm just cruising around town - nothing on the back seat, nothing hanging off it . . . But I was riding solo . . . and have learned a few tips/tricks on packing things tight.

1) Three pairs of Kevlar lined jeans - wear one - roll the other two up tight
2) Decide how many T shirts you have to have with you - keep in mind you likely will pick up one or two extras along the way
3) Compression bags are great - I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I do use "Poor man's" compression bags. I roll up a T-shirt, a pair of undies, and my socks and put them in sets in a 1 gallon zip lock freezer bag. Press all the air out of them and zip it closed . . . You'd be amazed at how much packing space doing that does for you. When you take it off, put it back in the bag, inside out so you can easily tell when its laundry day . . .
4) Unless you are traveling when you know it will be cold for multiple back to back days - You really only need one set of long johns (in my case Under Armor Cold Gear). Pack this in their own Zip lock.
5) One Saddle bag had my extra Gear - Rain Gear, Leather Chaps, Spare gloves, both light and heavy weight etc . . . There was still room for some extra small things too like my tool kit.
6) Other Saddle Bag had my Emergency Gear - Tire pump, Micro Start, Tire plug kit, First aid kit, travel cover, and had room for my lap top and electronics charging bag to take in a hotel each night to charge all my stuff, as well as my ditty bag.
7) Trunk - Our main difference - I have one - you are looking for one - I just dropped in my Kawi Trunk bag with all my Zip Locks, Threw the Atlas on top of it and closed it up.

Where I used to run into a lot of problems finding room for stuff was all the little things - Where do I carry my camera, phone, readers, Rain glasses, Sun glasses, SPOT tracker, snacks, etc. The "glove boxes on the Voyagers and Vaqueros are great and can hold a bit of this stuff. But I have these pre-designated - Left one has my iphone plugged in and charging - providing tunes - Right one has my Registration documents in a sandwich bag, sunscreen, a 5-Hour Energy for emergency use, and a helmet/jacket locking cable. SO the rest of the little things needed room - This is where I use The pouch on my SageBrush designs tank bra - puts things I need often in arms reach - Two windshield bags, and a Saddlebag bar bag that Bamabrat on here makes- I Have one on the right that is a pouch and one on the left for my water bottle - Great Stuff!

I had originally planned on riding with my Kury Gran Tour bag strapped to the back seat - I was pleased that I was able to zig zag my way across the country looking like I was out for a day ride . . .

Now, had I been two up, or planning on camping . . . that's a whole different ball game . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Last edited by napom; 03-06-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #22
Advanced Member

I totally agree....it is all in how you pack things and teaching yourself how to compact stuff makes all the difference in the world. It is really pretty easy besides, how much extra weight do you want to lug your bike and it's suspension down? I can travel easily for a week with just the side bags loaded and my T-bags pack on the luggage rack and it feels like nothing is in or on the bike going down the road compared to just running around for a day ride.... better fuel economy too. My pack weighs around only about 45 lbs. full.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #23

I have to take my CPAP with me. I can't sleep without it. I've only taken one long trip on the Voyager, but the CPAP took up enough room that I had to have a travel bag. If I have to have it, I'm going to make use of it and take the laptop, Kindle, chargers, etc. If I still have room, I'll throw in binoculars, pair of sneakers and some shorts for bumming.

For a cross country trip, I camp unless staying with someone, so I trailer then and have room for LOTS of extras...32" HD TV, sound system, hot tub...

Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Hmmm am I the only one wondering if the wife'll fit in one of those trailers...?

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Hot tub? I always make room for binoculars..

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #26

Here is mine with trunk for trips.

Worked great. I am in the process of making it more of a quick release. This is mounted to one of those racks you can find on eBay that bolts on behind the saddlebags.

Here it is without the trunk, which is how it is most of the time.

T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Last edited by talon; 03-09-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Talon that is a very nice and tasteful trunk setup on the Vaquero....good job. You nailed it.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
Talon that is a very nice and tasteful trunk setup on the Vaquero....good job. You nailed it.
Thanks for the comp.

T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Good job, Talon.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.