Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernomad View Post
They aren't "garbage" per say....more like antiquated. Old technology.

Cupping is attributed to inflation pressure, not the tire itself. It can be avoided by running the correct tire pressure for the tire used and checking the pressure often.
There us a good reason I/we call em Brickstones. On my 01 i wore the bricks out and installed metzlers made in Germany, and the bike was stolen. So I had to suffer another set of bricks

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJeff View Post
Stock = bias ply. Yup.

Regarding radials, I have only dealt with them on modern sportbikes. Which have mag wheels. And of course are tubeless. All of my old bikes (airhead, K bikes, Sportster), I had no choice but to run bias ply as radials were not available in the appropriate size. The Vulcan does have radial options so my question is can a tube be ran in radials? My Classic has spoked wheels of course.
The only way to run tubes is change the wheels to tube type. You may not run tubes in stock wheels safely, while i am sure some do and have it isn't safe. Honda did an article in Popular mechanics years ago on this and had a lot of valid reasons why.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #18

I need a new rear tire. Put on a Dunlop Elite bias on the front last year so can I put a radial on the rear? If so what recommendations are there. I can buy an Avon Cobra bias for $150.00 so I'm tempted go that route. Does the radial version make that much difference? if so what would it be. Probably opening a huge thread here but I'm curious
Thanks

Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
The only way to run tubes is change the wheels to tube type. You may not run tubes in stock wheels safely, while i am sure some do and have it isn't safe. Honda did an article in Popular mechanics years ago on this and had a lot of valid reasons why.
I am running tubes now, with spoked wheels. Did you mean to say "tubeless" in place of "tube"?

By virtue of my spoked wheels, I have to run tubes. I was asking can I run radials with a tube.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #20

Probably all you need to know on tires.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-tires-101-guide

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #21

TYVM. Now I know :)

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJeff View Post
I am running tubes now, with spoked wheels. Did you mean to say "tubeless" in place of "tube"?

By virtue of my spoked wheels, I have to run tubes. I was asking can I run radials with a tube.
yes I did mean to say tubeless type wheels. Since you have spokes you can't run tires with out tubes

Yes you can run radials with tubes on spoke wheels.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I need a new rear tire. Put on a Dunlop Elite bias on the front last year so can I put a radial on the rear? If so what recommendations are there. I can buy an Avon Cobra bias for $150.00 so I'm tempted go that route. Does the radial version make that much difference? if so what would it be. Probably opening a huge thread here but I'm curious
Thanks
NO ! You may not run a bias ply on the front and a radial on the rear. You may run a radial on the front and a bias ply on the rear however, not that this will do you any good. In the latter case it is acceptable to let the rear break loose, but not the front. In thew case of a bias ply breaking loose with a radial trailing in the rr you will crash and burn for sartin. Don't do it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #24

Thanks for your info, I will go the bias ply route for the rear. Any thoughts on the Avon Cobra vs say the Michelin Commander?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Thanks for your info, I will go the bias ply route for the rear. Any thoughts on the Avon Cobra vs say the Michelin Commander?
I never had the Michelin Commander, so I can't say.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #26

I had real good service from the avon cobra on the front on my 08 nomad. I ran 40 psi cold in it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"