Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #16

battery question

I got 8 years out of my battery, with no tender connected to it. I put it on a regular charger for a few hours maybe twice throughout the winter storage period. I hope my new battery lasts as long.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

battery question

recumbentbob
A stock battery is sealed and AGM type. I would take that battery to the dealer and ask how it got there. That is not the oem battery. My 01 had the same oem battery the 06 has.

That bit of news is somewhat upsetting.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #18

battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
recumbentbob
A stock battery is sealed and AGM type. I would take that battery to the dealer and ask how it got there. That is not the oem battery. My 01 had the same oem battery the 06 has.

That bit of news is somewhat upsetting.
I called the dealer and they told me to bring the battery in and they will give me a new one.
Tomorrow when I'm there I'll ask how it got there.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #19

battery question

I replaced mine with an AGM one, I figured if it lasts half as long I'll be doing ok.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #20

battery question

Quote:

TC it would be a better thing to drag tht battery in to some place around 50 degrees in winter with the vinals. The cold shrinks the vinals and pulls hard on the stitching.
Not going to happen Mac
I know what you are talking about, I have read your posts on the subject before.
I took the battery out once, what a pain in the balls. The only time it is coming out again is when a new one is going in.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

battery question

Yeah TC I hear that.... I enjoy suffering... Who ever designed the 1600 bat box should be crucified.

recumbentbob
Somebody pulled a switcharoo on that battery. You bought the bike NEW and that is not the oem battery! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Be nice to the managers, because they have or had a thief working for them. They may want to know that, or they may have found him already and fired him. Unless the whole place is full of scumbags.

Was your tool kit complete? Not much there of any real value, but it should not have been tampered with at all.

Was anything else seemingly unusual with this bike? Were there tooling marks on things that should not have been done at the dealer to crate assemble this bike?

I KNOW this is no AGM battery because you can not test a cell on any AGM battery period.

The first guy you see should be the general manager. Then let him call the shots. He should be interested in any thieves he has hired.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #22

battery question

My OEM battery is 7 years old. Only 17k miles. I started putting it on a tender when I bought it 3 years ago.

It is YUASA brand.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #23

battery question

Quote:
Yeah TC I hear that.... I enjoy suffering... Who ever designed the 1600 bat box should be crucified.

recumbentbob
Somebody pulled a switcharoo on that battery. You bought the bike NEW and that is not the oem battery! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Be nice to the managers, because they have or had a thief working for them. They may want to know that, or they may have found him already and fired him. Unless the whole place is full of scumbags.

Was your tool kit complete? Not much there of any real value, but it should not have been tampered with at all.

Was anything else seemingly unusual with this bike? Were there tooling marks on things that should not have been done at the dealer to crate assemble this bike?

I KNOW this is no AGM battery because you can not test a cell on any AGM battery period.

The first guy you see should be the general manager. Then let him call the shots. He should be interested in any thieves he has hired.

I'll let you know, I called week before last and the owner said he would replace the battery under warranty even though it is out of warranty on the battery.

They have been very good to me and easy to deal with.
Nothing else unusual on the bike.

The only thing I can figure is "maybe" because the bike was over a year old when I bout it new they went ahead and put a new cheap battery in it.

It was a left over 08 I bought in March of 09.

I'll let you know I'll be there right after work today.

Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #24

battery question

The dealer said they put the batteries from new bikes on a shelf and when the bike is sold they test it if it is bad they replace it with a new battery. In my case it was a Parts Unlimited battery.
They are replacing it with a Yuasa brand I paid $40 to upgrade to a better battery in the Yuasa line.

I probably shouldn't have had to pay the extra but that was a lot better than a $100 If I hadn't called and taken the old one in.

Bob
VBA #01084

"

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

battery question

Geese you paid 40 bucks? Man if it were me i would have gone there with a bad hangover and a califonia framing hammer. It would have been Yes Sir, Right Away Sir can we get you coffee?

I did threaten the service manager in cal with my dead u joint still in the drive shaft. That was before they touched the bike, and me telling them Hell would break loose if they messed up anything, and or i found so much as a finger print.

Then I had to go put the bad drive shaft back in and ride there. It was ALL Yes Sir then. Out in Cal they are not used to wild cannons from Cow Hampster.

bein a x dealer tech i know how to tawk...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #26

battery question

I just keep the Battery Tender Jr. plugged in when the bike is going to sit for more than 2-3 weeks at a time (usually only when it's too cold to ride here in Utah) and so far, it's done great for me. The only time I need to replace my battery is when the one I have dies. :-)'

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #27

battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax5105
I just keep the Battery Tender Jr. plugged in when the bike is going to sit for more than 2-3 weeks at a time (usually only when it's too cold to ride here in Utah) and so far, it's done great for me. [color=Yellow]The only time I need to replace my battery is when the one I have dies.[/color] :-)'
??? What other reason would a person have for changing it. :-/
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

battery question

Well I got this apx 1997 battery in my cage, and it had issues. I am finding that I can reduce these issues with the anti sulaftion pulse chargers out newer in the market.

Thatbatter accted up 2 falls back, and accted up again last fall. No issues so far this fall, and I am getting great test readings. This is a pretty old lead acid (add and check water under the caps)

I expect no a day less than 8 years from my Nomad oem agm battery, and I might get 16 if I live so long. Best 20 bucks i ever spent.

Just bought two more, one for the Bob Cat another for the 18Ah lawn tractor and these are on now and dedicated to these 2 items. This equipt isn't mine, but it might as well be.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
Advanced Member

battery question

10 year old battery in one Nomad and an 8 year old battery in the other Nomad.
10 year old battery has over 65,000 miles and the 8 year old battery has over 55,000.
The Nomads can and do sit in the unheated garage over the winter for up to 5 months without being started and we have never, ever charged them or used any kind of battery tender.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #30

battery question

The battery on my 2003 that I brought in Sept of 2002 last almost 3 years but I dont have a lot of miles. I ve always put the battery tender on it if the tempt went below 40 degrees. As far as it not being the original does not surprize me. Mac referred to checking the tool kit. I did not even check mine untill after I had the bike about six months. When I did check it I did not have one. When I told the dealer, they said I had one when they sold it to me. Never did get one from them ended up just building my own. Always figured to buy the original just never seen one for sale.